Re: [NH] txt2html

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 13, 2001
      Hi Randy,

      >hmm... good point there, but what about browsers that do not
      >support css? For example, the classic WebTV unit does, althrough
      >the Plus (which my wife uses) does in a limited fashion. Not
      >everyone has the latest browsers. CSS would give those problems.

      I'm the wrong person to ask, because I am not concerned if some
      old worn out browsers (or "minimal" browsers) view my pages the
      way I intended them to look. Those people will get a "plain"
      page and for the most of them that is probably what they want -
      speed. I use a lightweight browser at times with images turned
      off etc. for that very purpose.

      >Wouldn't XML be better?

      I wouldn't know about that at all accept that XHTML is suppose to
      be (along with CSS) the standard along with w3c's latest. Some
      have said, at least the way I took it that this will be the last
      standard. I surely do not agree with that though. What happens
      when a new and faster technology comes out that requires a
      different format for say something like holograms coming out of
      Power Ranger watches for the children at $5.95 each? :-) ...and
      Star Wars watches for us big kids. <g> Boys will have their toys
      and the code will have to be changed along with it. So, I am not
      concerned about using font, blockquote ("illegally"), CSS, XHTML
      the slightest bit. I can certainly understand people making a
      living from building web pages (or the ones that prefer it) need
      to use the latest and greatest code.

      FWIW, this is what I was playing with in my Internet Options
      (which is used for Document to HTML (and with the same Clip):

      <head>
      <title></title>
      <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://www.notetab.net" title="funsheet">
      </head>

      I just changed it to the following and perhaps will add some H1,
      H2, tags in it and maybe some more meta tags. I realize that the
      link to the .css may be easier, but for my purposes it is not - I
      think. <g>

      <head>
      <title></title>
      Body
      {
      font-family : "Times New Roman";
      font-style : normal;
      font-size : 13pt;
      font-weight: bold;
      }
      A:link
      {
      color: #990000;
      }
      A:visited
      {
      color: #0099CC;
      }
      A:hover
      {
      color: #0033FF
      }
      A:active
      {
      color: red;
      }
      {
      text-align: justify;
      margin-left:5em;
      margin-right:5em;
      }
      </head>

      http://www.notetab.net

      The NoteTab and Html List...
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13, 2001
        Hello,

        >Not everyone has the latest browsers. CSS
        >would give those problems. Wouldn't XML be better?

        I saw from you other post that you are really referring to XHTML not XML.
        You'll find that with XML you are bound to use CSS for text formatting and
        so on. All presentational HTML tags are cleaned out. Which is kind of the
        purpose. :)

        Lotta
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13, 2001
          Hi

          What an improvement. I actually receive some list posts now. Only 5 hours
          delay on this one. Hurray for Yahoo (not).

          Sorry, I made a typo.

          >You'll find that with XML you are bound to use CSS for text formatting and
          Should be ...with XHTML you are....