How do I get an image to float down the screen with the page ??

  • bscott@stockdogsaction.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 7, 2001
      Bill Scott
      24655 Foster Road
      Corning, California 96021
      800-510-5961
    • Ron Woodall
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 7, 2001
        Hi Bill:

        Interesting question. However, you may not like the solution.

        What you are looking for is what is called a static background image. At
        the moment MSIE 5+, Mozilla 0.8.1 (buggy) and possibly iCab for the Macs
        and Konqueror for Linux support the function (untested).

        It involves using the CSS property, "background-attachment:" with the
        "fixed" value. A working example can be found on the Compendium of HTML
        Elements at the address below. Go to the Main Manu, click on CSS then
        Properties then "background:". Scroll down the page a bit and you'll see a
        working graphic. Click on the graphic, it will open a window with it
        working on your browser (if your browser supports it). If not, the results
        will be inconsistant with the description. If it does function on your
        browser, view the source of the window and copy the syntax to your editor,
        save it and view it in your browser again. Modify to suit your purposes.

        I hope this helps.

        Ron Woodall
        ---------------------------------------
        Ron Woodall
        nor@...

        The Compendium of HTML Elements

        - available at/disponible à:
      • Stephen Riddle
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 9, 2001
          Hi Bill:

          Here is a sample HTML Page that you may adapt as needed.
          Let me know if you need more direction,
          Stephen Riddle

          <head>
          <title>Sample Floating Item</title>
          <!--
          /*************************************
          Note: This style may be in an external
          style sheet or written as an attribute
          to an html element.
          *************************************/
          #sample
          {
          position:absolute;
          top:1px;
          }

          -->
          <!-- Hide It!
          /* I usually stick
          javascripts into external js files so the
          same script can be used by multiple pages. */
          /*
          Note that the call for the function looke like this:
          floater(layerName, verticalDistance, horizontalDistance, minDistance);
          */
          /*************************************************

          This javascript is an adaptation of my plainer
          flotation.js. It increases the parameters to
          the function to include a one, (minDistance) which is
          the minimum distance between the top of the dashboard
          in question and the top of the document. The variable,
          panel is the name of the layer, distance is vertical
          distance and rightward is horizontal distance.

          function floater ()
          {
          panel = arguments[0];
          distance = arguments[1];
          rightward = arguments[2];
          minDistance = arguments[3];
          if(document.layers)
          {
          //The Code for Ns4
          if (window.pageYOffset > minDistance)
          {
          document.layers[panel].top = eval (window.pageYOffset + distance);
          document.layers[panel].left = eval (window.pageXOffset +
          window.innerWidth - rightward);
          }
          }
          else if(document.all)
          {
          if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Opera') < 0)
          {
          if (document.body.scrollTop > minDistance)
          {
          //The Code for Internet Explorer
          document.all[panel].style.posTop = eval (document.body.scrollTop +
          distance);
          document.all[panel].style.posLeft = eval (document.body.scrollLeft
          + document.body.clientWidth - rightward);
          }
          }
          else
          {
          if(window.pageYOffset > minDistance)
          {
          //The Code for NS6 and Opera
          document.getElementById(panel).style.top = eval
          (window.pageYOffset + distance);
          document.getElementById(panel).style.left = eval
          (window.pageXOffset + window.innerWidth - rightward);
          }
          }
          }
          else if(document.getElementById)
          {
          if(window.pageYOffset > minDistance)
          {
          //The Code for NS6 and Opera
          document.getElementById(panel).style.top = eval (window.pageYOffset
          + distance);
          document.getElementById(panel).style.left = eval (window.pageXOffset
          + window.innerWidth - rightward);
          }
          }
          window.setTimeout("floater( panel, distance, rightward, minDistance
          )", 50);
          }

          // End Hide It! -->
          </script>
          </head>
          <!-- Note that the following script is only to fill up the page. -->
          <!-- Hide It!
          var i = 1;
          function loop ()
          {
          document.write('Line Number ' + i + '<br />');
          i ++
          if (i < 100 )
          {
          loop();
          }
          }
          loop ();
          // End Hide It! -->
          </script>
          <h1>This Div Element</h1>
          <b>is for all practical purposes<br />
          a layer!</b><br />
          Be sure that in the function call, you put the LayerName in single
          quotes, but not the numbers, otherwise the JavaScript interpretor will
          think of them as strings instead of integers.
        • Stephen Riddle
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 9, 2001
            Hi Bill,
            I just noted that my eMail client made hash of the formating.
            If you'd like, go to http://www.blueneptune.com/~stephen/float.html and
            get the page source. I'll leave it up for about a week.
            Good Luck
            Stephen
          • Bill Scott
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
              Hi All:
              Long time no ... burp .... been here ... *||:^)

              Thanks Stephen that was what I was looking for just busy ... busy

              Bill Scott
              Scott Enterprises
              http://www.domainsnregistry.com
            • Bill Scott
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
                I have a website called domainsnregistry.com on a unix server and
                I keep getting emails from merchants using my domainname and
                then users I do not know .... like ashleys@...
                does anyone know how this is done and how to stop it ???

                Bill Scott
              • Bill Hartley
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
                  Ask your hosting company....they all have different set-ups. I have been on
                  about 10 different servers over time...and their interfaces and options are
                  all different. If you get your mail on a remote site...go into your email
                  client and set message rules. You just have a domain name that is one that
                  people would use all of the time accidently.

                  Bill

                  I have a website called domainsnregistry.com on a unix server and
                  I keep getting emails from merchants using my domainname and
                  then users I do not know .... like ashleys@...
                  does anyone know how this is done and how to stop it ???

                  Bill Scott

                  Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
                  Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
                  Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/75YKVC/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/CefplB/TM

                  .

                • Jim Hall
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
                    Bill,

                    At 06:34 PM 12/11/01 -0700, you wrote:
                    >I have a website called domainsnregistry.com on a unix server and
                    >I keep getting emails from merchants using my domainname and
                    >then users I do not know .... like ashleys@...
                    >does anyone know how this is done and how to stop it ???

                    You need to go into your WebSite control panel/email setup and check out
                    your setup criteria.

                    If ashleys@... is getting through to you, then
                    santaclause@... will too.

                    Email advertisers know this and send stuff to anyname@....

                    For 90% of the Web Sites, this stuff gets through to someone.

                    The other 10% don't accept it or dump it off into a mailbox that gets full
                    and starts bouncing all incoming mail.

                    You can specify what is to be done with email addresses that don't meet
                    your criteria.

                    Regards,

                    Jim
                  • Piotr Bienkowski
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 11, 2001
                      On 11 Dec 2001 at 17:14, Bill Scott wrote:

                      > I have a website called domainsnregistry.com on a unix server and I
                      > keep getting emails from merchants using my domainname and then users
                      > I do not know .... like ashleys@... does anyone know
                      > how this is done and how to stop it ???

                      If they broadcast their emails through an open relay SMTP, they can put
                      any "From:" address they like in their e-mail.

                      Piotr
                    • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 12, 2001
                        After Bill Scott

                        It is too late! I have this problem too, and you notice how the email address changes around
                        your own, either the sender or the receiver. All you can do is filter out those that have some
                        regular repeat pattern, or likely to, via the email program, and just erase the rest physically
                        and without looking. It is a curse, but unlike the rubbish that comes through the door you don't
                        even have to look at them. They'll never give up though because it is too easy, but it is a
                        waste of their time.

                        Adrian Worsfold

                        http://www.pluralist.co.uk