Re: Need help with HTML form

  • thefrank
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 27, 2001
      Hi Rudi,

      From W3C:
      "The content type "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" is inefficient
      for sending large quantities of binary data or text containing non-
      ASCII characters. The content type "multipart/form-data" should be
      used for submitting forms that contain files, non-ASCII data, and
      binary data." --http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/interact/forms.html

      I wonder if, occasionally, some submitters are sending content
      including non ASCII characters?

      regards,

      tf
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 27, 2001
        Hi Rudolf,

        >The form seemed to work o.k., but every 2 or three feedbacks we get
        >empty mails (just mails with a header, but no content, see example
        >below), although the senders, after inquiry, confirm to have filled
        >the form completely.

        I don't know from own experience but I've read warnings against using
        mailto often enough. If I remember right posts are sometimes lost in cyber
        space and sometimes the email client is brought up empty. Something to do
        with user configuration. Wonder why the users send a message if they can
        see that it's empty???

        If you don't want to bother with CGI you could perhaps use some remotely
        hosted service if you can stand a little spam. I've tried a couple and it
        worked well.

        Lotta
      • Grant
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 27, 2001
          > Have You ever heard about this phenomenon? Did I make a glitch, or
          > could it happen in certain configurations?
          The problem with using mailto is with some email clients.
          Some email clients do not transfer the form data to the email body.
          There are plenty of server side alternatives which send email directly. Most
          isps already have these components/scripts installed.
          With Nt servers for instance you can use cdonts or some other isp provides
          com object. Just ask your isp.
        • David Paterson
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 27, 2001
            formmail.pl is a CGI script supported on every ISP that I have encontered.
            Very easy to configure.

            > Have You ever heard about this phenomenon? Did I make a glitch, or
            > could it happen in certain configurations?
            The problem with using mailto is with some email clients.
            Some email clients do not transfer the form data to the email body.
            There are plenty of server side alternatives which send email directly. Most
            isps already have these components/scripts installed.
            With Nt servers for instance you can use cdonts or some other isp provides
            com object. Just ask your isp.

          • Rudolf Horbas
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 28, 2001
              Hi Lotta,

              >>Rudi:
              > >... every 2 or three feedbacks we get
              > >empty mails ...

              >Lotta:
              > I don't know from own experience but I've read warnings against
              using
              > mailto often enough. If I remember right posts are sometimes lost
              in cyber
              > space and sometimes the email client is brought up empty. Something
              to do
              > with user configuration.

              That seems to be precisely the problem we are facing. Pity I didn't
              come across those warnings before :-(

              >Wonder why the users send a message if they can
              > see that it's empty???

              Because they're stupid :-))) No, I guess they just don't see the mail
              (Outlook Express sends them immediately, and Netscape doesn't even
              show them in the outbox. And they just think everything's ok and
              taken care of (as it should be).

              > If you don't want to bother with CGI you could perhaps use some
              remotely
              > hosted service if you can stand a little spam. I've tried a couple
              and it
              > worked well.

              I'm afraid that won't do. German users generally disapprove of spam,
              and MDs are probably even more negative. Right now, we've decided to
              provide a pdf to print and send by snail, until we can provide a
              reliable cgi-based solution. We're dreaming of a script that also
              evaluates the form for us ...

              Thanks for Your time,

              Rudi
            • Rudolf Horbas
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 28, 2001
                >>Rudi:
                > > Have You ever heard about this phenomenon? Did I make a glitch,
                or
                > > could it happen in certain configurations?

                Grant:
                > The problem with using mailto is with some email clients.
                > Some email clients do not transfer the form data to the email body.

                That seems to be exactly the problem.

                It looks like a HTML-only solution is not possible. Phooey! But in
                the long run, we'll go for cgi, anyway, because we'd like to have the
                quiz evaluated right away.

                Thanks,

                Rudi
              • Lotta
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 28, 2001
                  Rudolf,

                  > >Wonder why the users send a message if they can
                  > > see that it's empty???

                  >Because they're stupid :-)))

                  Watch it. . . I'm a user most of the time. ;-)

                  >No, I guess they just don't see the mail
                  >(Outlook Express sends them immediately, and Netscape doesn't even
                  >show them in the outbox. And they just think everything's ok and
                  >taken care of (as it should be).

                  Maybe I've never filled in a mailto form. I couldn't resist so I filled in
                  yours. Dora gave me several warnings and the option to see the text before
                  it was sent. Good Dora. Is 2_1=1119 and 2_2=1107 right?

                  >I'm afraid that won't do. German users generally disapprove of spam,
                  >and MDs are probably even more negative. Right now, we've decided to
                  >provide a pdf to print and send by snail, until we can provide a
                  >reliable cgi-based solution. We're dreaming of a script that also
                  >evaluates the form for us ...

                  No, no. The users won't get a single email. You will get maybe a newsletter
                  a week or nothing at all and the forms sent to you will maybe have a few
                  lines added to them. Nothing worse than that.

                  Do you have access to CGI on your server? If so why don't you install a
                  script? BNBForm is a mainly copy and paste one. Even I got it to work in
                  less than an hour, you'll fix it in half that time.
                  http://www.bignosebird.com/cgi.shtml. Or is the problem that you don't have
                  CGI? PDF, tsssssss. :-)

                  Lotta
                • thefrank
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 28, 2001
                    Hi Rudi,

                    >in the long run, we'll go for cgi, anyway, because we'd like to have
                    the quiz evaluated right away.

                    If your web servers have PHP or will let you load PHP, you may want
                    to consider a simpler alternative to CGI. Usually delivers faster too.

                    regards,

                    tf
                  • Rudolf Horbas
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 29, 2001
                      Lotta,

                      > > >Wonder why the users send a message if they can
                      > > > see that it's empty???
                      >
                      > >Because they're stupid :-)))
                      >
                      > Watch it. . . I'm a user most of the time. ;-)

                      Aaargh! I didn't mean it like that! Just mocking the arrogance of
                      geeks :-)

                      > Maybe I've never filled in a mailto form. I couldn't resist so I
                      filled in
                      > yours. Dora gave me several warnings and the option to see the text
                      before
                      > it was sent. Good Dora. Is 2_1=1119 and 2_2=1107 right?

                      U-huh. I couldn't use true/false as values (would have made cheating
                      easy), so I used numeric 6 different values that are assigned to
                      true/false. Kind of dumb. In a script, there will probably be a hash
                      file with something like
                      2_1=clicked true
                      2_2=clicked false

                      > No, no. The users won't get a single email. You will get maybe a
                      newsletter
                      > a week or nothing at all and the forms sent to you will maybe have
                      a few
                      > lines added to them. Nothing worse than that.

                      Hmm. This doesn't sound bad. I don't mind getting spammed a bit; I
                      just wouldn't want to have the users bothered.

                      > Do you have access to CGI on your server? If so why don't you
                      install a
                      > script?

                      Yes, we have CGI access. And there definitely will be a script, after
                      the bad experience with the HTML form mail.

                      > BNBForm is a mainly copy and paste one. Even I got it to work in
                      > less than an hour, you'll fix it in half that time.

                      Uhmm, that sets a high standard (sweat!). I just d'loaded BNBForm,
                      but I also got loads of other form2mail-scripts. I was gonna install
                      them, but then developped the ambition to come up with an all-in-one
                      solution (form evaluation), and decided to go for the simplest
                      solution first.

                      > PDF, tsssssss. :-)

                      (blush) Well, er ... an even simpler solution

                      Rudi