Re: [NH] 1 css, 3 colors - final and thanks

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2001
      Hi Luciano,

      Thanks for your comments. I've been using NoteTab since before
      v2.63e which, to me, was the best version up to its date. You
      are correct that some names changed both in program and features.
      They make more sense to me, but I've been with all the updates
      and a super big amount of betas, etc. So, these changes which
      actually were making the program better for the majoring of users
      came gradually over time. It is kind of like trying on a new
      pair of shoes somewhat resembling the old. They are very stiff
      and uncomfortable at first, but after a while you find the new
      shoe is better than the old after all (in most cases). All of us
      will find some features that we do not use, but can't live
      without others.

      The scripting code is now grown to almost 900 commands and
      functions and the Clips can now be put on the Clipbar. There
      were only maybe 10 commands in Pro 3.xx. I cannot imagine going
      back there and certainly not another editor (UE and some others
      are really great). I cannot "live without" my Clipbar and Clips!
      Syntax highlighting and variable with fonts mean nothing to me
      and a number of other users. I only bring that out, not trying
      to say you are wrong or me, but to show in any editor we will
      find our own personal preferences. I don't know if you have the
      expression in Brazil, but probably something meaning the same and
      that is, "You/I can't have our cake and eat it too!" When I look
      back at v2/3 it amazes me how much the program has grown and I'd
      never consider going back even one minor version.

      There are some things that Pro sacrificed like not having
      variable width fonts and large paragraphs, but it gained other
      things. The only place Pro does not support the variable widths
      is in the main edit window, it can print them. That is mainly
      because of the input controls used in each.

      Now, I'll blow all that out of the way by saying that in v5 of
      NoteTab we will have a different input control that will have
      fully customizable syntax highlighting and all the fonts.
      Personally, I don't like the idea (because of loosing the speed
      that Pro has now, but not by much), but it is something that I'll
      have to live with to get some other features that I will like.

      I'd give you a couple links to go to, but I will wait for Eric
      to announce them later as I am sure he will want to give thanks
      for all the support, etc.