[NH] Re: Newbie HTML question

  • tenu@sci.fi
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
      --- In ntb-html@y..., "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:

      > I have a feeling this is going to prove embarrassing ....

      Hopefully educating, not embarrassing.

      > Jorma> Easiest done with server side includes (SSI) - Google helps
      > What's a server?.... (see what I mean)

      "Server" is the machine *serving* pages to "clients", usually
      browsers.
      It's the computer of your web-site provider.

      > In my first cut, I'm trying to do this all on my on HDD with out
      actually
      > putting anything on an external web-site.

      If you can, first try with web-site - that's a lot easier way:
      put file called "test.shtml" (note the extension, it tells the
      server it needs to do extra work) on your site, contents of
      the file below:

      -------- cut here ------------
      If there's text below this line then SSI works
      <!--#include file="data.html" -->
      -------- cut here ------------

      and put file called "data.html" on your site too,
      it's contents being whatever you want.

      If you really REALLY *REALLY* want to use JavaScript
      then this might help:

      test.html:
      -------- cut here ------------
      <script src="data.js"></script>
      </head><body>

      <script language="javascript"><!--
      document.write(cell1)
      // --></script>
      <script language="javascript"><!--
      document.write(cell2)
      // --></script>

      <script language="javascript"><!--
      document.write(cell3)
      // --></script>
      <script language="javascript"><!--
      document.write(cell4)
      // --></script>

      <noscript>
      I'm sorry, this poorly coded page doesn't work without JavaScript.
      <noscript>
      -------- cut here ------------

      data.js
      -------- cut here ------------
      var cell1 = 'data in cell 1'
      var cell2 = 'data in cell 2'
      var cell3 = 'data in cell 3'
      var cell4 = 'data in '
      cell4 += 'cell 4'
      -------- cut here ------------

      cell4 above is made differently to show how to join together longer
      lines.

      Using JavaScript leaves cells empty if you have disabled JavaScript,
      that's why you shouldn't use it.

      HTML4 deprecated "languge" attribute, so you need to use
      <script type="text/javascript"> if you want to write HTML 4 code.

      I hope this helps.

      Jorma
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
        Jorma, Robert - Thank you both for your responses: I'm beginning to see a
        light at the end of the tunnel ;--) Regards ... Alec
          > I'm sorry, this poorly coded page doesn't work without JavaScript.
          > <noscript>

          Oops, use this:

          <noscript>
          I'm sorry...