Re: [NH] C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\

  • Wayland_B_Fowler@Raytheon.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 17, 2001
      Harvey,

      "Good Answer"

      I was really glad this particular subject came up. Just last week I
      downloaded the Java compiler, have not decompressed it yet, and then I saw
      these zip and data files. This caused me to wonder if somehow the compiler
      had been loaded at some other time and partially uninstalled, or whatever.
      Now I know what they are for.

      Thanks,

      Wayland
      I think everyone should be nice to me, don't you?

      "Harvey R.
      Savage" To: ntb-html@yahoogroups.com
      <hsavage@shawne cc:
      elink.net> Subject: Re: [NH] C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\

      08/17/01 11:01
      AM
      Please respond
      to ntb-html

      Wayland_B_Fowler@... wrote:

      > Emmett and Jody,
      >
      > I have similarly named zips and data files. Question number 1, why are
      > they named differently? Question 2, does IE have some sort of zip file
      > interpreter, or maybe this could be better asked, why do the zips stay in
      > zip format?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Wayland Fowler

      Hi Wayland,

      I'll jump in here. Many programs are written with the capability
      of decompressing a data, or executable, file on the fly.
      Decompression is done in RAM and only the needed file(s) are
      decompressed so it is very quick. This is not unlike what MS
      does
      with DRVSPACE or DBLSPACE.

      In the case of these particular Zips, look at the contents, if
      they remained unzipped you would have several thousand more files
      in the directory structure and since most of them are very small
      files they would really eat up the cluster space on the hard
      drive.

      hrs

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor