[NH] Re: members' only area

  • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 15, 1999
      Grant,

      Thanks for the link! I had to check it out since I went to school in
      Rolla, MO (UMR). I was in the first year of students that did not have to
      do programming with punchcards (fall 1983).

      On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 08:54:05 +1300 "Grant" <emerge@...> writes:
      > For an ASP solution try this article from the great 4guysfromrolla
      > site.
      >
      > Password Protecting Your Site By Rob Taylor
      > http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/080899-1.2.shtml

      Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
      http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
      My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com

    • Grey Cat
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 15, 1999
        While you can get java apps which will let you password a web page, an
        easier solution is to just give the name of the page to those who are
        allowed on it. i.e. wanttoknow.com/secrets.html

        With this, regular surfers will just go to wanttoknow.com and only your
        chosen ones will know to type in the extra page name!

        Cat
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 15, 1999
          Hi Chris:

          I used a cgi script called access denied ... your ISP must be able
          to run cgi scripts
          you can see it in action by clicking on my Online Puppy Link below
          then click on
          the articles link .....

          ........ it was easy to install if you have worked with cgi
          scripts and are a wee bit familiar with Unix conventions ...
          It is free for the down loading just go to solutionscripts.com and
          download and install it ... comes with directions ...
          # Access Denied version 1.1
          #
          # Created by: Solution Scripts
          # Email: solutions@...
          # Web: http://solutionscripts.com

          Happy Stockdoggin......

          Bill *||:>)

          Border Collies N Stuff

          http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/index.html

          Online Puppy Tutorial

          http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/puppies.htm
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 15, 1999
            Hi Grey,

            > ...just give the name of the page to those who are allowed on
            > it. i.e. wanttoknow.com/secrets.html

            That is good for just regular stuff that you only want to keep
            the average user away from, but has to used on the first level.
            Look at these for instance:

            http://www.sureword.com/album/albums/
            http://www.sureword.com/album/albimg/

            Joe Barta's GateKeeper is a little harder to get into and he said
            nobody ever has told him they could get in. He says it can be
            done though.

            You need to go cgi or the like for good security.

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            The NoteTab and Html List...
            mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 15, 1999
              Hi Kate,

              At 07:11 PM 11/15/1999 -0500, you wrote:
              >While you can get java apps which will let you password a web page, an
              >easier solution is to just give the name of the page to those who are
              >allowed on it. i.e. wanttoknow.com/secrets.html
              >
              >With this, regular surfers will just go to wanttoknow.com and only your
              >chosen ones will know to type in the extra page name!

              This does have one problem. I have found on occassion when I am surfing a
              web site that i can click on my URL box in Netscape and start deleting
              sections of the name back to sucessive slashes. Then press enter. Then I
              get a directory listing for the server site which will list like an
              explorer directory. When this happens, I can go to any html page listed in
              that on line folder including wanttoknow.com/secrets.html. This is not
              true of all sites but it does happen and you should check out your server
              before doing this.

              Regards,

              Larry
              larryt@...
            • chrispye@woodcarver.force9.co.uk
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
                Hi
                Thanks everyone for their suggestions - boy you're quick! - gives me
                some avenues to explore. I'll post the solution I end up with.
                Chris

                ---------------------------
                www.chrispye-woodcarving.com
                Dedicated to the teaching, learning, and love of woodcarving
              • Mark Pulver
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
                  Larry Thomas (09:05 PM 11/15/1999) wrote:

                  >This does have one problem. I have found on occassion when I am surfing a
                  >web site that i can click on my URL box in Netscape and start deleting
                  >sections of the name back to sucessive slashes. Then press enter. Then I
                  >get a directory listing for the server site which will list like an
                  >explorer directory. When this happens, I can go to any html page listed in
                  >that on line folder including wanttoknow.com/secrets.html. This is not
                  >true of all sites but it does happen and you should check out your server
                  >before doing this.

                  This depends on the server configuration...

                  If this happens on your hosting service, then it's a huge security hole.
                  You should bring it up to your site admin or tech support folks and have
                  them configure the server to not allow directory browsing.

