RE: Dot Fill (at least my take on it)

  • Dennis Ralph
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2001
      Re: Dot Fill (at least my take on it)
      Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:52:41 -0500
      From: "Dennis Ralph" <dralph@...>
      Subject: RE: Dot Fill (at least this is what I do)

      I have an address html file I keep. This is how I separate things. I
      shortened the table to only three cells but I have an additional four more.
      I separate each cell with a cell filled with the number of spaces and I then
      underline them (as per my example below. I adjust each second cell with the
      number of spaces I desire to keep things separate and by underlining the
      spaced cells I create a line that keeps everything joined. You have to play
      with the cell spacing but this works for me. P.S. the info in each cell is
      bogus and for demonstration purposes only.

      <TABLE BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="0" WIDTH="50%">
      <TR>
      <TD align="right" width="50%">Blood Sweat & Tears</TD>
      <TD align="centre" width="5%"><U>
            </U></TD>
      <TD align="left" width="45%">606.123.4567</TD>
      </TR>
      <TR>
      <TD align="right" width="50%">Bonn Jovi</TD>
      <TD align="centre"
      width="5%"><U>      </U></TD>
      <TD align="left" width="45%">1.41.905.456.7890</TD>
      </TR>
      <TR>
      <TD align="right" width="50%">Mel Gibson</TD>
      <TD align="centre"
      width="5%"><U>      </U></TD>
      <TD align="left" width="45%">1.61.407.4787.748</TD>
      </TR>
      <TR>
      <TD align="right" width="50%">President George Bush</TD>
      <TD align="centre"
      width="5%"><U>      </U></TD>
      <TD align="left" width="45%">1.202.202.2020</TD>
      </TR>
      </TABLE>

      "Cheers To All"
      Dennis Ralph
      email: dralph@...

      From: "Andy Young" <ajyoung@...>
      2. Re: Dot Fill
      From: Scott Fordin <sfordin@...>
      3. Re: Dot Fill
      From: "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...>
      4. Re: Dot Fill
      From: Lotta <loro@...>
      5. Re: Dot Fill
      From: Lotta <loro@...>
      6. Any JavaScripters?
      From: Wayland_B_Fowler@...
      7. Re: Dot Fill
      From: "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...>
      8. Re: Dot Fill
      From: Lotta <loro@...>
      9. Re: Any JavaScripters?
      From: Stephen Riddle <stephen@...>
      10. Re: Dot Fill
      From: "Yehuda Katz" <yehuka@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:52:41 -0500
      From: "Andy Young" <ajyoung@...>
      Subject: RE: Web Link Software

      Hi, Greg,
      I have an idea how useful clip might be developed using NoteTab's
      clip language to help adjusting and keeping track of web page links.
      I've going to take this question over to the clip users list. And
      see what can be developed. It's results would not be graphical of
      course.
      Andy

      Greg Chapman <greg@...> wrote on Mon, 16 Jul
      2001

      > Obviously, I use NoteTab for creating my web sites. As
      > the sites expand and the web of links becomes more
      > complex I feel a need for some software that
      > graphically displays all my files and the links within
      > the site.

      Greg Chapman <greg@...> wrote on Tue, 17 Jul
      2001

      > However, I was looking for a package that allowed my to
      > see, at a glance, where the "star" pages were on my
      > site.

      Message: 2
      Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:33:55 -0400 (EDT)
      From: Scott Fordin <sfordin@...>
      Subject: Re: Dot Fill

      Instead of using a dot fill, why not just use alternating row colors in
      your table? True, some very old browsers can't handle table cell
      background colors, but really, 90-95% of the browsers out there can handle
      them just fine.

      Scott

      On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Lotta wrote:

      > From: Lotta <loro@...>
      > To: ntb-html@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 06:17:24 +0200
      > Subject: Re: [NH] Dot Fill
      >
      > Ray,
      >
      > >Also, I worry that various browsers or various local font settings will
      > >mangle the appearance I'm working so hard to improve.
      >
      > Oh yes, I'm afraid it absolutely would.
      >
      > Is the purpose that it should be easier for the eye to follow the line? In
      > that case I think it looks perfectly OK as it is. Or you could consider
      > using two different, light background colors, alternating them each TR. Or
      > simply keep the borders on.
      >
      > The "filling" could probably be done with some kind of script, but with
      > plain HTML I fear it would be messy. But then I'm not sure that I
      > understand what you want to do - but I think I do. :)
      >
      > Lotta

      Message: 3
      Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:47:34 -0400
      From: "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...>

      Hi Lotta and Greg

      I intend to drop the idea of dot fill as being impractical. I like the idea
      of alternate background colors for successive rows except that I often add
      or subtract a name in the table. I'd have to develop a way to re-color the
      table after each change. Can this sort of thing be done with a style sheet?

