checkLinks

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 22, 2001
      Here is a handy utility to overcome the ever present webmasters nightmare
      'link rot'
      www.markup.co.nz/validate/checkLinks.zip
      Contains a single clb file add to library folder in Notetabs application
      pathway.

      It works on two levels
      1; It is a simple link checker which first verifies if relative anchor links
      are contained in a baseDir root.
      2;It then verifies http anchor links.
      It instantiates the ms httpRequest object to GET the response text for the
      requested URL. This of course requires you to be connected to the net as it
      sends http requests. This request process works quite fast even on my slow
      connection for you are not loading the requested page but just fetching the
      servers response header.

      It works with an html document opened in Notetab and requires ie5 installed
      and wsh enabled Which it should be by default unless you have purposely
      disabled it.)

      I have found the link checker works quite well. And have been quite
      surprised how many of my http links have link rot.
      Try it on your html links page.

      Let me now what you think and what improvement can be made.
      contact at.
      grant@...

      When I've got time l will the make the linkChecker weave through a site from
      the default page at the baseDir and find orphaned files, report on things
      like file size, lastupdated and any thing else I think might be helpful.