Re: [NH] Need help with HTML form

  • Lotta
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 27, 2001
      Hi Rudolf,

      >The form seemed to work o.k., but every 2 or three feedbacks we get
      >empty mails (just mails with a header, but no content, see example
      >below), although the senders, after inquiry, confirm to have filled
      >the form completely.

      I don't know from own experience but I've read warnings against using
      mailto often enough. If I remember right posts are sometimes lost in cyber
      space and sometimes the email client is brought up empty. Something to do
      with user configuration. Wonder why the users send a message if they can
      see that it's empty???

      If you don't want to bother with CGI you could perhaps use some remotely
      hosted service if you can stand a little spam. I've tried a couple and it
      worked well.

      Lotta
    • Rudolf Horbas
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 28, 2001
        Hi Lotta,

        >>Rudi:
        > >... every 2 or three feedbacks we get
        > >empty mails ...

        >Lotta:
        > I don't know from own experience but I've read warnings against
        using
        > mailto often enough. If I remember right posts are sometimes lost
        in cyber
        > space and sometimes the email client is brought up empty. Something
        to do
        > with user configuration.

        That seems to be precisely the problem we are facing. Pity I didn't
        come across those warnings before :-(

        >Wonder why the users send a message if they can
        > see that it's empty???

        Because they're stupid :-))) No, I guess they just don't see the mail
        (Outlook Express sends them immediately, and Netscape doesn't even
        show them in the outbox. And they just think everything's ok and
        taken care of (as it should be).

        > If you don't want to bother with CGI you could perhaps use some
        remotely
        > hosted service if you can stand a little spam. I've tried a couple
        and it
        > worked well.

        I'm afraid that won't do. German users generally disapprove of spam,
        and MDs are probably even more negative. Right now, we've decided to
        provide a pdf to print and send by snail, until we can provide a
        reliable cgi-based solution. We're dreaming of a script that also
        evaluates the form for us ...

        Thanks for Your time,

        Rudi
      • Rudolf Horbas
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 28, 2001
          >>Rudi:
          > > Have You ever heard about this phenomenon? Did I make a glitch,
          or
          > > could it happen in certain configurations?

          Grant:
          > The problem with using mailto is with some email clients.
          > Some email clients do not transfer the form data to the email body.

          That seems to be exactly the problem.

          It looks like a HTML-only solution is not possible. Phooey! But in
          the long run, we'll go for cgi, anyway, because we'd like to have the
          quiz evaluated right away.

          Thanks,

          Rudi
        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 28, 2001
            Rudolf,

            > >Wonder why the users send a message if they can
            > > see that it's empty???

            >Because they're stupid :-)))

            Watch it. . . I'm a user most of the time. ;-)

            >No, I guess they just don't see the mail
            >(Outlook Express sends them immediately, and Netscape doesn't even
            >show them in the outbox. And they just think everything's ok and
            >taken care of (as it should be).

            Maybe I've never filled in a mailto form. I couldn't resist so I filled in
            yours. Dora gave me several warnings and the option to see the text before
            it was sent. Good Dora. Is 2_1=1119 and 2_2=1107 right?

            >I'm afraid that won't do. German users generally disapprove of spam,
            >and MDs are probably even more negative. Right now, we've decided to
            >provide a pdf to print and send by snail, until we can provide a
            >reliable cgi-based solution. We're dreaming of a script that also
            >evaluates the form for us ...

            No, no. The users won't get a single email. You will get maybe a newsletter
            a week or nothing at all and the forms sent to you will maybe have a few
            lines added to them. Nothing worse than that.

            Do you have access to CGI on your server? If so why don't you install a
            script? BNBForm is a mainly copy and paste one. Even I got it to work in
            less than an hour, you'll fix it in half that time.
            http://www.bignosebird.com/cgi.shtml. Or is the problem that you don't have
            CGI? PDF, tsssssss. :-)

            Lotta
          • thefrank
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 28, 2001
              Hi Rudi,

              >in the long run, we'll go for cgi, anyway, because we'd like to have
              the quiz evaluated right away.

              If your web servers have PHP or will let you load PHP, you may want
              to consider a simpler alternative to CGI. Usually delivers faster too.

              regards,

              tf
            • Rudolf Horbas
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 29, 2001
                Lotta,

                > > >Wonder why the users send a message if they can
                > > > see that it's empty???
                >
                > >Because they're stupid :-)))
                >
                > Watch it. . . I'm a user most of the time. ;-)

                Aaargh! I didn't mean it like that! Just mocking the arrogance of
                geeks :-)

                > Maybe I've never filled in a mailto form. I couldn't resist so I
                filled in
                > yours. Dora gave me several warnings and the option to see the text
                before
                > it was sent. Good Dora. Is 2_1=1119 and 2_2=1107 right?

                U-huh. I couldn't use true/false as values (would have made cheating
                easy), so I used numeric 6 different values that are assigned to
                true/false. Kind of dumb. In a script, there will probably be a hash
                file with something like
                2_1=clicked true
                2_2=clicked false

                > No, no. The users won't get a single email. You will get maybe a
                newsletter
                > a week or nothing at all and the forms sent to you will maybe have
                a few
                > lines added to them. Nothing worse than that.

                Hmm. This doesn't sound bad. I don't mind getting spammed a bit; I
                just wouldn't want to have the users bothered.

                > Do you have access to CGI on your server? If so why don't you
                install a
                > script?

                Yes, we have CGI access. And there definitely will be a script, after
                the bad experience with the HTML form mail.

                > BNBForm is a mainly copy and paste one. Even I got it to work in
                > less than an hour, you'll fix it in half that time.

                Uhmm, that sets a high standard (sweat!). I just d'loaded BNBForm,
                but I also got loads of other form2mail-scripts. I was gonna install
                them, but then developped the ambition to come up with an all-in-one
                solution (form evaluation), and decided to go for the simplest
                solution first.

                > PDF, tsssssss. :-)

                (blush) Well, er ... an even simpler solution

                Rudi