RE: [NH] Two Tables

    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 21, 2001
      Hi Lotta and Greg,

      Thanks to Lotta for getting my two tables working in all the
      latest browsers, and almost in NS4.7. It was mainly because I
      was using numbers 1/2) to differentiate between the two tables.
      As somebody suggested table.aaa and table.bbb earlier, but I just
      figured that was just one way of doing it and that numbers would
      make no difference. In NS4.7 border: is not allowed as far as I
      can tell. I'm wondering if I can use a 1x1 px for the cell
      background to at least get some of the table working in NS4.7.
      Furthermore, the two table displays funky - they bother are not
      set at 640px and the font-size is ignored in the second table.
      Strange cookie it is. Here is the page which displays correctly
      now in IE, Opera, Mozilla 9.4 (which I assume will display
      correctly in NS6. 4.7 is not my only headache. The validators
      all said everything was OK, when in fact is was not OK. I used
      about 4 of them. In fact, there was a non-existent "tag" that
      was not fond bad and another that was missing a semi-colon that
      was not found bad by them. CSS validators and a standard in all
      browsers still has a ways to go yet IMO.

      My only teal concern now is getting the two tables to line up at
      640px in NS4.7 and to at least get the cell backgrounds to work.
      I know that NS4.7 does not recognize "border:" which is mainly
      the problem in 4.7. Thanks once again Lotta. You the woMan. ;-)

      http://www.notetab.net/order

      >> For example, as I read it, there's nothing in the standard that
      >> specifies that a background image to a table can't restart
      >> displaying from the top left hand corner of each cell in the
      >> table
      >
      >In fact, there is nothing in the standard that says you can use
      >background images in tables at all. This must be one of the most
      >hushed up non standard practices around. No one wants to be
      >without their backgrounds in tables so even the ones that are
      >most pro standard keep their mouth shut mostly. But there it is,
      >background isn't an attribute neither to TABLE nor to TD but
      >works pretty well anyway I must say.
      ><http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/index/elements.html>http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/index/elements.html
      >http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/index/attributes.html

      http://www.notetab.net

      The NoteTab and Html List...
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 21, 2001
        Hi Greg,

        Just letting you know I read your post in full and don't have
        much of a comment to speak of other than the so-called latest and
        greatest 4.0 and CSS is more messed up than the regular old HTML.
        If history takes it course, just about the time they get it to
        some working degree, they will come out with something else to
        mess it all up again. I'm starting to see my earlier objections
        to all the change as becoming more of a reality and nightmare.

        They rave about <font>, but yet use font-weight. Hypocrites is
        all I have to say. ;) and yes, I'm having a bad hair day. ;)

        http://www.notetab.net

        The NoteTab and Html List...
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 24, 2001
          > Hi Greg,
          >
          > Just letting you know I read your post in full and don't have
          > much of a comment to speak of other than the so-called latest and
          > greatest 4.0 and CSS is more messed up than the regular old HTML.
          > They rave about <font>, but yet use font-weight. Hypocrites is
          > all I have to say. ;) and yes, I'm having a bad hair day. ;)

          And just to keep you dragging it out by the roots, all I can say is,
          "Yes and don't forget HTML4 is already in the trashcan! Now it's
          XHTML!" :-)

          Greg
        • stephen
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 24, 2001
            Hey, I really like XHTML!
            (because it kind of looks like what I already did, no capitals anywhere between the < and the >.
            But I would like to be able to stop learning NEW wierd things for about five minutes.
            Stheph