(Semi-OT) Storyboard site planner?

  • Mike McCallister
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 2001
      >Greetings all!

      This is my maiden post. I've been using NoteTab for awhile now, but am just
      starting to use it as a web editor. I'm reading Laura Lemay's "Teach
      Yourself Web Publishing" to regain some of my rusty HTML coding skills. She
      suggests using some sort of storyboard to plan a site. I'm wondering if
      there's a decent free/cheap app that can help me to visualize how my site
      should look?

      If you don't know of any specific app, how did you plan your site? All
      ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!

      Mike McCallister ProTek Writing Services
      workingwriter@... "Translation from the Geek a specialty"
      Phone: (303) 554-7533 Fax: (248) 282-0532
    • psteeper@ns.sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 8, 2001
        Hi Mike,
        When I plan a site I like to create an Outline in MS-Word. In Notetab
        you can create outlines but I like Word better for this purpose.
        I use the Outline view in Word as I can create several levels, move
        the levels around, click to open or close and add descriptions. Of
        course you print it out to present to your clients.
        Using this it is easy to plan the menu structure and navigation for
        your site.
        I use Illustrator to create the visual look of my pages. I can use
        the web pallette to choose safe colours and I can easily move items
        around the page until I'm satisfied with the results.
        Then I code in NoteTab.
        Thanks to Eric, Jody and group for an excellent product!

        Peter Steeper
        Halifax, Nova Scotia
        Canada
        www3.ns.sympatico.ca/psteeper
        www.velohalifax.ca

        ..suggests using some sort of storyboard to plan a site. I'm
        wondering if
        > there's a decent free/cheap app that can help me to visualize how
        my site
        > should look?
        >
        > If you don't know of any specific app, how did you plan your site?
        All
        > ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!
        >

        > Mike McCallister ProTek Writing Services
        > workingwriter@e... "Translation from the Geek a specialty"
        > Phone: (303) 554-7533 Fax: (248) 282-0532
      • Lynda H. Markwell
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2001
          > ..suggests using some sort of storyboard to plan a site. I'm
          > wondering if there's a decent free/cheap app that can help me to
          >visualize how my site should look?

          Here's a wonderful app that I've used for lots of different types of
          projects, from character-building to website project planning. It's
          called MindManager, and is based on a nonlinear thinking approach to
          problem solving. I've found the "lite" version, called eMindMaps, to
          be equally satisfying for brainstorming and working out flowcharts in
          website projects. MindManager is $119 for a single license (trial DL
          available), but eMindMap is only $30 for single license (but no trial
          DL). So try out MindManager (which includes mapping function), and if
          your brain clicks with this type of approach, then you can purchase
          whichever version suits your budget. From MindJet, both are available
          at http://www.mindmanager.com

          Lynda