How do I make my browser view HTML?

  • jrlordjr@cs.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 28, 2001
      I am playing with making my own web page. I have NoteTabLight.
      Sometimes when I click on "view in browser," it will show my HTML
      document as a web page, but other times all I see in the browser is
      just more HTML text. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Richard
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 28, 2001
        Hi Richard,

        >I am playing with making my own web page. I have NoteTabLight.
        >Sometimes when I click on "view in browser," it will show my HTML
        >document as a web page, but other times all I see in the browser is
        >just more HTML text

        Most probable is that you haven't saved your document yet and it's named
        NoName01.txt. Or you have saved it but with the wrong extension. Since the
        browser is capable of displaying text it will, and then it doesn't
        interpret the HTML but print it "as is".

        Hope it works,
        Lotta
      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 28, 2001
          usually if it is showing the text and you check the file name it is .txt I
          bet
          if you have the file named .html or .htm it should show as a web page
          in your browser unless you are missing tags (ie <html> to start on the
          first line).

          ---
          Don Passenger
          > I am playing with making my own web page. I have NoteTabLight.
          > Sometimes when I click on "view in browser," it will show my HTML
          > document as a web page, but other times all I see in the browser is
          > just more HTML text. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Richard

        • Rudolf Horbas
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 29, 2001
            Don, Richard,

            the <HTML>-tag is not necessary to show files with .htm* in MSIE or
            NN (I just checked).
            This is handy for quick evaluation, and the W3C says that <HEAD>,
            <HTML> and <BODY> are optional tags
            (http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/struct/global.html#h-7.4)

            (I'd still recommend them in published documents)

            Rudi

            From: "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@...>

            > usually if it is showing the text and you check the file name it is
            .txt I
            > bet
            > if you have the file named .html or .htm it should show as a web
            page
            > in your browser unless you are missing tags (ie <html> to start on
            the
            > first line).

            > > I am playing with making my own web page. I have NoteTabLight.
            > > Sometimes when I click on "view in browser," it will show my HTML
            > > document as a web page, but other times all I see in the browser
            is
            > > just more HTML text. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Richard
          • Stephen
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 29, 2001
              Rudolf Horbas wrote:

              > Don, Richard,
              >
              > the <HTML>-tag is not necessary to show files with .htm* in MSIE or
              > NN (I just checked).
              > This is handy for quick evaluation, and the W3C says that <HEAD>,
              > <HTML> and <BODY> are optional tags
              > (http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/struct/global.html#h-7.4)

              May I caution you to keep the <html> </html> tags even for quickies in
              MSIE. Push reload and it all goes awry for me. (Try it yourself, it's
              kind of fun to watch. Take any html document, mispell the <html> tag
              :<nothtml> and see what happens.)
              Stephen
            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 29, 2001
                Hello,

                Stephen wrote:
                > Push reload and it all goes awry for me. (Try it yourself, it's
                >kind of fun to watch. Take any html document, mispell the <html> tag
                >:<nothtml> and see what happens.)

                Just curious, what version do you use? My IE 5 couldn't care less if I omit
                or misspell HTML, HEAD and BODY. Nor do my other browsers. But I agree, by
                all means use them.

                BTW do others have problems receiving list posts? Mine are hold back some
                hours and then they all come in a big bunch.

                Guten abend,
                Lotta
              • Rudolf Horbas
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 30, 2001
                  Stephen, Lotta,

                  >> Rudolf Horbas wrote:
                  > > the <HTML>-tag is not necessary to show files with .htm* in MSIE
                  or
                  > > NN (I just checked).
                  > > This is handy for quick evaluation, and the W3C says that <HEAD>,
                  > > <HTML> and <BODY> are optional tags
                  > > (http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/struct/global.html#h-7.4)
                  > >

                  > Stephen:
                  > May I caution you to keep the <html> </html> tags even for quickies
                  in
                  > MSIE. Push reload and it all goes awry for me. (Try it yourself,
                  it's
                  > kind of fun to watch. Take any html document, mispell the <html>
                  tag
                  > :<nothtml> and see what happens.)

                  No problems here, neither in IE 5.5 & 4.0 nor NN 4.73 & 4.74 nor
                  Opera 5, even after reload. Tidy doesn't mind, either (only wants the
                  <TITLE>-tag, as this is a required tag in HTML).

                  As I mentioned, I'd do this for quick evaluation on my machine only,
                  but not publish a file without a proper set of tags. Yet that's just
                  my discipline and not required by the standard. (see W3 link above)
                  ---------
                  >Lotta:
                  >Just curious, what version do you use? My IE 5 couldn't care less if
                  I omit
                  >or misspell HTML, HEAD and BODY. Nor do my other browsers. But I
                  agree, by
                  >all means use them.

                  My NN 4.74 <EM>does</EM> care about e.g. <HTMX> (shows nothing),
                  while IE 5.5 doesn't give a hoot.

                  >BTW do others have problems receiving list posts? Mine are hold back
                  some
                  >hours and then they all come in a big bunch.

                  Some of mine are "held back", while some are posted immediately. A
                  bit confusing.

                  Einen schönen Tag noch :-)

                  Rudi
                • Lotta
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 30, 2001
                    Rudi & Stephen,

                    >My NN 4.74 <EM>does</EM> care about e.g. <HTMX> (shows nothing),

                    NN 4.5. Should I upgrade? <G> Boy, to get these really important things
                    sorted out sure feels good <VBG>

                    Lotta
                  • Stephen
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 30, 2001
                      HI it is version IEr5.0
                      Wierd, it won't do it now.
                      Wonder if it is a Windows setting. I've been playing as much as I dare
                      with my configuration, getting rid of what I think is unnecessary junk,
                      trying to streamline a bloated registry and that kind of thing and maybe
                      I got rid of a plugin that used to do it.
                      Oh well never mind.

                      Lotta wrote:

                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > Stephen wrote:
                      > > Push reload and it all goes awry for me. (Try it yourself, it's
                      > >kind of fun to watch. Take any html document, mispell the <html> tag
                      > >:<nothtml> and see what happens.)
                      >
                      > Just curious, what version do you use? My IE 5 couldn't care less if I omit
                      > or misspell HTML, HEAD and BODY. Nor do my other browsers. But I agree, by
                      > all means use them.
                      >
                      > BTW do others have problems receiving list posts? Mine are hold back some
                      > hours and then they all come in a big bunch.
                      >
                      > Guten abend,
                      > Lotta

                    • Rudolf Horbas
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 31, 2001
                        Lotta & the rest,

                        > >My NN 4.74 <EM>does</EM> care about e.g. <HTMX> (shows nothing),
                        >
                        > NN 4.5. Should I upgrade? <G> Boy, to get these really important
                        things
                        > sorted out sure feels good <VBG>

                        This way ge get some life back to the html-list :-) . It's been
                        pretty quiet for a while.

                        Too bad I'll be off for skiing for a couple days. In the meantime,
                        maybe something <STRONG>really</STRONG> important happens here.

                        See Youse then,

                        Rudi