Re: [NH] change 2 of 3 frames

  • Lotta
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2001
      Hi Al,

      >I'm working on a web page and want to change the content of 2 frames
      >with one click in a 3rd frame. Is this possible without going to a
      >script?

      With only HTML you need to load a new frameset (which isn't a bad idea).
      Take a look here.
      http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/frames.html#frame-update2

      Lotta
    • Ron Woodall
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2001
        Hi Al:

        Go to the Compendium of HTML Elements, follow the links: Notes -->
        Coding Notes --> Frames and you'll see two sub-headings, "Changing" and
        "Multiples." If you're not that familiar with frames, start at "Simple."

        I hope this helps.

        Ron Woodall

        At 04:36 AM 11/5/01 +0000, you wrote:
        >Hi,
        >
        >I'm working on a web page and want to change the content of 2 frames
        >with one click in a 3rd frame. Is this possible without going to a
        >script?
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Al

        ---------------------------------------
        Ron Woodall
        nor@...

        The Compendium of HTML Elements

        - available at/disponible à:
      • Al Schoepp
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 5, 2001
          Hi Ron,

          I may be wrong, I'm still learning this html thing, but the page you refer
          to seems to be about changing the frames, not the content of the frames. I
          want to change the files displayed in 2 different frames with one click on
          a link in a 3rd frame. I don't know if this is possible with html, I've
          since found a way of doing it with javascript but would prefer to not use
          javascript if possible.

          Hope this makes sense,
          Al

          PS the Compendium looks like a great site, I'll be making use of it now
          that I've seen it.

          At 01:21 PM 05/11/2001 -0500, you wrote:

          >Hi Al:
          >
          > Go to the Compendium of HTML Elements, follow the links: Notes -->
          >Coding Notes --> Frames and you'll see two sub-headings, "Changing" and
          >"Multiples." If you're not that familiar with frames, start at "Simple."
          >
          > I hope this helps.
          >
          > Ron Woodall
          >
          >At 04:36 AM 11/5/01 +0000, you wrote:
          > >Hi,
          > >
          > >I'm working on a web page and want to change the content of 2 frames
          > >with one click in a 3rd frame. Is this possible without going to a
          > >script?
          > >
          > >Thanks,
          > >Al

          >Ron Woodall
          >nor@...
          >
          >The Compendium of HTML Elements
          >"your essential web publishing resource"
          >
          >- available at/disponible à:
          >http://au.htmlcompendium.org/index.htm (Australia)
          >http://www.htmlcompendium.org/index.htm (Europe and North America)

        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2001
            Hi Al,

            (Don, your link didn't work)

            >I may be wrong, I'm still learning this html thing, but the page you refer
            >to seems to be about changing the frames, not the content of the frames. I
            >want to change the files displayed in 2 different frames with one click on
            >a link in a 3rd frame. I don't know if this is possible with html, I've
            >since found a way of doing it with javascript but would prefer to not use
            >javascript if possible.

            You can't open two pages with the same link using only HTML, fames or no
            frames.

            Since you use frames you have two options here. Either let the link load a
            new frameset with the pages you want specified or use JavaScript.

            The method with a new frameset isn't stupid as it may first seem. You keep
            the advantages of frames and avoid of at least some of the disadvantages.
            If you don't want to do that you have to use JavaScript.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2001
              Hi Al:

              Thanks for the note.

              At 04:28 PM 11/5/01 -0500, you wrote:
              >Hi Ron,
              >
              >I may be wrong, I'm still learning this html thing, but the page you refer
              >to seems to be about changing the frames, not the content of the frames. I
              >want to change the files displayed in 2 different frames with one click on
              >a link in a 3rd frame. I don't know if this is possible with html, I've
              >since found a way of doing it with javascript but would prefer to not use
              >javascript if possible.

              Ok, not a problem. The frames structures merely form a place for
              pages to be displayed. You still have to create the pages to be delivered
              by the frames. When you change two frames, you also change the pages that
              display in them.

              I'm trying to be succinct. Is this helping? I'm revisiting my
              frames pages to see how this can be clarified.

              >Hope this makes sense,

              It always makes sense. I just have to figure out what you're
              seeing and provide some re-direction. However, when something isn't clear
              to you, it also isn't to someone else so I've got to examine it from your
              point of view.

              Thanks for pointing out the deficiency. Let me know how this helps.

              Ron Woodall

              ---------------------------------------
              Ron Woodall
              nor@...

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2001
                Hi Lotta/Al:

                At 11:03 AM 11/6/01 +0100, you wrote:
                >Hi Al,
                >
                >(Don, your link didn't work)
                >
                > >I may be wrong, I'm still learning this html thing, but the page you refer
                > >to seems to be about changing the frames, not the content of the frames. I
                > >want to change the files displayed in 2 different frames with one click on
                > >a link in a 3rd frame. I don't know if this is possible with html, I've
                > >since found a way of doing it with javascript but would prefer to not use
                > >javascript if possible.
                >
                >You can't open two pages with the same link using only HTML, fames or no
                >frames.

                Hmmm, I might be misreading this but I _do_ open two/multiple
                pages just using HTML. I do it using nested frames. However, it is possible
                to do it with SSI as well without having to resort to JavaScript.

                >Since you use frames you have two options here. Either let the link load a
                >new frameset with the pages you want specified or use JavaScript.

                Yup, now you got it. However, don't forget SSI. If you have it
                available on your server it is a very real option.

                >The method with a new frameset isn't stupid as it may first seem. You keep
                >the advantages of frames and avoid of at least some of the disadvantages.
                >If you don't want to do that you have to use JavaScript.
                >
                >http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/frames.html#frame-update2
                >http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/frames.htm

                Your logic is correct but your prose is suspect. I'm reviewing my
                pages to see if I can clarify the issue. Thanks to you all for this discussion.

                Ron Woodall

                ---------------------------------------
                Ron Woodall
                nor@...

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 6, 2001
                  Hi,

                  > >You can't open two pages with the same link using only HTML, fames or no
                  > >frames.
                  >
                  > Hmmm, I might be misreading this but I _do_ open two/multiple
                  >pages just using HTML. I do it using nested frames.

                  OK, I'll rephrase.You can't target two frames from the same link. :)

                  Lotta
                • Al Schoepp
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 7, 2001
                    Hi Lotta, Ron and all the others who helped.

                    I guess the 2 frameset pages was too obvious for me but once explained it
                    seems so obvious (and it will do just what I want). I wanted to avoid the
                    use of javascript if I could since I know some people who will use the site
                    keep it turned off for security reasons.

                    Thanks,
                    Al