Re: [NH] CSE HTML Validator Professional

  • Scott Fordin
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2001
      At 13:39 10/5/2001 -0400, Ray Shapp wrote:
      >My question: what additional advantage does Validator confer over that
      >available by using Tidy?

      The programs perform two totally different functions.

      - Tidy reformats your code to make it easier to read
      and/or take up less space, and in the process, does
      some tag clean up.

      - CSE HTML Validator checks your code for syntactic
      and structural validity (that is, coding errors),
      checks your links, provides a structural map of
      your file/site, generates error/warning/comment
      reports, and makes recommendations about coding
      style, completeness, file size, and other stuff.
      It also provides an integrated HTML editing
      environment, complete with browser pane, scratch
      pad, and many other niceties.

      Personally, I use HTML Tidy occasionally, but find CSE
      HTML Validator Pro indispensable. The latter should, I
      think, be part of every HTML coder's toolkit. I have a
      NoteTab Clip set up to pass the current file to the
      Validator, and a standard part of my routine is to use
      that clip before posting any HTML code to the Web.

      Scott
    • Randy Parrish
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2001
        If you cannot afford the pro version (which is rather pricey), they also have a free (lite) version that is not adware/spyware and works as well. It's free, and so are the two validators listed below. A bit more work, but for those of us who don't have tons of money to spend... it's terrific! :-)

        After checking the coding, if it seems correct, post it to the web and then use the wc3 validator at: http://validator.w3.org/ or Dr. Watson at: http://watson.addy.com/. Both are good services, I use them regularly. I have a shortcut to the lite version in my NTBpro.