Re: Need help to test FTP component

  • thefrank
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23, 2001
      Hi Eric,

      I downloaded and installed AE beta to test FTP utility.

      I upload to Apache webservers configured for virtual hosts. I usually
      use WS_FTP, so that is the interface I am familiar with.

      It took me about half an hour to learn exactly how to use the FTP
      utility included with AE beta. The method I usually use (and did in
      this case) is to try to intuit how from the interface, at least a few
      tries, and if unsucessful then try to understand the help docs. I am
      thinking most *consumer* users operate this way, so I try to design
      interfaces that make the help docs auxillary rather than essential.

      I believe this is your goal as well, judging from your work which I
      have followed for awhile. I like your straightforward interfaces, and
      your *signature* tab method (notice which way the web is going...).

      My suggestions regard (Tab 4) HTML folder and Media folder:

      These were the most confusing to me. It took a few tries to determine
      that these need full paths entered, especially when using a UserID
      and password assigned to someone for folder access way down from the
      root (WS_FTP allows to use root IP for HostName, then ID and pw for
      anyone with some access, and then opens to the folder they have
      access to. I could not get the AE FTP utility to do this.).

      That being the case, I believe it would work better to have each on
      its own line (row) with a full-width textbox (e.g. Profile name).

      If the above is used, I would go ahead and use the extra label width
      to clarify their use, e.g.:

      Remote HTML folder (full path required)

      Remote Media folder (full path required)

      I would then add appropriate notes to Help docs with examples:

      Remote HTML folder: Full path required, for example:
      /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/butterflies/album

      Remote Media folder: Full path required, for example:
      /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/butterflies/album/images

      It would also be helpful to add the above to the Information Panel
      content for Tab 4 (when FTP is active).

      I hope this helps.

      Regards,

      tf