Re: [NH] Dot Fill

  • Scott Fordin
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 17, 2001
      Instead of using a dot fill, why not just use alternating row colors in
      your table? True, some very old browsers can't handle table cell
      background colors, but really, 90-95% of the browsers out there can handle
      them just fine.

      Scott

      On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Lotta wrote:

      > From: Lotta <loro@...>
      > To: ntb-html@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 06:17:24 +0200
      > Subject: Re: [NH] Dot Fill
      >
      > Ray,
      >
      > >Also, I worry that various browsers or various local font settings will
      > >mangle the appearance I'm working so hard to improve.
      >
      > Oh yes, I'm afraid it absolutely would.
      >
      > Is the purpose that it should be easier for the eye to follow the line? In
      > that case I think it looks perfectly OK as it is. Or you could consider
      > using two different, light background colors, alternating them each TR. Or
      > simply keep the borders on.
      >
      > The "filling" could probably be done with some kind of script, but with
      > plain HTML I fear it would be messy. But then I'm not sure that I
      > understand what you want to do - but I think I do. :)
      >
      > Lotta

    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 17, 2001
        Hi Lotta and Greg

        I intend to drop the idea of dot fill as being impractical. I like the idea
        of alternate background colors for successive rows except that I often add
        or subtract a name in the table. I'd have to develop a way to re-color the
        table after each change. Can this sort of thing be done with a style sheet?

        I have never had any success in getting Tidy to work.

        Ray Shapp
        Watchung, NJ
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 17, 2001
          Ray,

          >I like the idea of alternate background colors for successive rows except
          >that I often add
          >or subtract a name in the table. I'd have to develop a way to re-color the
          >table after each change. Can this sort of thing be done with a style sheet?

          If you mean can the background colors be done with CSS - Yes.
          If you are saying that you want to delete a row and CSS would automatically
          change all the colors - no.
          Again, some kind of script could probably do it but it can't be done
          without that.

          Either you use only HTML or HTML + CSS you need to in some way denote which
          rows that should have which color. If you yank one row out you have to
          rewrite the color attributes for the whole table. I guess this could be a
          job for NTB . Give a certain attribute to every other TR and another one to
          the rest. Get Jody on it! :)

          Lotta
        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 17, 2001
            Ray,

            >If you yank one row out you have to
            >rewrite the color attributes for the whole table.

            Come to think of it, that could just as easily be done with Find and
            Replace even for a large document. It's after all only a matter of (after
            the deleted or added row) changing all attribute A to attribute B and vice
            versa, isn't it?

          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 17, 2001
              Lotta,

              You said>>>>
              Come to think of it, that could just as easily be done with Find and
              Replace even for a large document. It's after all only a matter of (after
              the deleted or added row) changing all attribute A to attribute B and vice
              versa, isn't it?<<<<<<

              I don't think so. Let's say I use a white background for all odd numbered
              rows and a gray background for all even numbered rows. Now I remove row two
              and add a row between the old row 50 and 51. Color reversals will be
              necessary for new row two through 51 but all others should retain their
              original color. If more than a few additions and deletions are done in a
              session, it could become quite tedious.

              Find and replace, however may do the trick as follows. I could change all
              background attributes to white ("ffffff"). Then use a Regex to find and
              replace both instances of bgcolor="ffffff" to bgcolor="D3D3D3" in every even
              numbered row.

              The sample below my signature shows my desired end point. Will anyone help
              me write the Regex that will ignore without change everything between the
              first instance of <TR> (anything) </TR> and in the second instance of <TR>
              (anything) </TR>, replace both copies of "ffffff" with "D3D3D3" then repeat
              the pattern?

              Ray Shapp
              Watchung, NJ

              <CENTER>
              <TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=0 WIDTH=460>

              <TR>
              <TD ALIGN="left" width="230" bgcolor="ffffff"><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"
              SIZE=3>
              <B>Adams, Joe   </font></B></TD>
              <TD ALIGN="LEFT" width="230" bgcolor="ffffff"><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"
              SIZE=3>
              <A HREF="mailto:ccdhanks@...">ccdhanks@...
              </A></font></TD></TR>
              <TR>
              <TD ALIGN="left" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
              <B>Anderson, Frank   </B></CENTER></TD>
              <TD ALIGN="LEFT" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
              <A HREF="mailto:uses@...">uses@...
              </A></TD></TR>
              <TR>
              <TD ALIGN="left" bgcolor="ffffff">
              <B>Arcaro, Bill   </B></CENTER></TD>
              <TD ALIGN="LEFT" bgcolor="ffffff">
              <A HREF="mailto:jbar@...">jbar@...
              </A></TD></TR>
              <TR>
              <TD ALIGN="left" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
              <B>Ashcraft, Anaconda George   </B></CENTER></TD>
              <TD ALIGN="LEFT" bgcolor="D3D3D3">
              <A HREF="mailto:links3@...">links3@...
              </A></TD></TR>

              </TABLE>
            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 18, 2001
                Good morning Ray,

                >>Come to think of it, that could just as easily be done with Find and
                >>Replace
                >
                >I don't think so. Let's say I use a white background for all odd numbered
                >rows and a gray background for all even numbered rows. Now I remove row two
                >and add a row between the old row 50 and 51. Color reversals will be
                >necessary for new row two through 51 but all others should retain their
                >original color. If more than a few additions and deletions are done in a
                >session, it could become quite tedious.
                >
                >Find and replace, however may do the trick as follows. I could change all
                >background attributes to white ("ffffff"). Then use a Regex to find and
                >replace both instances of bgcolor="ffffff" to bgcolor="D3D3D3" in every even
                >numbered row.

                Ah, I though that you were going to change only one or two names at the time.

                Just a tip for you. Either you do the colors in HTML or CSS you don't need
                to specify them for each cell. Works with rows as well. You get less code
                and the switching becomes easier whatever method you choose.

                I would consider using CSS for both colors and fonts. Not even NS4x
                browsers have problems with this and the code becomes so much cleaner and
                easier to handle. But then I don't know if you want to use CSS.

                Lotta
              • Yehuda Katz
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 18, 2001
                  Just a practical thought...
                  When I see all the time, brain attributes, bandwidth etc. devoted for this
                  dots issue, I wonder if it would not be MUCH simpler to add the dots
                  manually. You do it for the whole list only once (maybe 1 hour work for 200
                  items), then you can remove any item without hard feelings. Of course, when
                  you add a new entry, you will have to add to it those 3-or-so dots.

                  Yehuda