      I have never had any success in getting Tidy to work.

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ

      Message: 4
      Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:07:09 +0200
      From: Lotta <loro@...>

      Ray,

      >I like the idea of alternate background colors for successive rows except
      >that I often add
      >or subtract a name in the table. I'd have to develop a way to re-color the
      >table after each change. Can this sort of thing be done with a style
      sheet?

      If you mean can the background colors be done with CSS - Yes.
      If you are saying that you want to delete a row and CSS would automatically
      change all the colors - no.
      Again, some kind of script could probably do it but it can't be done
      without that.

      Either you use only HTML or HTML + CSS you need to in some way denote which
      rows that should have which color. If you yank one row out you have to
      rewrite the color attributes for the whole table. I guess this could be a
      job for NTB . Give a certain attribute to every other TR and another one to
      the rest. Get Jody on it! :)

      Message: 5
      Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:23:18 +0200
      From: Lotta <loro@...>

      Ray,

      >If you yank one row out you have to
      >rewrite the color attributes for the whole table.

      Come to think of it, that could just as easily be done with Find and
      Replace even for a large document. It's after all only a matter of (after
      the deleted or added row) changing all attribute A to attribute B and vice
      versa, isn't it?

      Message: 6
      Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 15:06:29 -0500
      From: Wayland_B_Fowler@...
      Subject: Any JavaScripters?

      Hi NTP HTMLers,

      Do we have any Java Scripters out there?

      I am having a small difficulty with a "for loop" within a function. It
      seems to loop, just fine, if the function is invoked directly within the
      BODY of my HTML code, Like the following:

      <SCRIPT LANGUAGE=JAVASCRIPT TYPE="TEXT/JAVASCRIPT">
      <!-- Hide script from old browsers
      function plugInLoop() {
      for (i = 0; i < navigator.plugins.length; i++) {
      document.write(1 + i)
      document.write(". ")
      document.write(navigator.plugins[i].name)
      document.write("<br>")
      }
      }
      // End hiding script from older browsers -->
      </SCRIPT>
      </HEAD>

      <BODY>
      <SCRIPT LANGUAGE=JAVASCRIPT TYPE="TEXT/JAVASCRIPT">
      <!--
      plugInLoop()
      // -->
      </SCRIPT>
      </BODY>

      *********** end of script example

      Okay, if I take the same function, and invoke after some event, say cliking
      a button, I get a javascript error stating that my index variable (in this
      case "i") is not defined. Here is the code:

      <SCRIPT LANGUAGE=JAVASCRIPT TYPE="TEXT/JAVASCRIPT">
      <!-- Hide script from old browsers
      function plugInLoop() {
      for (i = 0; i < navigator.plugins.length; i++) {
      document.write(1 + i)
      document.write(". ")
      document.write(navigator.plugins[i].name)
      document.write("<br>")
      }
      }
      // End hiding script from older browsers -->
      </SCRIPT>
      </HEAD>

      <BODY>
      <FORM>
      <INPUT TYPE=BUTTON VALUE="Plugins?" onClick=plugInLoop()>
      </FORM>
      </BODY>

      Can anyone tell me how the "i" becomes undefined, in the second set of
      code? The place that it reports being not defined is
      "document.write(navigator.plugins[i].name)" Any explanations?

      Regards,

      Wayland
      I think everyone should be nice to me, don't you?

      Message: 7
      Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:59:30 -0400
      From: "Ray Shapp" <rayshapp@...>

      Lotta,

      You said>>>>
      Come to think of it, that could just as easily be done with Find and
      Replace even for a large document. It's after all only a matter of (after
      the deleted or added row) changing all attribute A to attribute B and vice
      versa, isn't it?<<<<<<

      I don't think so. Let's say I use a white background for all odd numbered
      rows and a gray background for all even numbered rows. Now I remove row two
      and add a row between the old row 50 and 51. Color reversals will be
      necessary for new row two through 51 but all others should retain their
      original color. If more than a few additions and deletions are done in a
      session, it could become quite tedious.

      Find and replace, however may do the trick as follows. I could change all
      background attributes to white ("ffffff"). Then use a Regex to find and
      replace both instances of bgcolor="ffffff" to bgcolor="D3D3D3" in every even
      numbered row.

