RE: [NH] Re: Question

  • Britton, Stephen
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 2001
      > ASP certainly has the benefit of a large MS userbase and plenty of
      > help in terms of books, usergroups, and online tutorials. The
      > drawback is the platform and fairly expensive software apps to begin
      > to utilize the complete technology.

      >> No ASP is a Microsoft technology however to create asp pages all you need
      is
      >> a text editor.
      >> To test your pages on a server it pays to install one on your local
      system.
      >> If you have Win2k pro , the iis5 installation is an optional extra on
      the
      >> disk.
      >> iis personal web server is also available for free download at ms site
      for
      >> me 95 and 98.

      I don't want to start a war over server-side scripting technologies, but I
      have
      to agree that Microsoft's ASP is among the most expensive server
      technologies.
      A copy of Microsoft's Windows 2000 Server will set you back at least $495
      (educational
      price)and then you have to invest in some heavy duty hardware to get decent
      performance
      because the Windows 2000 Server is such a memory hog. In contrast, the
      license
      for a Unix style server using Linux or FreeBSD is $0, and the hardware
      requirements
      are much less than Windows. (Of course, the learning curve for Unix is much
      steeper than Windows, and if you consider the time it may take to learn
      Unix, then
      Windows might be cheaper.)

      I have also found that companies offering NT and Windows 2000 hosting
      services
      tend to be more expensive than hosts who use Linux and BSD. I have to work
      with both
      Windows and Unix and I personally prefer Unix hosting services because they
      seem to
      be more reliable, less expensive, and most offer PHP support, which is among
      my
      favorite scripting languages.

      - Steve
    • Mike McCallister
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 7, 2001
        >Greetings all!

        This is my maiden post. I've been using NoteTab for awhile now, but am just
        starting to use it as a web editor. I'm reading Laura Lemay's "Teach
        Yourself Web Publishing" to regain some of my rusty HTML coding skills. She
        suggests using some sort of storyboard to plan a site. I'm wondering if
        there's a decent free/cheap app that can help me to visualize how my site
        should look?

        If you don't know of any specific app, how did you plan your site? All
        ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!

        Mike McCallister ProTek Writing Services
        workingwriter@... "Translation from the Geek a specialty"
        Phone: (303) 554-7533 Fax: (248) 282-0532
      • psteeper@ns.sympatico.ca
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2001
          Hi Mike,
          When I plan a site I like to create an Outline in MS-Word. In Notetab
          you can create outlines but I like Word better for this purpose.
          I use the Outline view in Word as I can create several levels, move
          the levels around, click to open or close and add descriptions. Of
          course you print it out to present to your clients.
          Using this it is easy to plan the menu structure and navigation for
          your site.
          I use Illustrator to create the visual look of my pages. I can use
          the web pallette to choose safe colours and I can easily move items
          around the page until I'm satisfied with the results.
          Then I code in NoteTab.
          Thanks to Eric, Jody and group for an excellent product!

          Peter Steeper
          Halifax, Nova Scotia
          Canada
          www3.ns.sympatico.ca/psteeper
          www.velohalifax.ca

          ..suggests using some sort of storyboard to plan a site. I'm
          wondering if
          > there's a decent free/cheap app that can help me to visualize how
          my site
          > should look?
          >
          > If you don't know of any specific app, how did you plan your site?
          All
          > ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!
          >

          > Mike McCallister ProTek Writing Services
          > workingwriter@e... "Translation from the Geek a specialty"
          > Phone: (303) 554-7533 Fax: (248) 282-0532
        • Lynda H. Markwell
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2001
            > ..suggests using some sort of storyboard to plan a site. I'm
            > wondering if there's a decent free/cheap app that can help me to
            >visualize how my site should look?

            Here's a wonderful app that I've used for lots of different types of
            projects, from character-building to website project planning. It's
            called MindManager, and is based on a nonlinear thinking approach to
            problem solving. I've found the "lite" version, called eMindMaps, to
            be equally satisfying for brainstorming and working out flowcharts in
            website projects. MindManager is $119 for a single license (trial DL
            available), but eMindMap is only $30 for single license (but no trial
            DL). So try out MindManager (which includes mapping function), and if
            your brain clicks with this type of approach, then you can purchase
            whichever version suits your budget. From MindJet, both are available
            at http://www.mindmanager.com

            Lynda