Re: [NH] C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\

  • ceh
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 16, 2001
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Jody" <av1611@...>
      To: "NoteTab & HTML" <ntb-HTML@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 7:29 PM
      Subject: [NH] C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\

      > Hi All,
      >
      > Sorry for not putting a subject in the last post.
      >
      > Does anybody know if I need/want all these .zip files and the .dat?
      >
      > Total files: 20
      > Total size: 10.99MB
      >
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\04XFHJ3N.ZIP 5597.58KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\A9NRFVTZ.ZIP 187.35KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\BHFVRN1B.ZIP 545.06KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\D39B7VNX.ZIP 91.08KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\IBBPVZZV.ZIP 133.75KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\JLVTZHV5.ZIP 316.11KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\SIUPF5FN.ZIP 10.70KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\TVXZFLNJ.ZIP 4203.69KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\V7LVF31B.ZIP 152.77KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\Data\6I5R17TN.DAT 0.02KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\Data\6TB71VF1.DAT 2.62KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\Data\79JJHJ57.DAT 2.62KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\Data\8ZDBR31J.DAT 2.62KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\Data\9JZV1BTJ.DAT 0.02KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\Data\A4P7ZLJ3.DAT 2.62KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\Data\AINB3HF5.DAT 2.42KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\Data\AYOZNT37.DAT 2.18KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\Data\ICFVZPZV.DAT 0.02KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\Data\MGHRBFBV.DAT 2.42KB
      > C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\Data\XRBN13TR.DAT 2.62KB
      >
      > 8/16/01 6:58:40 PM
      > Start time: 58:40
      > Collection done: 58:40
      > Start spaces: 58:40
      > End time: 58:40
      >
      > Happy HTML'n!
      > Jody

      If you want to run Java applets in Internet Explorer, yes, you need them.
      :-) They're the libraries for Microsoft's Virtual Machine.

      Emmett
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 16, 2001
        Hi Emmett,

        >> C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\04XFHJ3N.ZIP 5597.58KB
        >> C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\A9NRFVTZ.ZIP 187.35KB

        >If you want to run Java applets in Internet Explorer, yes, you
        >need them. :-) They're the libraries for Microsoft's Virtual
        >Machine.

        Thanks. I figured they were for the browsers else I wouldn't
        have posted to this list, but I just didn't understand the need
        for them all. I do not care to know either. ;) Just, yes, I
        need them is good enough for me.

        http://www.notetab.net

        The NoteTab and Html List...
      • Wayland_B_Fowler@Raytheon.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 17, 2001
          Emmett and Jody,

          I have similarly named zips and data files. Question number 1, why are
          they named differently? Question 2, does IE have some sort of zip file
          interpreter, or maybe this could be better asked, why do the zips stay in
          zip format?

          Regards,

          Wayland Fowler
          I think everyone should be nice to me, don't you?

          Jody
          <av1611@earth To: ntb-html@yahoogroups.com
          link.net> cc:
          Subject: Re: [NH] C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\
          08/16/01
          08:10 PM
          Please
          respond to
          ntb-html

          Hi Emmett,

          >> C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\04XFHJ3N.ZIP 5597.58KB
          >> C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\A9NRFVTZ.ZIP 187.35KB

          >If you want to run Java applets in Internet Explorer, yes, you
          >need them. :-) They're the libraries for Microsoft's Virtual
          >Machine.

          Thanks. I figured they were for the browsers else I wouldn't
          have posted to this list, but I just didn't understand the need
          for them all. I do not care to know either. ;) Just, yes, I
          need them is good enough for me.

          http://www.notetab.net

          The NoteTab and Html List...

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Harvey R. Savage
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 17, 2001
            Wayland_B_Fowler@... wrote:

            > Emmett and Jody,
            >
            > I have similarly named zips and data files. Question number 1, why are
            > they named differently? Question 2, does IE have some sort of zip file
            > interpreter, or maybe this could be better asked, why do the zips stay in
            > zip format?
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Wayland Fowler

            Hi Wayland,

            I'll jump in here. Many programs are written with the capability
            of decompressing a data, or executable, file on the fly.
            Decompression is done in RAM and only the needed file(s) are
            decompressed so it is very quick. This is not unlike what MS
            does
            with DRVSPACE or DBLSPACE.

            In the case of these particular Zips, look at the contents, if
            they remained unzipped you would have several thousand more files
            in the directory structure and since most of them are very small
            files they would really eat up the cluster space on the hard
            drive.

            hrs
          • Wayland_B_Fowler@Raytheon.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 17, 2001
              Harvey,

              "Good Answer"

              I was really glad this particular subject came up. Just last week I
              downloaded the Java compiler, have not decompressed it yet, and then I saw
              these zip and data files. This caused me to wonder if somehow the compiler
              had been loaded at some other time and partially uninstalled, or whatever.
              Now I know what they are for.

              Thanks,

              Wayland
              I think everyone should be nice to me, don't you?

              "Harvey R.
              Savage" To: ntb-html@yahoogroups.com
              <hsavage@shawne cc:
              elink.net> Subject: Re: [NH] C:\WINDOWS\JAVA\Packages\

              08/17/01 11:01
              AM
              Please respond
              to ntb-html