BK Colorcoder

  • Amitava
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2001
      Hi Jody,

      I have downloaded BKColorCoder from notetab.net, and it is really useful.
      According to your instruction there, I have created a shortcut to it in my
      NoteTab Pro folder. But I can't see how that shortcut can be used from the
      HTML and HTML-ar libraries which I presume was what you implied. Please let
      me know if that is correct, and if so how it may be acheived.

      TIA,
      Amitava

      _________________________
      Amitava Das Gupta
      amitav@...
      amitava_dg@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2001
        Hi Amitava,

        >I have downloaded BKColorCoder from notetab.net, and it is really
        >useful. According to your instruction there, I have created a
        >shortcut to it in my NoteTab Pro folder. But I can't see how that
        >shortcut can be used from the HTML and HTML-ar libraries which I
        >presume was what you implied. Please let me know if that is
        >correct, and if so how it may be acheived.

        No, it does not work with the HTML[-ar] Libraries. Put the
        program wherever you want. Select bkcoder.exe and copy it
        (Ctrl+C, the copy icon in Windows Explorer, or whatever means you
        want to copy the executable). Go to NoteTab's main folder in
        Windows Explorer (or My Computer whichever method you use), right
        click, and click on Paste as Shortcut. Right click over the new
        shortcut added as bkcoder.exe and click on Rename. Rename the
        shortcut to ColWiz.exe. You will probably need to retart
        NoteTab; do so. Click on the Help menu and you should see HTMLib
        Color Wizard. Click on it to open BKColor Coder. What is
        happening is you are faking NoteTab out so to speak. It thinks
        it is opening HTMLib Color Wizard.

        This is what my shortcut Properties look like; you should have something similar when clicking on the shortcut (ColWiz.exe) you made.

        Target:
        E:\Programs\BKColour\bkcoder.exe

        Start in:
        E:\Programs\BKColour

        If you do not have Steve Hunt's HTMLib HTML Reference installed,
        you can use HTML Help under the Help menu (right above HTMLib
        Color Wizard) you can use the same method above to put some
        there, such as TidyGUI.exe or any other program or reference.
        The shortcut for it Htmlib95.hlp or HTMLib.exe (versions 3 and 4
        of HTMLib Reference respectfully). Here is a post I had in my
        NoteTab Basic mailbox when the NoteTab list was hosted by
        @... and through a series of big fish eats little fish
        is now @yahoogroups.com the worst service we have had since we've
        had the lists. The post below was made by me on 7-22-98 FWIW and
        IMO.

        The name of the shortcuts in the NoteTab folder are:

        For Version 3 HTMLib
        Htmlib95.hlp

        For Version 4 HTMLib
        HTMLib.exe

        That is the last window before selecting OK in the shortcut dialog and
        is also the name of the file that the shortcut must point to.

        For Version 3 HTMLib
        Target: C:\NTB450\HTMLib\Htmlib95.hlp
        Start in: C:\NTB450\HTMLib

        For Version 4 HTMLib
        Target: C:\Program Files\HTMLib.exe
        Start In: C:\Program Files\HTMLib

        http://www.notetab.net

        The NoteTab and Html List...
      • LaurieK
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
          These are the same instructions on your website... I do not see the
          indicaiton of this on my help menu and if I try to run the program outside
          of NoteTab on its own, it acts as though its not registered or something.
          All of the options are grayed out. Any thoughts????

          Laurie

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
            Hi Laurie,

            >These are the same instructions on your website... I do not see
            >the indicaiton of this on my help menu

            Maybe you have to have both shortcuts in for it to work. You
            definitely will have to restart NoteTab after making both
            shortcuts.

            This is where my programs reside:

            E:\Programs\BKColour\bkcoder.exe
            E:\Programs\HTMLib\Htmlib95.hlp

            This is the two shortcuts in my main NoteTab folder:

            E:\NoteTab Pro\ColWiz.exe
            E:\NoteTab Pro\Htmlib95.hlp

            Old stuff for an example:

            The name of the shortcuts in the NoteTab folder are:
            For Version 3 HTMLib: Htmlib95.hlp
            For Version 4 HTMLib: HTMLib.exe

            For Version 3 HTMLib
            Target: C:\NTB450\HTMLib\Htmlib95.hlp
            Start in: C:\NTB450\HTMLib

            For Version 4 HTMLib
            Target: C:\Program Files\HTMLib.exe
            Start In: C:\Program Files\HTMLib

            >...and if I try to run the program outside of NoteTab on its own,
            >it acts as though its not registered or something. All of the
            >options are grayed out.

            Uncheck the Default box then it can all be changed. That is the
            only thing I do not like about it having to uncheck it every time
            I open it.

            Perhaps you should reply on the Off Topic list if you still have
            problems with the setup. ;)

            Happy Topics,
            Jody

            The NoteTab Off-Topic List
          • LaurieK
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
              Amazing.... that worked!!! But I was able to find the HTML95 lib (3.0) but
              not the 4.0 version, anyone got a link for the 4.0 download? the
              http://www.htmlib.com link seems to be down or gone or something.... its not
              there.

