RE: [NH] Re: Question

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2001
      > ASP certainly has the benefit of a large MS userbase and plenty of
      > help in terms of books, usergroups, and online tutorials. The
      > drawback is the platform and fairly expensive software apps to begin
      > to utilize the complete technology.

      No ASP is a Microsoft technology however to create asp pages all you need is
      a text editor.
      To test your pages on a server it pays to install one on your local system.
      If you have Win2k pro , the iis5 installation is an optional extra on the
      disk.
      iis personal web server is also available for free download at ms site for
      me 95 and 98.

      Notetab has a setting which allows your pages to be viewed via the local
      server
      view/options/html Files -- preview server-side , where you can set the local
      path to your web site and server name.
    • Britton, Stephen
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 7, 2001
        > ASP certainly has the benefit of a large MS userbase and plenty of
        > help in terms of books, usergroups, and online tutorials. The
        > drawback is the platform and fairly expensive software apps to begin
        > to utilize the complete technology.

        >> No ASP is a Microsoft technology however to create asp pages all you need
        is
        >> a text editor.
        >> To test your pages on a server it pays to install one on your local
        system.
        >> If you have Win2k pro , the iis5 installation is an optional extra on
        the
        >> disk.
        >> iis personal web server is also available for free download at ms site
        for
        >> me 95 and 98.

        I don't want to start a war over server-side scripting technologies, but I
        have
        to agree that Microsoft's ASP is among the most expensive server
        technologies.
        A copy of Microsoft's Windows 2000 Server will set you back at least $495
        (educational
        price)and then you have to invest in some heavy duty hardware to get decent
        performance
        because the Windows 2000 Server is such a memory hog. In contrast, the
        license
        for a Unix style server using Linux or FreeBSD is $0, and the hardware
        requirements
        are much less than Windows. (Of course, the learning curve for Unix is much
        steeper than Windows, and if you consider the time it may take to learn
        Unix, then
        Windows might be cheaper.)

        I have also found that companies offering NT and Windows 2000 hosting
        services
        tend to be more expensive than hosts who use Linux and BSD. I have to work
        with both
        Windows and Unix and I personally prefer Unix hosting services because they
        seem to
        be more reliable, less expensive, and most offer PHP support, which is among
        my
        favorite scripting languages.

        - Steve
      • Mike McCallister
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2001
          >Greetings all!

          This is my maiden post. I've been using NoteTab for awhile now, but am just
          starting to use it as a web editor. I'm reading Laura Lemay's "Teach
          Yourself Web Publishing" to regain some of my rusty HTML coding skills. She
          suggests using some sort of storyboard to plan a site. I'm wondering if
          there's a decent free/cheap app that can help me to visualize how my site
          should look?

          If you don't know of any specific app, how did you plan your site? All
          ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!

          Mike McCallister ProTek Writing Services
          workingwriter@... "Translation from the Geek a specialty"
          Phone: (303) 554-7533 Fax: (248) 282-0532
        • psteeper@ns.sympatico.ca
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2001
            Hi Mike,
            When I plan a site I like to create an Outline in MS-Word. In Notetab
            you can create outlines but I like Word better for this purpose.
            I use the Outline view in Word as I can create several levels, move
            the levels around, click to open or close and add descriptions. Of
            course you print it out to present to your clients.
            Using this it is easy to plan the menu structure and navigation for
            your site.
            I use Illustrator to create the visual look of my pages. I can use
            the web pallette to choose safe colours and I can easily move items
            around the page until I'm satisfied with the results.
            Then I code in NoteTab.
            Thanks to Eric, Jody and group for an excellent product!

            Peter Steeper
            Halifax, Nova Scotia
            Canada
            www3.ns.sympatico.ca/psteeper
            www.velohalifax.ca

            ..suggests using some sort of storyboard to plan a site. I'm
            wondering if
            > there's a decent free/cheap app that can help me to visualize how
            my site
            > should look?
            >
            > If you don't know of any specific app, how did you plan your site?
            All
            > ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!
            >

            > Mike McCallister ProTek Writing Services
            > workingwriter@e... "Translation from the Geek a specialty"
            > Phone: (303) 554-7533 Fax: (248) 282-0532
          • Lynda H. Markwell
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2001
              > ..suggests using some sort of storyboard to plan a site. I'm
              > wondering if there's a decent free/cheap app that can help me to
              >visualize how my site should look?

              Here's a wonderful app that I've used for lots of different types of
              projects, from character-building to website project planning. It's
              called MindManager, and is based on a nonlinear thinking approach to
              problem solving. I've found the "lite" version, called eMindMaps, to
              be equally satisfying for brainstorming and working out flowcharts in
              website projects. MindManager is $119 for a single license (trial DL
              available), but eMindMap is only $30 for single license (but no trial
              DL). So try out MindManager (which includes mapping function), and if
              your brain clicks with this type of approach, then you can purchase
              whichever version suits your budget. From MindJet, both are available
              at http://www.mindmanager.com

              Lynda