Re: [NH] Need help with HTML form

  • Rudolf Horbas
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 28 2:27 AM
      >>Rudi:
      > > Have You ever heard about this phenomenon? Did I make a glitch,
      or
      > > could it happen in certain configurations?

      Grant:
      > The problem with using mailto is with some email clients.
      > Some email clients do not transfer the form data to the email body.

      That seems to be exactly the problem.

      It looks like a HTML-only solution is not possible. Phooey! But in
      the long run, we'll go for cgi, anyway, because we'd like to have the
      quiz evaluated right away.

      Thanks,

      Rudi
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 28 6:05 AM
        Rudolf,

        > >Wonder why the users send a message if they can
        > > see that it's empty???

        >Because they're stupid :-)))

        Watch it. . . I'm a user most of the time. ;-)

        >No, I guess they just don't see the mail
        >(Outlook Express sends them immediately, and Netscape doesn't even
        >show them in the outbox. And they just think everything's ok and
        >taken care of (as it should be).

        Maybe I've never filled in a mailto form. I couldn't resist so I filled in
        yours. Dora gave me several warnings and the option to see the text before
        it was sent. Good Dora. Is 2_1=1119 and 2_2=1107 right?

        >I'm afraid that won't do. German users generally disapprove of spam,
        >and MDs are probably even more negative. Right now, we've decided to
        >provide a pdf to print and send by snail, until we can provide a
        >reliable cgi-based solution. We're dreaming of a script that also
        >evaluates the form for us ...

        No, no. The users won't get a single email. You will get maybe a newsletter
        a week or nothing at all and the forms sent to you will maybe have a few
        lines added to them. Nothing worse than that.

        Do you have access to CGI on your server? If so why don't you install a
        script? BNBForm is a mainly copy and paste one. Even I got it to work in
        less than an hour, you'll fix it in half that time.
        http://www.bignosebird.com/cgi.shtml. Or is the problem that you don't have
        CGI? PDF, tsssssss. :-)

        Lotta
      • thefrank
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 28 7:49 AM
          Hi Rudi,

          >in the long run, we'll go for cgi, anyway, because we'd like to have
          the quiz evaluated right away.

          If your web servers have PHP or will let you load PHP, you may want
          to consider a simpler alternative to CGI. Usually delivers faster too.

          regards,

          tf
        • Rudolf Horbas
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 29 1:06 AM
            Lotta,

            > > >Wonder why the users send a message if they can
            > > > see that it's empty???
            >
            > >Because they're stupid :-)))
            >
            > Watch it. . . I'm a user most of the time. ;-)

            Aaargh! I didn't mean it like that! Just mocking the arrogance of
            geeks :-)

            > Maybe I've never filled in a mailto form. I couldn't resist so I
            filled in
            > yours. Dora gave me several warnings and the option to see the text
            before
            > it was sent. Good Dora. Is 2_1=1119 and 2_2=1107 right?

            U-huh. I couldn't use true/false as values (would have made cheating
            easy), so I used numeric 6 different values that are assigned to
            true/false. Kind of dumb. In a script, there will probably be a hash
            file with something like
            2_1=clicked true
            2_2=clicked false

            > No, no. The users won't get a single email. You will get maybe a
            newsletter
            > a week or nothing at all and the forms sent to you will maybe have
            a few
            > lines added to them. Nothing worse than that.

            Hmm. This doesn't sound bad. I don't mind getting spammed a bit; I
            just wouldn't want to have the users bothered.

            > Do you have access to CGI on your server? If so why don't you
            install a
            > script?

            Yes, we have CGI access. And there definitely will be a script, after
            the bad experience with the HTML form mail.

            > BNBForm is a mainly copy and paste one. Even I got it to work in
            > less than an hour, you'll fix it in half that time.

            Uhmm, that sets a high standard (sweat!). I just d'loaded BNBForm,
            but I also got loads of other form2mail-scripts. I was gonna install
            them, but then developped the ambition to come up with an all-in-one
            solution (form evaluation), and decided to go for the simplest
            solution first.

            > PDF, tsssssss. :-)

            (blush) Well, er ... an even simpler solution

            Rudi