              Thanks in advance....
              Laurie

              > This is the two shortcuts in my main NoteTab folder:
              >
              > E:\NoteTab Pro\ColWiz.exe
              > E:\NoteTab Pro\Htmlib95.hlp
              >
              > Old stuff for an example:
              >
              > The name of the shortcuts in the NoteTab folder are:
              > For Version 3 HTMLib: Htmlib95.hlp
              > For Version 4 HTMLib: HTMLib.exe
              >
              > For Version 3 HTMLib
              > Target: C:\NTB450\HTMLib\Htmlib95.hlp
              > Start in: C:\NTB450\HTMLib
              >
              > For Version 4 HTMLib
              > Target: C:\Program Files\HTMLib.exe
              > Start In: C:\Program Files\HTMLib

              I only had the colwiz one copied but not the shortcut to the hlp file....
              thanks!! NTP now has them on the HELP Menu.

              Laurie
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
                Hi Laurie, Amitava, and Others,

                Yep, it is in Help also: Tips and How to... ;) I've tried to
                compile all that I could into this one post since new links were
                found and old ones dead. Thanks for confirming that you need
                both shortcuts in NoteTab's main folder for it to work Laurie.
                I vaguely remember that from way back when...

                >Amazing.... that worked!!! But I was able to find the HTML95
                >lib (3.0) but not the 4.0 version, anyone got a link for the 4.0
                >download? the http://www.htmlib.com link seems to be down or
                >gone or something.... its not there.

                As a matter of fact, I asked the same question about a week ago
                and Lotta provided a link, the first below. I found another
                site, the ftp, underneath it. While I was out I found some v3
                locations as well. (I don't know what's up with Steven Hunt's
                site: http://www.htmlib.com, the author.)

                From: Lotta <loro@...>
                Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 20:40:52 +0200
                Subject: Re: [NH] Steve Hunt's HTML Reference Library

                Version 4:
                http://www.simpcoms.com/ewd_orig/ewd/downloads/hlbsetup.zip
                ftp://ftp.clara.net/win95/internet/html/hlbsetup.exe

                Version 3:
                The following files are available for download from our FTP server:
                ftp://ftp.digitaldaze.com/pub/ms-windows/html/htmlib9530.zip
                The 'Full' download version of the HTMLib - htmlib9530.zip,
                2,477,239 bytes. This contains all the necessary files for
                installation of the HTMLib, the HTMLib Colour Wizard and the Tips
                'n' Tricks file. These are all tied together in a complete
                installation routine that allows for Custom installations of any,
                or all of the three separate modules.

                The 'Lite' download version of the HTMLib - htmlib9530lite.zip,
                469,954 bytes.
                ftp://ftp.digitaldaze.com/pub/ms-windows/html/htmlib9530lite.zip
                This contains all of the necessary HLP, CNT files and the HTMLib
                Colour Wizard executable files only. There is no installation
                routine. If you have Visual BasicĀ® 4 installed then the Colour
                Wizard will function properly, otherwise you will need to hunt
                down copies of the various support files (most of which are
                installed by other applications), or download the 'Full' download
                archive instead. A complete list of the necessary support files
                is included in the download archive.

                More version 3 - worldwide downloads
                (Looks like Steven Hunt's site mirrored, but with a lot more downloads)
                http://www.arachne.net/htmlib/
                http://www.arachne.net/htmlib/where.html

                Steven Hunt's HTMLib [3|4] Setup.
                (See Tips and How to... in NoteTab's Help also)

                You must have both shortcuts installed to execute from the Help menu:

                HTML Help (Ctrl+F11)
                HTMLib Color Wizard (Shift+Ctrl+O)

                These are the shortcuts in NoteTab's main folder:

                C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\ColWiz.exe (Color Wizard)
                C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\Htmlib95.hlp (Version 3)
                C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\HTMLib.exe (Version 4)

                Old stuff for an example:

                The name of the shortcuts in the NoteTab folder are:
                For Version 3 HTMLib: Htmlib95.hlp
                For Version 4 HTMLib: HTMLib.exe

                For Version 3 HTMLib
                Target: C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\HTMLib\Htmlib95.hlp
                Start in: C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\HTMLib

                For Version 4 HTMLib
                Target: C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\HTMLib.exe
                Start In: C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\HTMLib

                Note: You can put any program or file in the shortcuts that you
                want. NoteTab looks for the following shortcut names and then the
                shortcut simply gets executed. So, whatever you have in the
                Target: and Start In: will be what gets executed. If you do not
                have or want HTMLib installed, you can use either one of the
                shortcut names below to start up whatever you wish. You can put
                your favorite color wizard in ColWiz.exe like BK Colour Coder or
                put a shortcut to the weather report in your area if you feel
                like it. ;)

                ColWiz.exe
                HTMLib95.hlp
                HTMLib.exe

                You might want to use something like one of these instead:

                HTML 4.0 Reference
                Downloadable versions of this reference suitable for offline use.
                Offline Versions: http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/

                C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\Documents\Help\HTML\40Ref in .HLP\INDEX.HLP
                C:\YourPath\NoteTab Pro\Documents\Help\HTML\40Ref in HTML\wdghtml40\index.html

                http://www.notetab.net

                The NoteTab and Html List...