Tidy weirdness

  • swirus@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 13 9:50 AM
      Hello,

      This is my first post, I've been a registered Notetab user for over a
      year now. I've come up against an odd problem, and I can't see that
      it's ever happened before. I don't know if the problem is Notetab or
      HTML Tidy.

      Basically I've used MS Word 2000 to output a number of files into its
      own version of HTML, which is extremely bloaty. The first thing I
      want to do when I get them into Notetab is to run HTML Tidy with its
      Word-2000 yes option to get rid of all of this gubbins. However, this
      does not work. While it will tidy other documents correctly, it
      appears to just select all, then nothing happens.

      It's really odd behaviour, since I can't even tidy a subsection of
      the code copied and pasted into a blank document. HTML Tidy will run
      on the code in command line mode, but I find this interface very
      unwieldy and am not comfortable using it.

      Anybody experienced anything like this before? Am I doing something
      stupid?

      Any advice would be great,
      John
    • h.paulissen
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 15 12:39 AM
        Hello John,

        You could consider to use the "Office 2000 HTML Filter 2.0" first.
        It strips the original XML document into a more readable/editable
        version.

        http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/Msohtmf2.aspx

        From that page:

        "The Office HTML Filter is a tool you can use to remove
        Office-specific markup tags embedded in Office 2000 documents saved
        as Hypertext Markup Language (HTML). When you create an HTML
        document in Office 2000, Office-specific markup tags are embedded in
        it. These tags help "round-trip" the document for editing purposes.
        For example, if you create the document in Word 2000 and save it as
        HTML, the code embedded in the document allows you to re-open the
        document in Word 2000 and use the same features you originally used
        to create the page.
        Once you have completed editing an HTML document in Word 2000 or
        Excel 2000, you can use the Office HTML Filter to remove the
        Office-specific markup tags from the final copy of the HTML
        document. (...)"

        Regards,

        Hugo Paulissen

      • lee_dennegar@scudder.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 22 11:31 AM
          Hello, All:

          I'm new to the list but couldn't resist putting in my $0.02. I get
          the same weird select-all behavior from Tidy on HTML I've typed
          myself, so I doubt if it's anything to do with W2K.

          Unfortunately, I don't know what causes it, but I know one sure-fire
          cure: reboot! :-P

          Lee Dennegar
          lee_dennegar@...