Re: [NH] checkLinks

  • Richard Moody
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 22, 2001
      I am wondering if there is a procedure or search engine that can
      detect all of the files.
      For instance I have a web site at http://ric2nr.tripod.com/ I have
      lost some files there because I did not link them. Can you find them
      with your utility? In other words find all files associated with
      that site?
      Richard Moody

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 23, 2001
        > I am wondering if there is a procedure or search engine that can
        > detect all of the files.
        > For instance I have a web site at http://ric2nr.tripod.com/ I have
        > lost some files there because I did not link them. Can you find them
        > with your utility? In other words find all files associated with
        > that site?
        > Richard Moody

        I don't know how you post files to the tripod server but by using any ftp
        client you should see all the files in any given dir.

        The linksChecker clip library
        www.markup.co.nz/validate/checkLinks.zip
        only verifies that the http anchors in a html document are still alive by
        requesting the status response from the server. eg if you get a '200' then
        file is 'ok' .
        In short, you have a list of http links in a html document, the
        linksCheckers clip library will check each link to see if they are still
        have an 'ok' response
        For those interested in reading about the httpRequest object the
        documentation is at
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/xmlsdk/xmld741g.htm
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 23, 2001
          Hi Grant and Richard,

          Grant -
          linkChecker generates this (my translation):
          "There is no script engine for the file extension .js / No file found /
          Http files"

          Something missing on my machine? I had a mishap with IEradicator recently
          and maybe everything wasn't restored.

          Richard -
          Take a look at WebSite Cleaner. It does exactly what you want. The downside
          is that it's a little limited if you don't pay up. There are probably
          similar programs around and some link checkers check for orphan files too.
          I *think* I've seen an on line service with that feature, but don't
          remember which one.
          http://octaneware.hypermart.net/

          Lotta
        • Grant
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 24, 2001
            -
            > linkChecker generates this (my translation):
            > "There is no script engine for the file extension .js / No file found /
            > Http files"
            >
            > Something missing on my machine? I had a mishap with IEradicator recently
            > and maybe everything wasn't restored.

            Most likely;
            If you have disabled wsh or not enabled wsh with custom browser or os
            install then the library won't work.
          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 24, 2001
              Grant.

              >If you have disabled wsh or not enabled wsh with custom browser or os
              >install then the library won't work.

              I don't know the first thing about WSH, but the components seem to be
              there. I copied some simple scripts from the MS site and they ran. I'm
              using win95. Maybe your script needs a later version of WSH or modules that
              didn't ship with the OS until later.

            • Grant
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 25, 2001
                Hi lotta
                > linkChecker generates this (my translation):
                > "There is no script engine for the file extension .js / No file found /
                > Http files"

                I managed to replicate your error.
                I think if you ran the clip again the error would disappear

                ^!set %jsFile%=^$getScriptPath()$getLinks.js
                ^!IfFileExist ^%jsFile% Skip ELSE Next
                ^!TextToFile "^%jsFile%" ^$GetClipText(js_getLinks_file_protocol)$
                ^!Set %links%=^$GetOutput(cscript "^%jsFile%" "//nologo" "^%file%" "file:")$

                What is meant to happen is this
                If the js file doesn't exist then The clip creates the js file then runs it
                in the host.
                Of course this is a timing thing. Write to disk read then read from disk.
                I think what is happening is that, while writing to disk the next clip
                command is executing which is trying to read from the yet unwritten file.
                I'll rewrite it with a delay loop so hopefully this won't happen.

                > I don't know the first thing about WSH, but the components seem to be
                > there. I copied some simple scripts from the MS site and they ran. I'm
                > using win95. Maybe your script needs a later version of WSH or
                > modules that
                > didn't ship with the OS until later.

                The WSH also ships with ie4 5 and 5.5 etc
                The main thing with WSH is that you can instantiate COM object within it.
                Just about everything Ms builds is exposed as a COM object.
                The browser is a com object which can automated
                'InternetExplorer.Application'
                The mshtml parser for the browser also has a Type library "Microsoft HTML
                Object Library"
                Within this library is the coClass HTMLDocument which has a creatable
                progId of 'htmlfile'
                So in my wsh script I go
                var doc = WScript.GetObject(file);
                which instantiates the html document open in Notetab as a 'htmlfile'
                object. Now that I have a handle on the 'htmlfile' object, I can use normal
                DOM methods to extract to extract the links

                var msg = ''
                var max = doc.links.length
                for (var i = 0;i < max;i++)
                {
                if(doc.links[i].protocol == protocol)
                {
                if(msg !== '')
                {msg += '\n'}
                msg += doc.links[i].href;
                }
                }
                WScript.Echo(msg)

                As can be seen below this is the same javascript as I would use in a html
                script block function to do exactly the same thing exept instead of output
                to console with WScript.Echo(msg) there is window.alert()

                <head>
                <title></title>
                <script type="text/javascript">
                function getLinks(protocol)
                {
                var msg = ''
                var max = document.links.length
                for (var i = 0;i < max;i++)
                {
                if(document.links[i].protocol == protocol)
                {
                if(msg !== '')
                {msg += '\n'}
                msg += document.links[i].href;
                }
                }
                alert(msg)
                }
                </script>

                </head>
              • Lotta
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 26, 2001
                  Grant,

                  you wrote:
                  >I managed to replicate your error.I think if you ra
                  >the clip again the error would disappear

                  Nope.

