Re: [NH] Tidy Warnings

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 20, 2001
      Hi Jody,

      You said>>>>>Try playing with the .cfg file.<<<<<<

      The only .cfg file in my entire NoteTab folder (and sub-folders) is
      SPELL.CFG. The lack of a proper configuration file may be the problem.
      What is the full name of the .cfg file and, if I can't find it on my PC, how
      do I generate one?

      Thanks again for your help,

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 20, 2001
        Jody,

        In NTP Help, I see>>>>>>you can create a configuration file for Tidy, which
        you should save in the NoteTab folder with the name Tidy.cfg (see the HTML
        Tidy instructions for details). <<<<<<

        and >>>>>> you can create a configuration file for Tidy, which you should
        save in the NoteTab folder with the name Tidy.cfg (see the program's
        instructions for details).<<<<<<

        A search of Help brings me back to the pages where the comments above were
        found. Where is the "program's instructions"?

        Slight change of topic: For the first time, I invoked tidy through the
        tools menu and a page of warnings DID get produced by tidy. No such page is
        produced when tidy is invoked from the clip. (This topic was discussed a
        while back) After the warnings file was created, I went looking for
        tidy.cfg again, but it still doesn't appear on my PC.

        My question remains: Where are the tidy program instructions for creating
        the tidy.cfg file? I presume, the instructions will show all the available
        options?

        Thanks again,

        Ray Shapp
        Watchung, NJ
      • Marko Randjelovic
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 21, 2001
          Hi Ray,
          Have you tried running tidy from the Tools menu? I run it from there and it always displays a prompt
          asking whether I want to see the error log (it doesn't log, I think). Affirmative response opens
          another document showing the errors fixed and the lines containing them.

          Hope this will work, it worked for me on 4.82 and 4.85 now.

          Marko
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 21, 2001
            Hi Ray,

            > A search of Help brings me back to the pages where the comments above were
            > found. Where is the "program's instructions"?

            The HTML TIDY help/instructions are found on the program's home page at:

            http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

            (At least they were when I last downloaded a copy - 4 August 2000 edition!)

            It's some 55k long so you may not have read it all when you downloaded the
            program. All that you need is there.

            > Slight change of topic: For the first time, I invoked tidy through the
            > tools menu and a page of warnings DID get produced by tidy. No
            > such page is produced when tidy is invoked from the clip.

            I must admit I only discovered the clip recently. I've always used menu
            option (or more accurately CTRL+F7).

            > After the warnings file was created, I went looking for
            > tidy.cfg again, but it still doesn't appear on my PC.

            It won't be there. NoteTab's internal code for the menu item appears to
            produce a certain set of command line options and runs TIDY with them. If
            you can read the clip contents, you'll see that it produces an obviously
            different set of TIDY command line options.

            While on the TIDY Home page look out for the link to TIDYGUI
            (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/ablavier/TidyGUI/). This is a third party add-on
            for TIDY that produces a WINDOWS based front-end for TIDY and will write you
            a TIDY.CFG file for you just by you checking and clearing a number of check
            boxes.

            However, I've never needed any of this. After some experimentation I recall
            concluding that Eric's coding of the TIDY command line, through the
            menu/CTRL+F7 option takes account of various NOTETAB settings, so for
            instance, because of the way my NoteTab settings are, my TIDY'd code is
            neatly indented (but I could be wrong on this bit!).

            Greg
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 21, 2001
              Greg,

              As you suggest, I'll run Tidy from Ctrl-F7 and be done with it.

              Thank you,

              Ray Shapp
              Watchung, NJ
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 23, 2001
                Earlier I said...

                > While on the TIDY Home page look out for the link to TIDYGUI
                > (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/ablavier/TidyGUI/). This is a third party add-on
                > for TIDY that produces a WINDOWS based front-end for TIDY and will write
                you
                > a TIDY.CFG file for you just by you checking and clearing a number of
                check
                > boxes.

                I should have added that I understand that if NoteTab finds a TIDY.CFG file
                then it uses the settings found there rather than the NoteTab's internal
                defaults.

                Greg