Re: [NH] Dot Fill

  • Lotta
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 17, 2001
      Ray,

      >If you yank one row out you have to
      >rewrite the color attributes for the whole table.

      Come to think of it, that could just as easily be done with Find and
      Replace even for a large document. It's after all only a matter of (after
      the deleted or added row) changing all attribute A to attribute B and vice
      versa, isn't it?

    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 17, 2001
        Lotta,

        You said>>>>
        Come to think of it, that could just as easily be done with Find and
        Replace even for a large document. It's after all only a matter of (after
        the deleted or added row) changing all attribute A to attribute B and vice
        versa, isn't it?<<<<<<

        I don't think so. Let's say I use a white background for all odd numbered
        rows and a gray background for all even numbered rows. Now I remove row two
        and add a row between the old row 50 and 51. Color reversals will be
        necessary for new row two through 51 but all others should retain their
        original color. If more than a few additions and deletions are done in a
        session, it could become quite tedious.

        Find and replace, however may do the trick as follows. I could change all
        background attributes to white ("ffffff"). Then use a Regex to find and
        replace both instances of bgcolor="ffffff" to bgcolor="D3D3D3" in every even
        numbered row.

        The sample below my signature shows my desired end point. Will anyone help
        me write the Regex that will ignore without change everything between the
        first instance of <TR> (anything) </TR> and in the second instance of <TR>
        (anything) </TR>, replace both copies of "ffffff" with "D3D3D3" then repeat
        the pattern?

        Ray Shapp
        Watchung, NJ

        <CENTER>
        <TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=0 WIDTH=460>

        <TR>
        <TD ALIGN="left" width="230" bgcolor="ffffff"><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"
        SIZE=3>
        <B>Adams, Joe   </font></B></TD>
        <TD ALIGN="LEFT" width="230" bgcolor="ffffff"><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"
        SIZE=3>
        <A HREF="mailto:ccdhanks@...">ccdhanks@...
        </A></font></TD></TR>
        <TR>
        <TD ALIGN="left" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
        <B>Anderson, Frank   </B></CENTER></TD>
        <TD ALIGN="LEFT" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
        <A HREF="mailto:uses@...">uses@...
        </A></TD></TR>
        <TR>
        <TD ALIGN="left" bgcolor="ffffff">
        <B>Arcaro, Bill   </B></CENTER></TD>
        <TD ALIGN="LEFT" bgcolor="ffffff">
        <A HREF="mailto:jbar@...">jbar@...
        </A></TD></TR>
        <TR>
        <TD ALIGN="left" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
        <B>Ashcraft, Anaconda George   </B></CENTER></TD>
        <TD ALIGN="LEFT" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
        <A HREF="mailto:links3@...">links3@...
        </A></TD></TR>

        </TABLE>
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 18, 2001
          Good morning Ray,

          >>Come to think of it, that could just as easily be done with Find and
          >>Replace
          >
          >I don't think so. Let's say I use a white background for all odd numbered
          >rows and a gray background for all even numbered rows. Now I remove row two
          >and add a row between the old row 50 and 51. Color reversals will be
          >necessary for new row two through 51 but all others should retain their
          >original color. If more than a few additions and deletions are done in a
          >session, it could become quite tedious.
          >
          >Find and replace, however may do the trick as follows. I could change all
          >background attributes to white ("ffffff"). Then use a Regex to find and
          >replace both instances of bgcolor="ffffff" to bgcolor="D3D3D3" in every even
          >numbered row.

          Ah, I though that you were going to change only one or two names at the time.

          Just a tip for you. Either you do the colors in HTML or CSS you don't need
          to specify them for each cell. Works with rows as well. You get less code
          and the switching becomes easier whatever method you choose.

          I would consider using CSS for both colors and fonts. Not even NS4x
          browsers have problems with this and the code becomes so much cleaner and
          easier to handle. But then I don't know if you want to use CSS.

          Lotta
        • Yehuda Katz
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 18, 2001
            Just a practical thought...
            When I see all the time, brain attributes, bandwidth etc. devoted for this
            dots issue, I wonder if it would not be MUCH simpler to add the dots
            manually. You do it for the whole list only once (maybe 1 hour work for 200
            items), then you can remove any item without hard feelings. Of course, when
            you add a new entry, you will have to add to it those 3-or-so dots.

            Yehuda