Re: [NH] Dot Fill

  • Lotta
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 17, 2001
      Ray,

      >I like the idea of alternate background colors for successive rows except
      >that I often add
      >or subtract a name in the table. I'd have to develop a way to re-color the
      >table after each change. Can this sort of thing be done with a style sheet?

      If you mean can the background colors be done with CSS - Yes.
      If you are saying that you want to delete a row and CSS would automatically
      change all the colors - no.
      Again, some kind of script could probably do it but it can't be done
      without that.

      Either you use only HTML or HTML + CSS you need to in some way denote which
      rows that should have which color. If you yank one row out you have to
      rewrite the color attributes for the whole table. I guess this could be a
      job for NTB . Give a certain attribute to every other TR and another one to
      the rest. Get Jody on it! :)

      Lotta
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 17, 2001
        Ray,

        >If you yank one row out you have to
        >rewrite the color attributes for the whole table.

        Come to think of it, that could just as easily be done with Find and
        Replace even for a large document. It's after all only a matter of (after
        the deleted or added row) changing all attribute A to attribute B and vice
        versa, isn't it?

      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 17, 2001
          Lotta,

          You said>>>>
          Come to think of it, that could just as easily be done with Find and
          Replace even for a large document. It's after all only a matter of (after
          the deleted or added row) changing all attribute A to attribute B and vice
          versa, isn't it?<<<<<<

          I don't think so. Let's say I use a white background for all odd numbered
          rows and a gray background for all even numbered rows. Now I remove row two
          and add a row between the old row 50 and 51. Color reversals will be
          necessary for new row two through 51 but all others should retain their
          original color. If more than a few additions and deletions are done in a
          session, it could become quite tedious.

          Find and replace, however may do the trick as follows. I could change all
          background attributes to white ("ffffff"). Then use a Regex to find and
          replace both instances of bgcolor="ffffff" to bgcolor="D3D3D3" in every even
          numbered row.

          The sample below my signature shows my desired end point. Will anyone help
          me write the Regex that will ignore without change everything between the
          first instance of <TR> (anything) </TR> and in the second instance of <TR>
          (anything) </TR>, replace both copies of "ffffff" with "D3D3D3" then repeat
          the pattern?

          Ray Shapp
          Watchung, NJ

          <CENTER>
          <TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=0 WIDTH=460>

          <TR>
          <TD ALIGN="left" width="230" bgcolor="ffffff"><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"
          SIZE=3>
          <B>Adams, Joe   </font></B></TD>
          <TD ALIGN="LEFT" width="230" bgcolor="ffffff"><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"
          SIZE=3>
          <A HREF="mailto:ccdhanks@...">ccdhanks@...
          </A></font></TD></TR>
          <TR>
          <TD ALIGN="left" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
          <B>Anderson, Frank   </B></CENTER></TD>
          <TD ALIGN="LEFT" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
          <A HREF="mailto:uses@...">uses@...
          </A></TD></TR>
          <TR>
          <TD ALIGN="left" bgcolor="ffffff">
          <B>Arcaro, Bill   </B></CENTER></TD>
          <TD ALIGN="LEFT" bgcolor="ffffff">
          <A HREF="mailto:jbar@...">jbar@...
          </A></TD></TR>
          <TR>
          <TD ALIGN="left" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
          <B>Ashcraft, Anaconda George   </B></CENTER></TD>
          <TD ALIGN="LEFT" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
          <A HREF="mailto:links3@...">links3@...
          </A></TD></TR>

          </TABLE>
        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 18, 2001
            Good morning Ray,

            >>Come to think of it, that could just as easily be done with Find and
            >>Replace
            >
            >I don't think so. Let's say I use a white background for all odd numbered
            >rows and a gray background for all even numbered rows. Now I remove row two
            >and add a row between the old row 50 and 51. Color reversals will be
            >necessary for new row two through 51 but all others should retain their
            >original color. If more than a few additions and deletions are done in a
            >session, it could become quite tedious.
            >
            >Find and replace, however may do the trick as follows. I could change all
            >background attributes to white ("ffffff"). Then use a Regex to find and
            >replace both instances of bgcolor="ffffff" to bgcolor="D3D3D3" in every even
            >numbered row.

            Ah, I though that you were going to change only one or two names at the time.

            Just a tip for you. Either you do the colors in HTML or CSS you don't need
            to specify them for each cell. Works with rows as well. You get less code
            and the switching becomes easier whatever method you choose.

            I would consider using CSS for both colors and fonts. Not even NS4x
            browsers have problems with this and the code becomes so much cleaner and
            easier to handle. But then I don't know if you want to use CSS.

            Lotta
          • Yehuda Katz
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 18, 2001
              Just a practical thought...
              When I see all the time, brain attributes, bandwidth etc. devoted for this
              dots issue, I wonder if it would not be MUCH simpler to add the dots
              manually. You do it for the whole list only once (maybe 1 hour work for 200
              items), then you can remove any item without hard feelings. Of course, when
              you add a new entry, you will have to add to it those 3-or-so dots.

              Yehuda