Re: [NH] Dot Fill

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 17, 2001
      Hi Lotta and Greg

      I intend to drop the idea of dot fill as being impractical. I like the idea
      of alternate background colors for successive rows except that I often add
      or subtract a name in the table. I'd have to develop a way to re-color the
      table after each change. Can this sort of thing be done with a style sheet?

      I have never had any success in getting Tidy to work.

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 17, 2001
        Ray,

        >I like the idea of alternate background colors for successive rows except
        >that I often add
        >or subtract a name in the table. I'd have to develop a way to re-color the
        >table after each change. Can this sort of thing be done with a style sheet?

        If you mean can the background colors be done with CSS - Yes.
        If you are saying that you want to delete a row and CSS would automatically
        change all the colors - no.
        Again, some kind of script could probably do it but it can't be done
        without that.

        Either you use only HTML or HTML + CSS you need to in some way denote which
        rows that should have which color. If you yank one row out you have to
        rewrite the color attributes for the whole table. I guess this could be a
        job for NTB . Give a certain attribute to every other TR and another one to
        the rest. Get Jody on it! :)

        Lotta
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 17, 2001
          Ray,

          >If you yank one row out you have to
          >rewrite the color attributes for the whole table.

          Come to think of it, that could just as easily be done with Find and
          Replace even for a large document. It's after all only a matter of (after
          the deleted or added row) changing all attribute A to attribute B and vice
          versa, isn't it?

        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 17, 2001
            Lotta,

            You said>>>>
            Come to think of it, that could just as easily be done with Find and
            Replace even for a large document. It's after all only a matter of (after
            the deleted or added row) changing all attribute A to attribute B and vice
            versa, isn't it?<<<<<<

            I don't think so. Let's say I use a white background for all odd numbered
            rows and a gray background for all even numbered rows. Now I remove row two
            and add a row between the old row 50 and 51. Color reversals will be
            necessary for new row two through 51 but all others should retain their
            original color. If more than a few additions and deletions are done in a
            session, it could become quite tedious.

            Find and replace, however may do the trick as follows. I could change all
            background attributes to white ("ffffff"). Then use a Regex to find and
            replace both instances of bgcolor="ffffff" to bgcolor="D3D3D3" in every even
            numbered row.

            The sample below my signature shows my desired end point. Will anyone help
            me write the Regex that will ignore without change everything between the
            first instance of <TR> (anything) </TR> and in the second instance of <TR>
            (anything) </TR>, replace both copies of "ffffff" with "D3D3D3" then repeat
            the pattern?

            Ray Shapp
            Watchung, NJ

            <CENTER>
            <TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=0 WIDTH=460>

            <TR>
            <TD ALIGN="left" width="230" bgcolor="ffffff"><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"
            SIZE=3>
            <B>Adams, Joe   </font></B></TD>
            <TD ALIGN="LEFT" width="230" bgcolor="ffffff"><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"
            SIZE=3>
            <A HREF="mailto:ccdhanks@...">ccdhanks@...
            </A></font></TD></TR>
            <TR>
            <TD ALIGN="left" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
            <B>Anderson, Frank   </B></CENTER></TD>
            <TD ALIGN="LEFT" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
            <A HREF="mailto:uses@...">uses@...
            </A></TD></TR>
            <TR>
            <TD ALIGN="left" bgcolor="ffffff">
            <B>Arcaro, Bill   </B></CENTER></TD>
            <TD ALIGN="LEFT" bgcolor="ffffff">
            <A HREF="mailto:jbar@...">jbar@...
            </A></TD></TR>
            <TR>
            <TD ALIGN="left" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
            <B>Ashcraft, Anaconda George   </B></CENTER></TD>
            <TD ALIGN="LEFT" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
            <A HREF="mailto:links3@...">links3@...
            </A></TD></TR>

            </TABLE>
          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 18, 2001
              Good morning Ray,

              >>Come to think of it, that could just as easily be done with Find and
              >>Replace
              >
              >I don't think so. Let's say I use a white background for all odd numbered
              >rows and a gray background for all even numbered rows. Now I remove row two
              >and add a row between the old row 50 and 51. Color reversals will be
              >necessary for new row two through 51 but all others should retain their
              >original color. If more than a few additions and deletions are done in a
              >session, it could become quite tedious.
              >
              >Find and replace, however may do the trick as follows. I could change all
              >background attributes to white ("ffffff"). Then use a Regex to find and
              >replace both instances of bgcolor="ffffff" to bgcolor="D3D3D3" in every even
              >numbered row.

              Ah, I though that you were going to change only one or two names at the time.

              Just a tip for you. Either you do the colors in HTML or CSS you don't need
              to specify them for each cell. Works with rows as well. You get less code
              and the switching becomes easier whatever method you choose.

              I would consider using CSS for both colors and fonts. Not even NS4x
              browsers have problems with this and the code becomes so much cleaner and
              easier to handle. But then I don't know if you want to use CSS.

              Lotta
            • Yehuda Katz
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 18, 2001
                Just a practical thought...
                When I see all the time, brain attributes, bandwidth etc. devoted for this
                dots issue, I wonder if it would not be MUCH simpler to add the dots
                manually. You do it for the whole list only once (maybe 1 hour work for 200
                items), then you can remove any item without hard feelings. Of course, when
                you add a new entry, you will have to add to it those 3-or-so dots.

                Yehuda