[NH] Re: To capitalise or not to...

  • Raymond Fitzgerald
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
      Hi Glenn,

      >> if it is named bold, I can jump quickly to this via
      >> pressing the key b.
      >
      >wow, I didn't realize this was a clip feature! What version added this
      >capability?

      The editor clipbook was introduced with v2.0 in Jan '97 and the in-context
      clipbook, which also auto-scrolls, came out in Jun '97 with v3.0. I *think*
      these components had the auto-scrolling feature from the beginning.

      Cheers,
      Ray

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
        Hi Ray, Glenn, and Ni',

        >>> if it is named bold, I can jump quickly to this via
        >>> pressing the key b.

        > I *think* these components had the auto-scrolling feature from
        > the beginning.

        I'm sure Ni' will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe she was
        talking about jumping around in Clipbooks. If the clipbook is
        focused you can press the start of a letter and the focus will
        move to the next header with that letter. It is unlike the
        dialogs and the Library window though that have the feature to
        find the second letter after the first is typed. Hmmm? Having a
        hard time getting that out. If "b" is pressed the clip Bold will
        be focused if next in line. However, if "o" is pressed would
        find Open, and not stay on Bold. It does not use look ahead ...
        whatever in other words.

        You can use that in Clips as well, something like:

        ^!Keyboard Shift+F4 Shift+F4 Down Down b

        I use numbers to jump from the top of a number of my Libraries to
        the section I want and have a Jump to Top clip with the
        corresponding number in front. I saves me a lot of time.

        ^!KeyBoard Shift+F4 Shift+F4 Shift+End 3
        3 Jump to Top
        H=; htm to otl

        Bye for now,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

        http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
        http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
      • Nicole Simon
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
          Jody wrote:
          > I'm sure Ni' will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe she was
          > talking about jumping around in Clipbooks.

          Ack. Not the one you get when you've pressed esc.

          > hard time getting that out. If "b" is pressed the clip Bold will
          > be focused if next in line. However, if "o" is pressed would
          > find Open, and not stay on Bold.

          Ack. But if you have these four entries:
          Bold
          Better Blue
          Very blue
          Better go where no man has gone before..

          Activating the clb via click into the clbwindows and pressing b three times
          lets you get to 'Better go where no man has gone before..'

          So I espect 'comment' to be reachable through pressing c several times an I
          like the T to get to the table things.

          Nicole

          --
          »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
          enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
            Hi Nicole

            > I like the T to get to the table things.

            All your post was true and I like my tags upper too. I use to
            use lower, but switched about a year ago, hence another reason
            for some of my older ones still having lower. I have been
            changing them on the fly as I run into them 'cause I'm too lazy
            to find the clip I have around somewhere for it in storage.

            Yeah, I know I could do a S&R on the tags pretty quick and be
            done with it... time............ :(

            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
          • Grey Cat
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
                well, I guess I'm just very unobservant! I've had NoteTab since it was a
                $10 piece of shareware ... version 1 something I think......I just never
                tried the mnemonic jump thing on any clip view window before.....

                one question.....if I am typing in a document window, what's the fastest way
                to shift the focus back to the clip window so I can type 'b' and move right
                to Bold? Is there a keystroke combination for this?

                >Hi Glenn,
                >
                >>> if it is named bold, I can jump quickly to this via
                >>> pressing the key b.
                >>
                >>wow, I didn't realize this was a clip feature! What version added this
                >>capability?
                >
                >The editor clipbook was introduced with v2.0 in Jan '97 and the in-context
                >clipbook, which also auto-scrolls, came out in Jun '97 with v3.0. I *think*
                >these components had the auto-scrolling feature from the beginning.
                >
                >Cheers,
                >Ray

                >FREE email Newsletters delivered right to your in-box.
                >CNET, USAToday, RollingStone, and more�
                >Click Here Now! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/314
                >

                >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html

                eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
              • Glenn Dixon
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
                  <snip>

                  >I believe you can even edit tags in your favorite library if you want to
                  >change case!
                  >
                  >Hey! just try shouting at FrontPage over how it chooses to enter tags!!!
                  >
                  >Cat

                  FrontPage???.......uh-oh, don't get me started!! *LOL*

                  Just for kicks, I'll give an example of how I want HTML tags to pop up in
                  NoteTab clips. For instance, if I want to insert an image into an HTML page
                  I want the clip to prompt me for file name, Height and/or Width, Alt=,
                  border, etc. Of course, we each have our own preferences so I doubt there
                  could ever be a 'standard' NoteTab clip structure or syntax.....

