Re: [NH] C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\

  • Wayland_B_Fowler@Raytheon.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 17 6:56 AM
      Emmett and Jody,

      I have similarly named zips and data files. Question number 1, why are
      they named differently? Question 2, does IE have some sort of zip file
      interpreter, or maybe this could be better asked, why do the zips stay in
      zip format?

      Regards,

      Wayland Fowler
      I think everyone should be nice to me, don't you?

      Jody
      <av1611@earth To: ntb-html@yahoogroups.com
      link.net> cc:
      Subject: Re: [NH] C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\
      08/16/01
      08:10 PM
      Please
      respond to
      ntb-html

      Hi Emmett,

      >> C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\04XFHJ3N.ZIP 5597.58KB
      >> C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\A9NRFVTZ.ZIP 187.35KB

      >If you want to run Java applets in Internet Explorer, yes, you
      >need them. :-) They're the libraries for Microsoft's Virtual
      >Machine.

      Thanks. I figured they were for the browsers else I wouldn't
      have posted to this list, but I just didn't understand the need
      for them all. I do not care to know either. ;) Just, yes, I
      need them is good enough for me.

      http://www.notetab.net

      The NoteTab and Html List...

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Harvey R. Savage
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 17 9:01 AM
        Wayland_B_Fowler@... wrote:

        > Emmett and Jody,
        >
        > I have similarly named zips and data files. Question number 1, why are
        > they named differently? Question 2, does IE have some sort of zip file
        > interpreter, or maybe this could be better asked, why do the zips stay in
        > zip format?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Wayland Fowler

        Hi Wayland,

        I'll jump in here. Many programs are written with the capability
        of decompressing a data, or executable, file on the fly.
        Decompression is done in RAM and only the needed file(s) are
        decompressed so it is very quick. This is not unlike what MS
        does
        with DRVSPACE or DBLSPACE.

        In the case of these particular Zips, look at the contents, if
        they remained unzipped you would have several thousand more files
        in the directory structure and since most of them are very small
        files they would really eat up the cluster space on the hard
        drive.

        hrs
      • Wayland_B_Fowler@Raytheon.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 17 9:17 AM
          Harvey,

          "Good Answer"

          I was really glad this particular subject came up. Just last week I
          downloaded the Java compiler, have not decompressed it yet, and then I saw
          these zip and data files. This caused me to wonder if somehow the compiler
          had been loaded at some other time and partially uninstalled, or whatever.
          Now I know what they are for.

          Thanks,

          Wayland
          I think everyone should be nice to me, don't you?

          "Harvey R.
          Savage" To: ntb-html@yahoogroups.com
          <hsavage@shawne cc:
          elink.net> Subject: Re: [NH] C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\

          08/17/01 11:01
          AM
          Please respond
          to ntb-html