[NH] Re: members' only area

  • Grey Cat
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 15, 1999
      While you can get java apps which will let you password a web page, an
      easier solution is to just give the name of the page to those who are
      allowed on it. i.e. wanttoknow.com/secrets.html

      With this, regular surfers will just go to wanttoknow.com and only your
      chosen ones will know to type in the extra page name!

      Cat
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 15, 1999
        Hi Chris:

        I used a cgi script called access denied ... your ISP must be able
        to run cgi scripts
        you can see it in action by clicking on my Online Puppy Link below
        then click on
        the articles link .....

        ........ it was easy to install if you have worked with cgi
        scripts and are a wee bit familiar with Unix conventions ...
        It is free for the down loading just go to solutionscripts.com and
        download and install it ... comes with directions ...
        # Access Denied version 1.1
        #
        # Created by: Solution Scripts
        # Email: solutions@...
        # Web: http://solutionscripts.com

        Happy Stockdoggin......

        Bill *||:>)

        Border Collies N Stuff

        http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/index.html

        Online Puppy Tutorial

        http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/puppies.htm
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 15, 1999
          Hi Grey,

          > ...just give the name of the page to those who are allowed on
          > it. i.e. wanttoknow.com/secrets.html

          That is good for just regular stuff that you only want to keep
          the average user away from, but has to used on the first level.
          Look at these for instance:

          http://www.sureword.com/album/albums/
          http://www.sureword.com/album/albimg/

          Joe Barta's GateKeeper is a little harder to get into and he said
          nobody ever has told him they could get in. He says it can be
          done though.

          You need to go cgi or the like for good security.

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          The NoteTab and Html List...
          mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 15, 1999
            Hi Kate,

            At 07:11 PM 11/15/1999 -0500, you wrote:
            >While you can get java apps which will let you password a web page, an
            >easier solution is to just give the name of the page to those who are
            >allowed on it. i.e. wanttoknow.com/secrets.html
            >
            >With this, regular surfers will just go to wanttoknow.com and only your
            >chosen ones will know to type in the extra page name!

            This does have one problem. I have found on occassion when I am surfing a
            web site that i can click on my URL box in Netscape and start deleting
            sections of the name back to sucessive slashes. Then press enter. Then I
            get a directory listing for the server site which will list like an
            explorer directory. When this happens, I can go to any html page listed in
            that on line folder including wanttoknow.com/secrets.html. This is not
            true of all sites but it does happen and you should check out your server
            before doing this.

            Regards,

            Larry
            larryt@...
          • chrispye@woodcarver.force9.co.uk
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
              Hi
              Thanks everyone for their suggestions - boy you're quick! - gives me
              some avenues to explore. I'll post the solution I end up with.
              Chris

              ---------------------------
              www.chrispye-woodcarving.com
              Dedicated to the teaching, learning, and love of woodcarving
            • Mark Pulver
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
                Larry Thomas (09:05 PM 11/15/1999) wrote:

                >This does have one problem. I have found on occassion when I am surfing a
                >web site that i can click on my URL box in Netscape and start deleting
                >sections of the name back to sucessive slashes. Then press enter. Then I
                >get a directory listing for the server site which will list like an
                >explorer directory. When this happens, I can go to any html page listed in
                >that on line folder including wanttoknow.com/secrets.html. This is not
                >true of all sites but it does happen and you should check out your server
                >before doing this.

                This depends on the server configuration...

                If this happens on your hosting service, then it's a huge security hole.
                You should bring it up to your site admin or tech support folks and have
                them configure the server to not allow directory browsing.

                Mark

                Check out the Waldorf Q: http://www.midiwall.com/q
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
                  Hi Mark,

                  >> This is not true of all sites but it does happen and you
                  >> should check out your server before doing this.
                  >
                  > This depends on the server configuration...
                  >
                  > If this happens on your hosting service, then it's a huge
                  > security hole. You should bring it up to your site admin or
                  > tech support folks and have them configure the server to not
                  > allow directory browsing.

