Re: [NH] change 2 of 3 frames

  • Lotta
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 6, 2001
      Hi Al,

      (Don, your link didn't work)

      >I may be wrong, I'm still learning this html thing, but the page you refer
      >to seems to be about changing the frames, not the content of the frames. I
      >want to change the files displayed in 2 different frames with one click on
      >a link in a 3rd frame. I don't know if this is possible with html, I've
      >since found a way of doing it with javascript but would prefer to not use
      >javascript if possible.

      You can't open two pages with the same link using only HTML, fames or no
      frames.

      Since you use frames you have two options here. Either let the link load a
      new frameset with the pages you want specified or use JavaScript.

      The method with a new frameset isn't stupid as it may first seem. You keep
      the advantages of frames and avoid of at least some of the disadvantages.
      If you don't want to do that you have to use JavaScript.

      http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/frames.html#frame-update2
      http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/frames.htm

      Lotta
    • Ron Woodall
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2001
        Hi Al:

        Thanks for the note.

        At 04:28 PM 11/5/01 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hi Ron,
        >
        >I may be wrong, I'm still learning this html thing, but the page you refer
        >to seems to be about changing the frames, not the content of the frames. I
        >want to change the files displayed in 2 different frames with one click on
        >a link in a 3rd frame. I don't know if this is possible with html, I've
        >since found a way of doing it with javascript but would prefer to not use
        >javascript if possible.

        Ok, not a problem. The frames structures merely form a place for
        pages to be displayed. You still have to create the pages to be delivered
        by the frames. When you change two frames, you also change the pages that
        display in them.

        I'm trying to be succinct. Is this helping? I'm revisiting my
        frames pages to see how this can be clarified.

        >Hope this makes sense,

        It always makes sense. I just have to figure out what you're
        seeing and provide some re-direction. However, when something isn't clear
        to you, it also isn't to someone else so I've got to examine it from your
        point of view.

        Thanks for pointing out the deficiency. Let me know how this helps.

        Ron Woodall

        ---------------------------------------
        Ron Woodall
        nor@...

        The Compendium of HTML Elements

        - available at/disponible à:
      • Ron Woodall
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2001
          Hi Lotta/Al:

          At 11:03 AM 11/6/01 +0100, you wrote:
          >Hi Al,
          >
          >(Don, your link didn't work)
          >
          > >I may be wrong, I'm still learning this html thing, but the page you refer
          > >to seems to be about changing the frames, not the content of the frames. I
          > >want to change the files displayed in 2 different frames with one click on
          > >a link in a 3rd frame. I don't know if this is possible with html, I've
          > >since found a way of doing it with javascript but would prefer to not use
          > >javascript if possible.
          >
          >You can't open two pages with the same link using only HTML, fames or no
          >frames.

          Hmmm, I might be misreading this but I _do_ open two/multiple
          pages just using HTML. I do it using nested frames. However, it is possible
          to do it with SSI as well without having to resort to JavaScript.

          >Since you use frames you have two options here. Either let the link load a
          >new frameset with the pages you want specified or use JavaScript.

          Yup, now you got it. However, don't forget SSI. If you have it
          available on your server it is a very real option.

          >The method with a new frameset isn't stupid as it may first seem. You keep
          >the advantages of frames and avoid of at least some of the disadvantages.
          >If you don't want to do that you have to use JavaScript.
          >
          >http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/frames.html#frame-update2
          >http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/frames.htm

          Your logic is correct but your prose is suspect. I'm reviewing my
          pages to see if I can clarify the issue. Thanks to you all for this discussion.

          Ron Woodall

          ---------------------------------------

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2001
            Hi,

            > >You can't open two pages with the same link using only HTML, fames or no
            > >frames.
            >
            > Hmmm, I might be misreading this but I _do_ open two/multiple
            >pages just using HTML. I do it using nested frames.

            OK, I'll rephrase.You can't target two frames from the same link. :)

            Lotta
          • Al Schoepp
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 7, 2001
              Hi Lotta, Ron and all the others who helped.

              I guess the 2 frameset pages was too obvious for me but once explained it
              seems so obvious (and it will do just what I want). I wanted to avoid the
              use of javascript if I could since I know some people who will use the site
              keep it turned off for security reasons.

              Thanks,
              Al