      The sample below my signature shows my desired end point. Will anyone help
      me write the Regex that will ignore without change everything between the
      first instance of <TR> (anything) </TR> and in the second instance of <TR>
      (anything) </TR>, replace both copies of "ffffff" with "D3D3D3" then repeat
      the pattern?

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ

      <CENTER>
      <TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=0 WIDTH=460>

      <TR>
      <TD ALIGN="left" width="230" bgcolor="ffffff"><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"
      SIZE=3>
      <B>Adams, Joe   </font></B></TD>
      <TD ALIGN="LEFT" width="230" bgcolor="ffffff"><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"
      SIZE=3>
      <A HREF="mailto:ccdhanks@...">ccdhanks@...
      </A></font></TD></TR>
      <TR>
      <TD ALIGN="left" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
      <B>Anderson, Frank   </B></CENTER></TD>
      <TD ALIGN="LEFT" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
      <A HREF="mailto:uses@...">uses@...
      </A></TD></TR>
      <TR>
      <TD ALIGN="left" bgcolor="ffffff">
      <B>Arcaro, Bill   </B></CENTER></TD>
      <TD ALIGN="LEFT" bgcolor="ffffff">
      <A HREF="mailto:jbar@...">jbar@...
      </A></TD></TR>
      <TR>
      <TD ALIGN="left" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
      <B>Ashcraft, Anaconda George   </B></CENTER></TD>
      <TD ALIGN="LEFT" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
      <A HREF="mailto:links3@...">links3@...
      </A></TD></TR>

      </TABLE>

      Message: 8
      Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:04:00 +0200
      From: Lotta <loro@...>

      Good morning Ray,

      >>Come to think of it, that could just as easily be done with Find and
      >>Replace
      >
      >I don't think so. Let's say I use a white background for all odd numbered
      >rows and a gray background for all even numbered rows. Now I remove row
      two
      >and add a row between the old row 50 and 51. Color reversals will be
      >necessary for new row two through 51 but all others should retain their
      >original color. If more than a few additions and deletions are done in a
      >session, it could become quite tedious.
      >
      >Find and replace, however may do the trick as follows. I could change all
      >background attributes to white ("ffffff"). Then use a Regex to find and
      >replace both instances of bgcolor="ffffff" to bgcolor="D3D3D3" in every
      even
      >numbered row.

      Ah, I though that you were going to change only one or two names at the
      time.

      Just a tip for you. Either you do the colors in HTML or CSS you don't need
      to specify them for each cell. Works with rows as well. You get less code
      and the switching becomes easier whatever method you choose.

      I would consider using CSS for both colors and fonts. Not even NS4x
      browsers have problems with this and the code becomes so much cleaner and
      easier to handle. But then I don't know if you want to use CSS.

      Message: 9
      Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:41:33 -0700
      From: Stephen Riddle <stephen@...>
      Subject: Re: Any JavaScripters?

      Hi Wayland,
      I re-formated it so I could see the structure, then noticed you did not
      declare the variable i properly.
      It has something to do with the scope of the variable. I'm not sure why
      it worked called from another script tag versus an event handler. Must
      be the magic of modern technology.

      I noticed it did not work in Microsoft's browser. I re-wrote it to open
      a newWindow and write the information to it. That did not work either,
      as I apparently do not have any plugins in Microsoft at the moment
      (which is weird,because I know there are some there.)
      Anyway, if you'd like the other too, let me know & I'll send you it,
      orif you just feel it might confuse the issue, that's fine too.
      Take care,
      Stephen
      <HEAD>

      <SCRIPT LANGUAGE=JAVASCRIPT TYPE="TEXT/JAVASCRIPT">
      <!-- Hide script from old browsers
      function plugInLoop()
      {

      for (var i = 0; i < navigator.plugins.length; i++)
      {
      document.write(1 + i);
      document.write(". ");
      document.write(navigator.plugins[i].name);
      document.write("<br>");
      }
      }
      // End hiding script from older browsers -->
      </SCRIPT>
      </HEAD>

      <BODY>
      <FORM>
      <INPUT TYPE=BUTTON VALUE="Plugins?" onClick="plugInLoop();">
      </FORM>
      </BODY>

      Message: 10
      Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:08:04 +0300
      From: "Yehuda Katz" <yehuka@...>

      Just a practical thought...
      When I see all the time, brain attributes, bandwidth etc. devoted for this
      dots issue, I wonder if it would not be MUCH simpler to add the dots
      manually. You do it for the whole list only once (maybe 1 hour work for 200
      items), then you can remove any item without hard feelings. Of course, when
      you add a new entry, you will have to add to it those 3-or-so dots.

      Yehuda