[NH] Re: members' only area

  • Bill Scott
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 15, 1999
      Hi Chris:

      I used a cgi script called access denied ... your ISP must be able
      to run cgi scripts
      you can see it in action by clicking on my Online Puppy Link below
      then click on
      the articles link .....

      ........ it was easy to install if you have worked with cgi
      scripts and are a wee bit familiar with Unix conventions ...
      It is free for the down loading just go to solutionscripts.com and
      download and install it ... comes with directions ...
      # Access Denied version 1.1
      #
      # Created by: Solution Scripts
      # Email: solutions@...
      # Web: http://solutionscripts.com

      Happy Stockdoggin......

      Bill *||:>)

      Border Collies N Stuff

      http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/index.html

      Online Puppy Tutorial

      http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/puppies.htm
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 15, 1999
        Hi Grey,

        > ...just give the name of the page to those who are allowed on
        > it. i.e. wanttoknow.com/secrets.html

        That is good for just regular stuff that you only want to keep
        the average user away from, but has to used on the first level.
        Look at these for instance:

        http://www.sureword.com/album/albums/
        http://www.sureword.com/album/albimg/

        Joe Barta's GateKeeper is a little harder to get into and he said
        nobody ever has told him they could get in. He says it can be
        done though.

        You need to go cgi or the like for good security.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab and Html List...
        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 15, 1999
          Hi Kate,

          At 07:11 PM 11/15/1999 -0500, you wrote:
          >While you can get java apps which will let you password a web page, an
          >easier solution is to just give the name of the page to those who are
          >allowed on it. i.e. wanttoknow.com/secrets.html
          >
          >With this, regular surfers will just go to wanttoknow.com and only your
          >chosen ones will know to type in the extra page name!

          This does have one problem. I have found on occassion when I am surfing a
          web site that i can click on my URL box in Netscape and start deleting
          sections of the name back to sucessive slashes. Then press enter. Then I
          get a directory listing for the server site which will list like an
          explorer directory. When this happens, I can go to any html page listed in
          that on line folder including wanttoknow.com/secrets.html. This is not
          true of all sites but it does happen and you should check out your server
          before doing this.

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
        • chrispye@woodcarver.force9.co.uk
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
            Hi
            Thanks everyone for their suggestions - boy you're quick! - gives me
            some avenues to explore. I'll post the solution I end up with.
            Chris

            ---------------------------
            www.chrispye-woodcarving.com
            Dedicated to the teaching, learning, and love of woodcarving
          • Mark Pulver
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
              Larry Thomas (09:05 PM 11/15/1999) wrote:

              >This does have one problem. I have found on occassion when I am surfing a
              >web site that i can click on my URL box in Netscape and start deleting
              >sections of the name back to sucessive slashes. Then press enter. Then I
              >get a directory listing for the server site which will list like an
              >explorer directory. When this happens, I can go to any html page listed in
              >that on line folder including wanttoknow.com/secrets.html. This is not
              >true of all sites but it does happen and you should check out your server
              >before doing this.

              This depends on the server configuration...

              If this happens on your hosting service, then it's a huge security hole.
              You should bring it up to your site admin or tech support folks and have
              them configure the server to not allow directory browsing.

              Mark

              Check out the Waldorf Q: http://www.midiwall.com/q
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
                Hi Mark,

                >> This is not true of all sites but it does happen and you
                >> should check out your server before doing this.
                >
                > This depends on the server configuration...
                >
                > If this happens on your hosting service, then it's a huge
                > security hole. You should bring it up to your site admin or
                > tech support folks and have them configure the server to not
                > allow directory browsing.

                I just had them turn it on for me *on* mine, but not allow to get
                to my parent folder.

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
                  Jody (10:16 AM 11/16/1999) wrote:

                  Hi Jody!

                  >>> This is not true of all sites but it does happen and you
                  >>> should check out your server before doing this.
                  >>
                  >> This depends on the server configuration...
                  >>
                  >> If this happens on your hosting service, then it's a huge
                  >> security hole. You should bring it up to your site admin or
                  >> tech support folks and have them configure the server to not
                  >> allow directory browsing.
                  >
                  >I just had them turn it on for me *on* mine, but not allow to get
                  >to my parent folder.

                  YIKES! :)

                  Well, the problem with it Jody is that while it can be seen as a
                  convenience when you just wanna drop files into a folder and point someone
                  to the subdir, it's easy to forget that it's there.

                  I have a lot of nooks and crannies on my site that I really don't want
                  people in. Things like SQL admin pages, the source code for my search
                  engine, index files and archives for things, SQL table dumps, source for an
                  NNTP ripper, etc.

                  Remember also that depending on the rest of the server config, it may be
                  sensitive to finding "index" (or "default") .html, .htm, .shtml, .htd,
                  .htdl and others in a directory. This can become a can of worms if someone
                  wanders into a directory.

                  Once you allow someone to walk around your site, you're opening doors for
                  people to find things that they may think they want. If they even _think_
                  they want it, they will get it.

                  Be careful out there... :)

                  Mark
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
                    Hi Mark,

                    >> I just had them turn it on for me *on* mine, but not allow to
                    >> get to my parent folder.
                    >
                    > YIKES! :)

                    > Once you allow someone to walk around your site, you're opening
                    > doors for people to find things that they may think they want.
                    > If they even _think_ they want it, they will get it.
                    >

                    > Be careful out there... :)

                    I understand all that, but *for me* everything I have on my site
                    I have it there for people to get - I don't put anything on the
                    web - even under a password protected area - that I would not
                    want them to have. (Not that I have one - use to use Gatekeeper
                    for fun, but took it down.)

                    http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                    The NoteTab and Html List...
                    mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                  • Marco Bernardini
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 17, 1999
                      >From: chrispye@...
                      >Subject: [NH] members' only area
                      >I want to create a 'members' only' page on my website

                      >From: "Grey Cat" <greycat@...>
                      >easier solution is to just give the name of the page to those who are
                      >allowed on it. i.e. wanttoknow.com/secrets.html

                      >From: Jody <KJB1611@...>
                      >You need to go cgi or the like for good security.

                      >From: Mark Pulver <mpulver@...>
                      >You should bring it up to your site admin or tech support folks and have
                      >them configure the server to not allow directory browsing.

                      Remember also to add to your root directory the file "robots.txt" to
                      disallow private directories: if you write the file "secrets.html" I guess
                      you don't like a link on AltaVista... even if the file is password protected.

                      To avoid directory browsing it's enough to put into it an index.html file
                      pointing elsewhere with a META redirection. BTW, the file "default.htm" is
                      a standard only on NT servers...

                      If your provider use Apache you can do a lot of interesting things with a
                      directory: for example, you can hide some files from browsing, leaving
                      visible other files.

                      I suggest you to download Apache server (it runs even on Win95!).
                      You can run it locally at the address http://localhost (there is a way to
                      add local web addressess, but it's out of topic here) and you can
                      experience everything you need *before* to put online your stuff, even CGI,
                      counters and so on.
                      I use it to "teach Internet" without the need of a modem.

                      Another solution can be a FileMaker 4.x server: the database can track
                      users and passwords, giving a very personal access to visitors, and there
                      is no need of CGI. Moreover, the same file can be used on Win and Mac.

                      Hope this helps!

                      Bye

                      Marco Bernardini
                      webmaster at