[NH] Re: members' only area

  • chrispye@woodcarver.force9.co.uk
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
      Hi
      Thanks everyone for their suggestions - boy you're quick! - gives me
      some avenues to explore. I'll post the solution I end up with.
      Chris

      ---------------------------
      www.chrispye-woodcarving.com
      Dedicated to the teaching, learning, and love of woodcarving
    • Mark Pulver
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
        Larry Thomas (09:05 PM 11/15/1999) wrote:

        >This does have one problem. I have found on occassion when I am surfing a
        >web site that i can click on my URL box in Netscape and start deleting
        >sections of the name back to sucessive slashes. Then press enter. Then I
        >get a directory listing for the server site which will list like an
        >explorer directory. When this happens, I can go to any html page listed in
        >that on line folder including wanttoknow.com/secrets.html. This is not
        >true of all sites but it does happen and you should check out your server
        >before doing this.

        This depends on the server configuration...

        If this happens on your hosting service, then it's a huge security hole.
        You should bring it up to your site admin or tech support folks and have
        them configure the server to not allow directory browsing.

        Mark

        Check out the Waldorf Q: http://www.midiwall.com/q
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
          Hi Mark,

          >> This is not true of all sites but it does happen and you
          >> should check out your server before doing this.
          >
          > This depends on the server configuration...
          >
          > If this happens on your hosting service, then it's a huge
          > security hole. You should bring it up to your site admin or
          > tech support folks and have them configure the server to not
          > allow directory browsing.

          I just had them turn it on for me *on* mine, but not allow to get
          to my parent folder.

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          The NoteTab and Html List...
          mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
        • Mark Pulver
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
            Jody (10:16 AM 11/16/1999) wrote:

            Hi Jody!

            >>> This is not true of all sites but it does happen and you
            >>> should check out your server before doing this.
            >>
            >> This depends on the server configuration...
            >>
            >> If this happens on your hosting service, then it's a huge
            >> security hole. You should bring it up to your site admin or
            >> tech support folks and have them configure the server to not
            >> allow directory browsing.
            >
            >I just had them turn it on for me *on* mine, but not allow to get
            >to my parent folder.

            YIKES! :)

            Well, the problem with it Jody is that while it can be seen as a
            convenience when you just wanna drop files into a folder and point someone
            to the subdir, it's easy to forget that it's there.

            I have a lot of nooks and crannies on my site that I really don't want
            people in. Things like SQL admin pages, the source code for my search
            engine, index files and archives for things, SQL table dumps, source for an
            NNTP ripper, etc.

            Remember also that depending on the rest of the server config, it may be
            sensitive to finding "index" (or "default") .html, .htm, .shtml, .htd,
            .htdl and others in a directory. This can become a can of worms if someone
            wanders into a directory.

            Once you allow someone to walk around your site, you're opening doors for
            people to find things that they may think they want. If they even _think_
            they want it, they will get it.

            Be careful out there... :)

            Mark
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
              Hi Mark,

              >> I just had them turn it on for me *on* mine, but not allow to
              >> get to my parent folder.
              >
              > YIKES! :)

              > Once you allow someone to walk around your site, you're opening
              > doors for people to find things that they may think they want.
              > If they even _think_ they want it, they will get it.
              >

              > Be careful out there... :)

              I understand all that, but *for me* everything I have on my site
              I have it there for people to get - I don't put anything on the
              web - even under a password protected area - that I would not
              want them to have. (Not that I have one - use to use Gatekeeper
              for fun, but took it down.)

              http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              The NoteTab and Html List...
              mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
            • Marco Bernardini
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 17, 1999
                >From: chrispye@...
                >Subject: [NH] members' only area
                >I want to create a 'members' only' page on my website

                >From: "Grey Cat" <greycat@...>
                >easier solution is to just give the name of the page to those who are
                >allowed on it. i.e. wanttoknow.com/secrets.html

                >From: Jody <KJB1611@...>
                >You need to go cgi or the like for good security.

                >From: Mark Pulver <mpulver@...>
                >You should bring it up to your site admin or tech support folks and have
                >them configure the server to not allow directory browsing.

                Remember also to add to your root directory the file "robots.txt" to
                disallow private directories: if you write the file "secrets.html" I guess
                you don't like a link on AltaVista... even if the file is password protected.

                To avoid directory browsing it's enough to put into it an index.html file
                pointing elsewhere with a META redirection. BTW, the file "default.htm" is
                a standard only on NT servers...

                If your provider use Apache you can do a lot of interesting things with a
                directory: for example, you can hide some files from browsing, leaving
                visible other files.

                I suggest you to download Apache server (it runs even on Win95!).
                You can run it locally at the address http://localhost (there is a way to
                add local web addressess, but it's out of topic here) and you can
                experience everything you need *before* to put online your stuff, even CGI,
                counters and so on.
                I use it to "teach Internet" without the need of a modem.

                Another solution can be a FileMaker 4.x server: the database can track
                users and passwords, giving a very personal access to visitors, and there
                is no need of CGI. Moreover, the same file can be used on Win and Mac.

                Hope this helps!

                Bye

                Marco Bernardini
                webmaster at