                  >Of course this is a timing thing. Write to disk read then read from disk.

                  That sounds very plausible. I'm on a slow machine.

                  >I'll rewrite it with a delay loop so hopefully this won't happen.

                  Great. I was thinking your script could probably be handy to check if
                  bookmarks or any URL lists are still valid.

                  Lotta
                • Lotta
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 26, 2001
                    Hallo!

                    Anyone alive out there?

                    I'm wondering if someone knows if w3c has plans on implementing Microsoft's
                    CSS filters? I know MS has proposed them as an addition to the specs, but I
                    haven't found anything about w3c's view on this. I've grown a little
                    infatuated with some of them but it feels pointless to learn how to handle
                    them if they will never be part of the standard.

                    Bye,
                    Lotta
                  • Grant
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 30, 2001
                      > Anyone alive out there?
                      >
                      > I'm wondering if someone knows if w3c has plans on implementing
                      > Microsoft's
                      > CSS filters? I know MS has proposed them as an addition to the
                      > specs, but I
                      > haven't found anything about w3c's view on this. I've grown a little
                      > infatuated with some of them but it feels pointless to learn how
                      > to handle
                      > them if they will never be part of the standard.

                      Hi lottta
                      IMHO
                      I think what we as web developers should be aiming for is a cleaner
                      separation of the structure of a document from it's presentation.
                      The meaning of a document ought to be derived from it's structure. This is I
                      think is the main thrust of the W3C recommendations.
                      So keep document structurally clean "fonts " are positively bad.
                      However css ''filters' although not part of the W3C css2 recommendations are
                      not evil like font's are.
                      They are just a 'presentational gimmick', so if you leave the filter out or
                      in, the structural intent of the document will not be altered. A filter
                      doesn't stop a heading from being a heading it just adds a 'glow' or a
                      'shadow' etc. I wouldn't feel guilty about using them.

                      How ever don't expect ns6 to support the 'filters' and I wish ie would put
                      more effort into standards compliance especially better DOM css2 html4
                      compliance instead of giving us added presentational extras like colored
                      scrollbars, filters etc. I think ie6 is finally going to support 'optgroup'
                      .. how long has the html4 recommendation been out...my golly gosh, don't
                      they work fast and furious in ensuring their browser is W3C compliant .
                    • Lotta
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 30, 2001
                        Hi Grant,

                        Sorry, was that re my question? You have lost me. As far as I know the
                        whole CSS concept is about presentation and all of it can be left out
                        without altering the structural intent. What's your point? I don't follow.

                        Lotta
                      • Stephen
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 30, 2001
                          Good Evening Lotta,
                          (least that's what it is here)
                          I think Grant means that no, Netscape probably won't do thd CSS filter
                          thing, and the W3C is probably not going to even think about it.
                          I had not heard of them, but figured they are similiar to the IE
                          transitions that were big about a year ago. (Kind of cool but kind of
                          disgusting too is my not too humble opinion)
                          In the CSS2 stantard there is a text-shadow property. I've tried it on
                          every browser and does not look like anyone supports it, not Explorer,
                          not Netscape 6, not Opera and not Lynx 8-}
                          (just had to voice something on this trhead)
                          Stephen

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 1, 2001
                            > Sorry, was that re my question? You have lost me. As far as I know the
                            > whole CSS concept is about presentation and all of it can be left out
                            > without altering the structural intent. What's your point? I don't follow.

                            Yeah I don't follow myself sometimes. It was just a small rave.
                            I think I'm better at solving problems than explaining things.;)

                            Anyways
                            I've just built a webified version of the checkLinks library I posted
                            earlier.
                            http://www.markup.co.nz/validate/checkLinks.htm

                            Unlike the notetab library version you have to make an a security adjustment
                            to allow data access across domains for it to work.
                            It also relies on a regular expression to extract the http links from
                            fetched entered url text instead of the method used in library.
                            Tested on ie5.5+ although should work in ns6+ when support for request
                            object is built in as it is in the latest moz builds
                            If it seems to hang , just wait around a little and the results will pop up.
                            I checked on a page with about 42 http linked and it took about 3 minutes on
                            my slow connection.

                            It works by instantiating the httpRquest object
                            Fetching the html text of the url entered.
                            Uses reg exp to extract URLs and puts regExp results into result array.
                            Each URL in array is then requested using http request then the url with the
                            response status text is written into the report box.

                            All this is done on the client with no server side script.
                          • Lotta
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 1, 2001
                              Hi Grant,

                              > Yeah I don't follow myself sometimes. It was just a small rave.

                              I see. The fact that someone could like something not yet implemented in
                              the standard got you going, huh? <g>
                              *hint* Me neither likes the glowing edges . But I do like the alpha and
                              maybe one or two more.