Re: [NH] change 2 of 3 frames

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2001
      Nope, you need to have a new frame page load that has the two frames changed
      in it to do it.

      Example, if you have frame page 1.htm (which contains 1a.htm, 1b.htm and
      1c.htm) and want by clicking on a link to change two of those framed pages,
      you need to load a new page, 2.htm (which contains say, 1a.htm, 2a.htm and
      2b.htm).

      So what you are doing is changing just one page with the click (ie neither
      of the framED pages are changed by the click, rather the FRAME page is
      changed) and that page in turn loads the correct mix of pages within its
      frames.

      --
      Don Passenger
      mailto:dpasseng@...
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2001
        Since I have nvconfused the heck out of me ...

        http://www.htmlcompendium.org/coding-notes/4fr-m.htm is the direct link to
        the page

        one of the reasons not to use frames is that you cannot give a direct link
        .. consider adding a reframer script to the compendium and then give direct
        links to the page you wish us to look at

        it took me a while to figure out quite what you were talking about Ron.

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2001
          Hi Don:

          Yup, you're right, well almost anyway.

          At 01:47 PM 11/5/01 -0500, you wrote:
          >Since I have nvconfused the heck out of me ...
          >
          >http://www.htmlcompendium.org/coding-notes/4fr-m.htm is the direct link to
          >the page

          Well, yes and no. Several things here. I had to go through the
          menus in order to give Al the option of viewing only the multiples page or
          the entire group of pages. Sometimes the other pages help to establish
          where I'm coming from. It also depends on your browser and how it handles
          redirects. The Compendium is an experimental and development site and as
          such uses some pretty strange structures. This link will work if you come
          through the front door and follow the path through the site. However, if
          you go directly to that page, you _may_ be confronted with a bunch of
          errors. In your instance, you've gone through the menus so all of the
          supporting files are already loaded in your browser. Skipping them provides
          some unusual errors.

          >one of the reasons not to use frames is that you cannot give a direct link
          >.. consider adding a reframer script to the compendium and then give direct
          >links to the page you wish us to look at

          Unfortunately, there is no other way to deliver the Compendium and
          keep the 20,000+ pages accessible in some sort of organized fashion and
          it's getting worse. I'm adding another 1,000+ files in the next week or so.

          >it took me a while to figure out quite what you were talking about Ron.

          Yup and I'd love a solution that meets a balance between
          accessibility, discourages piracy and keeps all cached content current not
          to mention revenues.

          Thanks for the comments.

          Ron Woodall

          ---------------------------------------
          Ron Woodall
          nor@...

          The Compendium of HTML Elements

          - available at/disponible à:
        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 5, 2001
            Hi Ron,

            >I'm adding another 1,000+ files in the next week or so.

            So you are the guys with the htmlcompendium! Cool. Nice to have you on the
            list.

            Lotta
          • Don Passenger
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 5, 2001
              http://www.mcfedries.com/books/cightml/list/faq-Frames.asp#52
              try this link

              you need two frameset pages to do it

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 6, 2001
                Hi Lotta:

                At 09:39 PM 11/5/01 +0100, you wrote:
                >Hi Ron,
                >
                > >I'm adding another 1,000+ files in the next week or so.
                >
                >So you are the guys with the htmlcompendium! Cool. Nice to have you on the
                >list.

                Thank you for the welcome.

                Ron Woodall

                ---------------------------------------
                Ron Woodall
                nor@...

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 6, 2001
                  Hi Don:

                  Got an alternative link? This one doesn't work for me.

                  Ron

                  At 11:57 PM 11/5/01 -0500, you wrote:
                  >http://www.mcfedries.com/books/cightml/list/faq-Frames.asp#52
                  >try this link

                  ---------------------------------------
                  Ron Woodall
                  nor@...

                  The Compendium of HTML Elements

                  - available at/disponible à:
                • ArcPro
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 6, 2001
                    Please inform me about how to unsubscribe from this list.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 6, 2001
                      Please inform me about how to unsubscribe from this list. Thanks.
                      ____________________________
                      Basirah Dean, Editor

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 6, 2001
                        Hi all,

                        I find this link working at this time. I know the owner of that site was
                        changing servers this weekend and I suspect you probably hit a server
                        outage. Give it another try.
                        http://www.mcfedries.com/books/cightml/list/faq-Frames.asp#52

                        It just explains how to use a second frameset page to change two frames with
                        one click.

                        The point about ssi is a good one, or cgi for that matter with a simple
                        script and passing variables, for the more sophisticated among us.

                        Your site is very good Ron, but I found navigation confused me a bit ...
                        although I started to catch on. I am sure that is a never ending problem
                        given the enormous volume of content.