                  I just had them turn it on for me *on* mine, but not allow to get
                  to my parent folder.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
                    Jody (10:16 AM 11/16/1999) wrote:

                    Hi Jody!

                    >>> This is not true of all sites but it does happen and you
                    >>> should check out your server before doing this.
                    >>
                    >> This depends on the server configuration...
                    >>
                    >> If this happens on your hosting service, then it's a huge
                    >> security hole. You should bring it up to your site admin or
                    >> tech support folks and have them configure the server to not
                    >> allow directory browsing.
                    >
                    >I just had them turn it on for me *on* mine, but not allow to get
                    >to my parent folder.

                    YIKES! :)

                    Well, the problem with it Jody is that while it can be seen as a
                    convenience when you just wanna drop files into a folder and point someone
                    to the subdir, it's easy to forget that it's there.

                    I have a lot of nooks and crannies on my site that I really don't want
                    people in. Things like SQL admin pages, the source code for my search
                    engine, index files and archives for things, SQL table dumps, source for an
                    NNTP ripper, etc.

                    Remember also that depending on the rest of the server config, it may be
                    sensitive to finding "index" (or "default") .html, .htm, .shtml, .htd,
                    .htdl and others in a directory. This can become a can of worms if someone
                    wanders into a directory.

                    Once you allow someone to walk around your site, you're opening doors for
                    people to find things that they may think they want. If they even _think_
                    they want it, they will get it.

                    Be careful out there... :)

                    Mark
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
                      Hi Mark,

                      >> I just had them turn it on for me *on* mine, but not allow to
                      >> get to my parent folder.
                      >
                      > YIKES! :)

                      > Once you allow someone to walk around your site, you're opening
                      > doors for people to find things that they may think they want.
                      > If they even _think_ they want it, they will get it.
                      >

                      > Be careful out there... :)

                      I understand all that, but *for me* everything I have on my site
                      I have it there for people to get - I don't put anything on the
                      web - even under a password protected area - that I would not
                      want them to have. (Not that I have one - use to use Gatekeeper
                      for fun, but took it down.)

                      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                      The NoteTab and Html List...
                      mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                    • Marco Bernardini
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 17, 1999
                        >From: chrispye@...
                        >Subject: [NH] members' only area
                        >I want to create a 'members' only' page on my website

                        >From: "Grey Cat" <greycat@...>
                        >easier solution is to just give the name of the page to those who are
                        >allowed on it. i.e. wanttoknow.com/secrets.html

                        >From: Jody <KJB1611@...>
                        >You need to go cgi or the like for good security.

                        >From: Mark Pulver <mpulver@...>
                        >You should bring it up to your site admin or tech support folks and have
                        >them configure the server to not allow directory browsing.

                        Remember also to add to your root directory the file "robots.txt" to
                        disallow private directories: if you write the file "secrets.html" I guess
                        you don't like a link on AltaVista... even if the file is password protected.

                        To avoid directory browsing it's enough to put into it an index.html file
                        pointing elsewhere with a META redirection. BTW, the file "default.htm" is
                        a standard only on NT servers...

                        If your provider use Apache you can do a lot of interesting things with a
                        directory: for example, you can hide some files from browsing, leaving
                        visible other files.

                        I suggest you to download Apache server (it runs even on Win95!).
                        You can run it locally at the address http://localhost (there is a way to
                        add local web addressess, but it's out of topic here) and you can
                        experience everything you need *before* to put online your stuff, even CGI,
                        counters and so on.
                        I use it to "teach Internet" without the need of a modem.

                        Another solution can be a FileMaker 4.x server: the database can track
                        users and passwords, giving a very personal access to visitors, and there
                        is no need of CGI. Moreover, the same file can be used on Win and Mac.

                        Hope this helps!

                        Bye

                        Marco Bernardini
                        webmaster at