                  Mark

                  Check out the Waldorf Q: http://www.midiwall.com/q
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
                    Hi Mark,

                    >> This is not true of all sites but it does happen and you
                    >> should check out your server before doing this.
                    >
                    > This depends on the server configuration...
                    >
                    > If this happens on your hosting service, then it's a huge
                    > security hole. You should bring it up to your site admin or
                    > tech support folks and have them configure the server to not
                    > allow directory browsing.

                    I just had them turn it on for me *on* mine, but not allow to get
                    to my parent folder.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
                      Jody (10:16 AM 11/16/1999) wrote:

                      Hi Jody!

                      >>> This is not true of all sites but it does happen and you
                      >>> should check out your server before doing this.
                      >>
                      >> This depends on the server configuration...
                      >>
                      >> If this happens on your hosting service, then it's a huge
                      >> security hole. You should bring it up to your site admin or
                      >> tech support folks and have them configure the server to not
                      >> allow directory browsing.
                      >
                      >I just had them turn it on for me *on* mine, but not allow to get
                      >to my parent folder.

                      YIKES! :)

                      Well, the problem with it Jody is that while it can be seen as a
                      convenience when you just wanna drop files into a folder and point someone
                      to the subdir, it's easy to forget that it's there.

                      I have a lot of nooks and crannies on my site that I really don't want
                      people in. Things like SQL admin pages, the source code for my search
                      engine, index files and archives for things, SQL table dumps, source for an
                      NNTP ripper, etc.

                      Remember also that depending on the rest of the server config, it may be
                      sensitive to finding "index" (or "default") .html, .htm, .shtml, .htd,
                      .htdl and others in a directory. This can become a can of worms if someone
                      wanders into a directory.

                      Once you allow someone to walk around your site, you're opening doors for
                      people to find things that they may think they want. If they even _think_
                      they want it, they will get it.

                      Be careful out there... :)

                      Mark
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 16, 1999
                        Hi Mark,

                        >> I just had them turn it on for me *on* mine, but not allow to
                        >> get to my parent folder.
                        >
                        > YIKES! :)

                        > Once you allow someone to walk around your site, you're opening
                        > doors for people to find things that they may think they want.
                        > If they even _think_ they want it, they will get it.
                        >

                        > Be careful out there... :)

                        I understand all that, but *for me* everything I have on my site
                        I have it there for people to get - I don't put anything on the
                        web - even under a password protected area - that I would not
                        want them to have. (Not that I have one - use to use Gatekeeper
                        for fun, but took it down.)

                        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                        The NoteTab and Html List...
                        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                      • Marco Bernardini
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 17, 1999
                          >From: chrispye@...
                          >Subject: [NH] members' only area
                          >I want to create a 'members' only' page on my website

                          >From: "Grey Cat" <greycat@...>
                          >easier solution is to just give the name of the page to those who are
                          >allowed on it. i.e. wanttoknow.com/secrets.html

                          >From: Jody <KJB1611@...>
                          >You need to go cgi or the like for good security.

                          >From: Mark Pulver <mpulver@...>
                          >You should bring it up to your site admin or tech support folks and have
                          >them configure the server to not allow directory browsing.

                          Remember also to add to your root directory the file "robots.txt" to
                          disallow private directories: if you write the file "secrets.html" I guess
                          you don't like a link on AltaVista... even if the file is password protected.

                          To avoid directory browsing it's enough to put into it an index.html file
                          pointing elsewhere with a META redirection. BTW, the file "default.htm" is
                          a standard only on NT servers...

                          If your provider use Apache you can do a lot of interesting things with a
                          directory: for example, you can hide some files from browsing, leaving
                          visible other files.

                          I suggest you to download Apache server (it runs even on Win95!).
                          You can run it locally at the address http://localhost (there is a way to
                          add local web addressess, but it's out of topic here) and you can
                          experience everything you need *before* to put online your stuff, even CGI,
                          counters and so on.
                          I use it to "teach Internet" without the need of a modem.

                          Another solution can be a FileMaker 4.x server: the database can track
                          users and passwords, giving a very personal access to visitors, and there
                          is no need of CGI. Moreover, the same file can be used on Win and Mac.

                          Hope this helps!

                          Bye

                          Marco Bernardini
                          webmaster at