Dot Fill

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16, 2001
      Does anyone know how to specify dot fill for cells in a table in HTML?

      I have a two column table. The left column contains user name
      left-justified. The right column contains user code number also
      left-justified. The table is borderless by design. The left column is
      fairly wide to accommodate long names and it would aid the eye if periods or
      hyphens or some other symbol could be made to fill the cells in the left
      column. Is there an attribute or other device in standard HTML to do this?

      Thanks for the help,

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 16, 2001
        Hi Ray,

        I would need a few rows to see exactly what needs to be done in a
        Clip, perhaps the table itself and just leave about 5-10 of the
        rows. Using the Clip code we have: ^$StrFill("Str";Amount)$ and
        the other code needed to align the columns up using a period in
        place of the spaces. You can make some phony addresses and names
        just by adding a few letters hear and there.

        > Does anyone know how to specify dot fill for cells in a table
        > in HTML?
        >
        > I have a two column table. The left column contains user name
        > left-justified. The right column contains user code number
        > also left-justified. The table is borderless by design. The
        > left column is fairly wide to accommodate long names and it
        > would aid the eye if periods or hyphens or some other symbol
        > could be made to fill the cells in the left column. Is there
        > an attribute or other device in standard HTML to do this?

        http://www.notetab.net

        The NoteTab and Html List...
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 17, 2001
          Hi Ray,

          > Does anyone know how to specify dot fill for cells in a table in HTML?

          No such attribute exists!

          > The table is borderless by design.

          There's your problem. The designers of HTML expected you to use
          borders/rules if you wanted a "leader" to draw your eye to the right row.
          Any work-around is likely not to be rendered in the way you wish in any
          browser you that you fail to test your file in, so I wouldn't bother
          attempting it! :-(

          Greg
        • Fitzgerald, Raymond
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 18, 2001
            Hi Ray, Lotta,

            >>I like the idea of alternate background colors for successive rows except
            >>that I often add or subtract a name in the table.
            >
            >I guess this could be a
            >job for NTB . Give a certain attribute to every other TR and another one to

            >the rest. Get Jody on it! :)

            I maintain a few pages just like this and they do use CSS. One <tr> is
            class="white" and the other "grey." You're welcome to my clip if you want
            it.

            Cheers,
            Ray