Re: [NH] Digest Number 270

  • Bill Poole
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20, 2001
      Can someone please send me the unsubscribe address for this group? I can not find it in the messages. Thanks.

      >>> <ntb-html@yahoogroups.com> 08/18/01 02:32AM >>>

      There are 3 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\
      From: Wayland_B_Fowler@...
      2. Re: C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\
      From: "Harvey R. Savage" <hsavage@...>
      3. Re: C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\
      From: Wayland_B_Fowler@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:56:07 -0500
      From: Wayland_B_Fowler@...
      Subject: Re: C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\

      Emmett and Jody,

      I have similarly named zips and data files. Question number 1, why are
      they named differently? Question 2, does IE have some sort of zip file
      interpreter, or maybe this could be better asked, why do the zips stay in
      zip format?

      Regards,

      Wayland Fowler
      I think everyone should be nice to me, don't you?

      Jody
      <av1611@earth To: ntb-html@yahoogroups.com
      link.net> cc:
      Subject: Re: [NH] C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\
      08/16/01
      08:10 PM
      Please
      respond to
      ntb-html

      Hi Emmett,

      >> C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\04XFHJ3N.ZIP 5597.58KB
      >> C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\A9NRFVTZ.ZIP 187.35KB

      >If you want to run Java applets in Internet Explorer, yes, you
      >need them. :-) They're the libraries for Microsoft's Virtual
      >Machine.

      Thanks. I figured they were for the browsers else I wouldn't
      have posted to this list, but I just didn't understand the need
      for them all. I do not care to know either. ;) Just, yes, I
      need them is good enough for me.

      http://www.notetab.net

      The NoteTab and Html List...

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Message: 2
      Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:01:06 -0500
      From: "Harvey R. Savage" <hsavage@...>

      Wayland_B_Fowler@... wrote:

      > Emmett and Jody,
      >
      > I have similarly named zips and data files. Question number 1, why are
      > they named differently? Question 2, does IE have some sort of zip file
      > interpreter, or maybe this could be better asked, why do the zips stay in
      > zip format?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Wayland Fowler

      Hi Wayland,

      I'll jump in here. Many programs are written with the capability
      of decompressing a data, or executable, file on the fly.
      Decompression is done in RAM and only the needed file(s) are
      decompressed so it is very quick. This is not unlike what MS
      does
      with DRVSPACE or DBLSPACE.

      In the case of these particular Zips, look at the contents, if
      they remained unzipped you would have several thousand more files
      in the directory structure and since most of them are very small
      files they would really eat up the cluster space on the hard
      drive.

      hrs

      Message: 3
      Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:17:21 -0500
      From: Wayland_B_Fowler@...

      Harvey,

      "Good Answer"

      I was really glad this particular subject came up. Just last week I
      downloaded the Java compiler, have not decompressed it yet, and then I saw
      these zip and data files. This caused me to wonder if somehow the compiler
      had been loaded at some other time and partially uninstalled, or whatever.
      Now I know what they are for.

      Thanks,

      Wayland
      I think everyone should be nice to me, don't you?

      "Harvey R.
      Savage" To: ntb-html@yahoogroups.com
      <hsavage@shawne cc:
      elink.net> Subject: Re: [NH] C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\

      08/17/01 11:01
      AM
      Please respond
      to ntb-html

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 20, 2001
        Hi Bill,

        >Can someone please send me the unsubscribe address for this
        >group? I can not find it in the messages. Thanks.

        You can change your options on the web to Read on Web. That way
        you can still post if you desire to. To sign off see the mailto:
        address in my sigline. Give it up to 24hrs to stop sending you
        posts.

        http://www.notetab.net

        The NoteTab and Html List...
      • Harvey R. Savage
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 20, 2001
          Bill Poole wrote:

          > Can someone please send me the unsubscribe address for this group? I can not find it in the messages. Thanks.

          Hi Bill,

          Not sure about this address but it follows the same format as the
          other groups to subscribe and unsubscribe.

          hrs

        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 20, 2001
            > Hi Bill,
            >
            > Not sure about this address but it follows the same format as the
            > other groups to subscribe and unsubscribe.

            All Yahoogroups messages include a header line... viz

            It always amazes me that people don't read/save the e-mails they
            receive on subscribing to a mail list - or in the yahoogroups case
            read the stuff on their account details page.

            Greg
            (The Grouch!)