Re: [NH] Tidy weirdness

  • swirus@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 14, 2001
      --- In ntb-html@y..., "Grant" <emerge@p...> wrote:
      > There is a special tidy switch which can be used to clean word html
      files.
      > word-2000: [yes|no]
      > The best way to get all the switch options from withen notetab is
      to use a
      > config file.
      >
      > In my xhtml library (available from the library download
      repository on the
      > notetab site)there are two tidy related clips
      > -tidy
      > _TidyConfigSetup
      > which help generate a complete tidy config file via a notetab
      wizard.
      > The wizard contains all the tidy config options including the 'word-
      2000: '
      > switch which you can try.
      > The two clips stand alone and be taken out of the general xhtml
      library.
      > Included below

      This looks a lot more elegant way of configuring tidy. I have a
      solution to my current problems (see other mail) but I shall download
      your libraries for future use (I don't trust myself to figure out
      where the line breaks go after so many brain frazzling hours of
      correcting MSHTML(TM)).

      The trouble with tidy, as with so many things in the computer world
      is that there is a constant battle between power (and HTMLTidy is
      powerful) and complexity. What I like about it is generally with the
      default options it does a good job. But HTML author or programmer is
      not my main job, so I simply haven't the time to learn the finer
      points of configuration. It looks like your scripts take the edge off
      this, for which much thanks.

      Cheers,
      John
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 14, 2001
        Hi Jim and Swirus

        > Hmmm...the first thing that pops into my mind is that Word 2000 doesn't
        > produce HTML, it produces a MS-specification XML page. What you
        > really need
        > is something to scrub out the XML. There are a couple of XML cleaners on
        > the Notetab library site at http://www.notetab.com/html.htm that you can
        > use. Look at the whole page, not just the XML portion of it.

        There's also the official HTML filter from Microsoft. I picked up my copy
        from a magazine cover disk, but try a search for the file "msohtmlf2.exe".
        This is v2 of the Microsoft Office HTML filter.

        It does a number of things including place an "Export to compact HTML"
        button on the standard toolbar and additional export options on the File
        menu, including one to create a CSS file, from your document. HTML TIDY
        will still find some garbage to correct, but its a massive improvement on
        the standard output.

        Greg
      • Bob Janes
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 14, 2001
          > There's also the official HTML filter from Microsoft. I
          > picked up my copy from a magazine cover disk, but try a
          > search for the file "msohtmlf2.exe". This is v2 of the
          > Microsoft Office HTML filter.

          It's at http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/Msohtmf2.aspx

          Best wishes

          Bob