Re: [NH] Web Link Software

  • Henry Strobel
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2001
      Here's another vote for Xenu's, which is very small and fast and is on my
      clipbar.

      Henry Strobel

      At 11:58 AM 7/16/01 +0200, you wrote:
      >Greg,
      >
      >Xenu's Link sleuth (http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html) not
      >only validates Your links, but also builds a html site map in its
      >report. The display is not really a graphical one but helps
      >understand site structures.
      >
      >The other piece of software that I know & use to display site maps
      >with links is Macromedia's Dreamweaver, but I admit that it's one of
      >those monster apps with a high price and can't be compared to a slick
      >program like NTP :)
      >
      >Rudi
      >
      > > Obviously, I use NoteTab for creating my web sites. As the sites
      >expand and
      > > the web of links becomes more complex I feel a need for some
      >software that
      > > graphically displays all my files and the links within the site.
      > >
      > > I remember seeing something like what I'm after built into
      >AOLPress, and
      > > possibly HotMetal - no doubt all the WYSIWYG packages have the
      >facility
      > > built in - but I need a simple stand-alone piece of software to do
      >the task,
      > > which I can integrate, through an addition to my clipbar, to
      >NoteTab.

      <Books@...>
      http://www.HenryStrobel.com
    • Brendan Smyth
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2001
        Hi Greg,
        I use TreePad http://www.treepad.com (Freebie). Results in a
        windows explorer type display, with collapsible directories. There might be
        a connecting clip but I am not up to speed with clips (on the to-do list).

        Regards...Brendan

        At 10:11 AM 7/16/2001 +0100, you wrote:
        >Hi Gang!
        >
        >Obviously, I use NoteTab for creating my web sites. As the sites expand and
        >the web of links becomes more complex I feel a need for some software that
        >graphically displays all my files and the links within the site.
        >
        >I remember seeing something like what I'm after built into AOLPress, and
        >possibly HotMetal - no doubt all the WYSIWYG packages have the facility
        >built in - but I need a simple stand-alone piece of software to do the task,
        >which I can integrate, through an addition to my clipbar, to NoteTab.
        >
        >Any recommendations?
        >
        >Greg

        Brendan Smyth
        mailto:bsmyth@...
        New Brunswick
        Canada
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 16, 2001
          Hi Rudolf/Henry,

          Thanks for your responses.

          > Xenu's Link sleuth (http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html) not
          > only validates Your links, but also builds a html site map in its
          > report. The display is not really a graphical one but helps
          > understand site structures.

          Jody introduced me to Xenu and I can confirm it does a good job at it's
          primary function of checking for broken links.

          However, I was looking for a package that allowed my to see, at a glance,
          where the "star" pages were on my site. Maybe I haven't looked at it
          properly with this task in mind but, from memory, the trouble with Xenu for
          this purpose is that it produces long, text based, lists of links, for each
          page that need some studying to work out where they all point to.

          The kind of package I am looking for will allow you to focus on an icon
          representing one page and around it will draw icons for each page that it is
          linked to. Each of these icons/pages then in turn have lines representing
          links to radiate from them ad infinitem. Click on a different icon and the
          screen redraws with the newly selected icon as the focus of the display.

          > The other piece of software that I know & use to display site maps
          > with links is Macromedia's Dreamweaver, but I admit that it's one of
          > those monster apps with a high price and can't be compared to a slick
          > program like NTP :)

          If no one comes up with a better solution I may just have to load that old
          copy of AOLPress I used to have. At least it was freeware!

          As a BTW, UK based readers might like to know that PC PLUS magazine now
          includes Xenu as one of its "Library files" appearing on every issue's cover
          disk.

          It is also becoming clear that Helen Bradley, one of the magazine's regular
          contributors is a regular user of NoteTab Light. Her recent articles have
          been peppered with NOTETAB screen dumps. However, NOTETAB still doesn't
          feature among the Library Files on the disk. I might just write to
          mailto:hbradley@... or Chris Wiles
          (mailto:chris.wiles@...) who organises the disks, to find out
          why! Anyone else, going to join in the campaign? :-)

          Greg
        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 16, 2001
            Greg wrote:
            >It is also becoming clear that Helen Bradley, one of the magazine's regular
            >contributors is a regular user of NoteTab Light.

            So, she is cheap. :p

            (Don't jump me, all Light users!)

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 16, 2001
              Hi Brendan and Greg,

              (We should bring this to the OT list, Clips, or private eMail. TIA)

              >I use TreePad http://www.treepad.com (Freebie). Results in a
              >windows explorer type display, with collapsible directories.
              >There might be a connecting clip but I am not up to speed with
              >clips (on the to-do list).

              My Outline Library has a Clip in it made by Grandma Kay "Outline-
              TreePad" that converts NoteTab's Outlines to TreePad format. Each
              beading in NoteTab's Outline is converted to make a heading
              (node?). So, I suppose it would give you a head start. I would
              add ^!SetScreenUpdate Off and before and outside the loops add
              ^!SetHintInfo [Whatever] w/o the brackets. Look on my Library
              page to download the Outline Libraries.

              http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm

              I image that a Clip could be made that when it is clicked on it
              would get the focused heading in the Outline and add it under a
              main node making the multiple levels. I don't have one built, to
              see what code you add to do the subdirectories, so I can help
              make the Clip. If some body wants to send me the formatting of
              the file such as the code TreePad looks for, I can build the Clip.
              This is the ending of a node which would be something like </a>
              in HTML and the start of another follows it: <node>.

              <end node> 5P9i0s8y19Z
              <node>
              Web Documents

              The extension of a TreePad file is .hjt