                  Glenn Dixon
                  glenn@...
                  http://thedixons.net

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
                    Hi Glenn,

                    >one question.....if I am typing in a document window, what's the fastest
                    way
                    >to shift the focus back to the clip window so I can type 'b' and move right
                    >to Bold? Is there a keystroke combination for this?

                    Try Shift+F4 to switch to the clipbook window (and Ctrl+G to switch back to
                    the document). But it may be easier and faster to use the in-context
                    clipbook (ESC). That way you never leave your document. But autoscroll works
                    a little differently. The clipbook window understands just the first letter
                    you key, so, for example, typing "bb" would jump you from "bold" to "break"
                    and then typing "a" will take you to "anchor." The in-context clipbook
                    reads every letter you type to find just one clip. So "b" for "bold, "br"
                    will take you to "break," and "bb" won't do anything.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
                      Hi all,

                      Chris wrote:
                      >Does it really matter if we capitalise or leave out the quote marks (") in
                      HTML?

                      Personally, I don't quote attribute values when it's not mandatory because
                      hitting that quote key is too much work and it adds to the file size. I
                      follow the basic rule of thumb of all numbers (width=600) or all letters
                      (valign=top) OK to not quote. But quote mixed (size="+1",
                      bgcolor="#000000").

                      This is from the W3C's HTML 4.0 specs
                      (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/html40.txt):

                      In certain cases, authors may specify the value of an attribute without any
                      quotation marks. The attribute value may only contain letters (a-z and A-Z),
                      digits (0-9), hyphens (ASCII decimal 45), and periods (ASCII decimal 46). We
                      recommend using quotation marks even when it is possible to eliminate them.
                      Attribute names are always case-insensitive. Attribute values are generally
                      case-insensitive. The definition of each attribute in the reference manual
                      indicates whether its value is case-insensitive.
                      Cheers,
                      Ray Fitz

                      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
                    • Kay Roath
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
                        06/21/1999 9:02 AM Glenn Dixon wrote
                        > one question.....if I am typing in a document window, what's the fastest way
                        > to shift the focus back to the clip window so I can type 'b' and move right
                        > to Bold? Is there a keystroke combination for this?

                        Besides jumping to thr clip area or using In-Context or F2,
                        there's now the HTML-ar Library. To get <b></b> inserted
                        into the document, you would type <b followed by a space
                        (check the About clip for other keys that work also). If
                        you have text that you want surrounded by <b></b>,
                        highlight the text and press Escape then <b then Enter.

                        Of course, you need to have auto replace turned on for
                        things to work as I've described in my mostly lower case
                        way:)

                        --- Grandma Kay ---
                        http://notetab.kay.net

                        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
                      • Rod Davies
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 21, 1999
                          I feel Clip libraries are best seen as "samples" or "examples". They are
                          offered to the Note Tab community as a way for sharing what has proved
                          useful to an individual, (and free of charge too!). Therefore the
                          inconsistency.. but when you think about it, consistency is not what clips
                          are about really... and the USP of Note Tab is that you can customise it to
                          work the way you want, for a trade off in learning curves....

                          The key is to put all the clips you feel are useful for you in your own
                          personal library(ies), edit them if necessary, and away you go... My tip is
                          to choose an existing library which is close to what you want, review and
                          edit if necessary each clip, and then copy clips you like from other
                          libraries into it, again editing as you go, It could take as little as 30
                          minutes to an afternoon.... It takes a small investment of time for a
                          highly personal and customised solution.

                          I am forever grateful to those who upload their clip libraries as I didn't
                          have to start from scratch. But it would be almost impossible for someone's
                          customised solution to match exactly another person's needs.

                          Changing all tags in a clip library to upper or lower case is a 2 minute
                          job, I am sure, once you know...

                          And I'm pretty sure there is a menu item or clip which does it
                          automatically. ..Though I'm not sure where it is (:-)!

                          But I guess my main point is that Clips are not part of NT per se but like
                          add-ons or "macro's" which extend functionality and customization.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 23, 1999
                            Rod Davies wrote:
                            [Rod, please don't put a fullqoute after your message]

                            > The key is to put all the clips you feel are useful for you in your own
                            > personal library(ies), edit them if necessary, and away you go...

                            JAp. But it's nice if you give the author of the clip a tip what you have
                            missed and what you would have prefered. This way, the author can decide
                            wether to take this suggestion into the library or not.

                            Why should you do so?
                            Because the next time a new version of your best liked library comes out,
                            you have to do your changes again. And again.

                            > But I guess my main point is that Clips are not part of NT per se but like
                            > add-ons or "macro's" which extend functionality and customization.

                            Oh, there are clips - but you can't include all cliplibraries which are
                            available on the website. :o)
                            Nicole