Need help to test FTP component

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23, 2001
      Hi everyone,

      I'm putting the final touches to my next Album Express release. The beta
      version has a new FTP component in it, which is used to upload files to a
      remote host. I've only got a few more days left to test this and hope some
      of you might be interested to help me.

      The current beta release (#8) is very stable. You can download it from the
      following page:

      http://www.fookes.com/album/beta.htm

      The FTP component becomes available once you have built an album. It is
      displayed on tab #4.

      Eric G.V. Fookes

    • thefrank
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 23, 2001
        Hi Eric,

        I downloaded and installed AE beta to test FTP utility.

        I upload to Apache webservers configured for virtual hosts. I usually
        use WS_FTP, so that is the interface I am familiar with.

        It took me about half an hour to learn exactly how to use the FTP
        utility included with AE beta. The method I usually use (and did in
        this case) is to try to intuit how from the interface, at least a few
        tries, and if unsucessful then try to understand the help docs. I am
        thinking most *consumer* users operate this way, so I try to design
        interfaces that make the help docs auxillary rather than essential.

        I believe this is your goal as well, judging from your work which I
        have followed for awhile. I like your straightforward interfaces, and
        your *signature* tab method (notice which way the web is going...).

        My suggestions regard (Tab 4) HTML folder and Media folder:

        These were the most confusing to me. It took a few tries to determine
        that these need full paths entered, especially when using a UserID
        and password assigned to someone for folder access way down from the
        root (WS_FTP allows to use root IP for HostName, then ID and pw for
        anyone with some access, and then opens to the folder they have
        access to. I could not get the AE FTP utility to do this.).

        That being the case, I believe it would work better to have each on
        its own line (row) with a full-width textbox (e.g. Profile name).

        If the above is used, I would go ahead and use the extra label width
        to clarify their use, e.g.:

        Remote HTML folder (full path required)

        Remote Media folder (full path required)

        I would then add appropriate notes to Help docs with examples:

        Remote HTML folder: Full path required, for example:
        /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/butterflies/album

        Remote Media folder: Full path required, for example:
        /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/butterflies/album/images

        It would also be helpful to add the above to the Information Panel
        content for Tab 4 (when FTP is active).

        I hope this helps.

        Regards,

        tf