RE: [NH] Web Link Software

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2001
      Hi Rudolf/Henry,

      Thanks for your responses.

      > Xenu's Link sleuth (http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html) not
      > only validates Your links, but also builds a html site map in its
      > report. The display is not really a graphical one but helps
      > understand site structures.

      Jody introduced me to Xenu and I can confirm it does a good job at it's
      primary function of checking for broken links.

      However, I was looking for a package that allowed my to see, at a glance,
      where the "star" pages were on my site. Maybe I haven't looked at it
      properly with this task in mind but, from memory, the trouble with Xenu for
      this purpose is that it produces long, text based, lists of links, for each
      page that need some studying to work out where they all point to.

      The kind of package I am looking for will allow you to focus on an icon
      representing one page and around it will draw icons for each page that it is
      linked to. Each of these icons/pages then in turn have lines representing
      links to radiate from them ad infinitem. Click on a different icon and the
      screen redraws with the newly selected icon as the focus of the display.

      > The other piece of software that I know & use to display site maps
      > with links is Macromedia's Dreamweaver, but I admit that it's one of
      > those monster apps with a high price and can't be compared to a slick
      > program like NTP :)

      If no one comes up with a better solution I may just have to load that old
      copy of AOLPress I used to have. At least it was freeware!

      As a BTW, UK based readers might like to know that PC PLUS magazine now
      includes Xenu as one of its "Library files" appearing on every issue's cover
      disk.

      It is also becoming clear that Helen Bradley, one of the magazine's regular
      contributors is a regular user of NoteTab Light. Her recent articles have
      been peppered with NOTETAB screen dumps. However, NOTETAB still doesn't
      feature among the Library Files on the disk. I might just write to
      mailto:hbradley@... or Chris Wiles
      (mailto:chris.wiles@...) who organises the disks, to find out
      why! Anyone else, going to join in the campaign? :-)

      Greg
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2001
        Greg wrote:
        >It is also becoming clear that Helen Bradley, one of the magazine's regular
        >contributors is a regular user of NoteTab Light.

        So, she is cheap. :p

        (Don't jump me, all Light users!)

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 16, 2001
          Hi Brendan and Greg,

          (We should bring this to the OT list, Clips, or private eMail. TIA)

          >I use TreePad http://www.treepad.com (Freebie). Results in a
          >windows explorer type display, with collapsible directories.
          >There might be a connecting clip but I am not up to speed with
          >clips (on the to-do list).

          My Outline Library has a Clip in it made by Grandma Kay "Outline-
          TreePad" that converts NoteTab's Outlines to TreePad format. Each
          beading in NoteTab's Outline is converted to make a heading
          (node?). So, I suppose it would give you a head start. I would
          add ^!SetScreenUpdate Off and before and outside the loops add
          ^!SetHintInfo [Whatever] w/o the brackets. Look on my Library
          page to download the Outline Libraries.

          http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm

          I image that a Clip could be made that when it is clicked on it
          would get the focused heading in the Outline and add it under a
          main node making the multiple levels. I don't have one built, to
          see what code you add to do the subdirectories, so I can help
          make the Clip. If some body wants to send me the formatting of
          the file such as the code TreePad looks for, I can build the Clip.
          This is the ending of a node which would be something like </a>
          in HTML and the start of another follows it: <node>.

          <end node> 5P9i0s8y19Z
          <node>
          Web Documents

          The extension of a TreePad file is .hjt