RE: [NH] Re: Question

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2001
      > ASP certainly has the benefit of a large MS userbase and plenty of
      > help in terms of books, usergroups, and online tutorials. The
      > drawback is the platform and fairly expensive software apps to begin
      > to utilize the complete technology.

      No ASP is a Microsoft technology however to create asp pages all you need is
      a text editor.
      To test your pages on a server it pays to install one on your local system.
      If you have Win2k pro , the iis5 installation is an optional extra on the
      disk.
      iis personal web server is also available for free download at ms site for
      me 95 and 98.

      Notetab has a setting which allows your pages to be viewed via the local
      server
      view/options/html Files -- preview server-side , where you can set the local
      path to your web site and server name.
    • thefrank
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
        Hi Rayburn,

        ASP certainly has the benefit of a large MS userbase and plenty of
        help in terms of books, usergroups, and online tutorials. The
        drawback is the platform and fairly expensive software apps to begin
        to utilize the complete technology.

        It is my understanding that ASP is cookie-based, and the ASP sites I
        have seen typically use URL passed variables which are difficult for
        engines to index.

        PHP may be installed on MS server platforms, but is usually installed
        on Unix, Apache, RedHat, etc. to take advantage of better features
        available with Unix. PHP does not require cookies when
        installed on Unix, although sessions may be run which will set
        cookies. The new (PHP) Zend optimizer actually compiles the script
        into C for even faster platform-generated HTML docs.

        My experience has been that PHP, when coded properly, delivers faster
        than ASP, although I may be noticing the difference between well-
        coded PHP and poorly-coded ASP. PHP works equally as well with
        MSAccess, Oracle, PostRes, MySQL, MSQL, and simple wrappers can be
        built to transpose content from one DB to another.

        www.php.net
        www.zend.com

        regards,

        tf
      • Britton, Stephen
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2001
          > ASP certainly has the benefit of a large MS userbase and plenty of
          > help in terms of books, usergroups, and online tutorials. The
          > drawback is the platform and fairly expensive software apps to begin
          > to utilize the complete technology.

          >> No ASP is a Microsoft technology however to create asp pages all you need
          is
          >> a text editor.
          >> To test your pages on a server it pays to install one on your local
          system.
          >> If you have Win2k pro , the iis5 installation is an optional extra on
          the
          >> disk.
          >> iis personal web server is also available for free download at ms site
          for
          >> me 95 and 98.

          I don't want to start a war over server-side scripting technologies, but I
          have
          to agree that Microsoft's ASP is among the most expensive server
          technologies.
          A copy of Microsoft's Windows 2000 Server will set you back at least $495
          (educational
          price)and then you have to invest in some heavy duty hardware to get decent
          performance
          because the Windows 2000 Server is such a memory hog. In contrast, the
          license
          for a Unix style server using Linux or FreeBSD is $0, and the hardware
          requirements
          are much less than Windows. (Of course, the learning curve for Unix is much
          steeper than Windows, and if you consider the time it may take to learn
          Unix, then
          Windows might be cheaper.)

          I have also found that companies offering NT and Windows 2000 hosting
          services
          tend to be more expensive than hosts who use Linux and BSD. I have to work
          with both
          Windows and Unix and I personally prefer Unix hosting services because they
          seem to
          be more reliable, less expensive, and most offer PHP support, which is among
          my
          favorite scripting languages.

          - Steve
        • Mike McCallister
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7, 2001
            >Greetings all!

            This is my maiden post. I've been using NoteTab for awhile now, but am just
            starting to use it as a web editor. I'm reading Laura Lemay's "Teach
            Yourself Web Publishing" to regain some of my rusty HTML coding skills. She
            suggests using some sort of storyboard to plan a site. I'm wondering if
            there's a decent free/cheap app that can help me to visualize how my site
            should look?

            If you don't know of any specific app, how did you plan your site? All
            ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!

            Mike McCallister ProTek Writing Services
            workingwriter@... "Translation from the Geek a specialty"
            Phone: (303) 554-7533 Fax: (248) 282-0532
          • psteeper@ns.sympatico.ca
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2001
              Hi Mike,
              When I plan a site I like to create an Outline in MS-Word. In Notetab
              you can create outlines but I like Word better for this purpose.
              I use the Outline view in Word as I can create several levels, move
              the levels around, click to open or close and add descriptions. Of
              course you print it out to present to your clients.
              Using this it is easy to plan the menu structure and navigation for
              your site.
              I use Illustrator to create the visual look of my pages. I can use
              the web pallette to choose safe colours and I can easily move items
              around the page until I'm satisfied with the results.
              Then I code in NoteTab.
              Thanks to Eric, Jody and group for an excellent product!

              Peter Steeper
              Halifax, Nova Scotia
              Canada
              www3.ns.sympatico.ca/psteeper
              www.velohalifax.ca

              ..suggests using some sort of storyboard to plan a site. I'm
              wondering if
              > there's a decent free/cheap app that can help me to visualize how
              my site
              > should look?
              >
              > If you don't know of any specific app, how did you plan your site?
              All
              > ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!
              >

              > Mike McCallister ProTek Writing Services
              > workingwriter@e... "Translation from the Geek a specialty"
              > Phone: (303) 554-7533 Fax: (248) 282-0532
            • Lynda H. Markwell
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 8, 2001
                > ..suggests using some sort of storyboard to plan a site. I'm
                > wondering if there's a decent free/cheap app that can help me to
                >visualize how my site should look?

                Here's a wonderful app that I've used for lots of different types of
                projects, from character-building to website project planning. It's
                called MindManager, and is based on a nonlinear thinking approach to
                problem solving. I've found the "lite" version, called eMindMaps, to
                be equally satisfying for brainstorming and working out flowcharts in
                website projects. MindManager is $119 for a single license (trial DL
                available), but eMindMap is only $30 for single license (but no trial
                DL). So try out MindManager (which includes mapping function), and if
                your brain clicks with this type of approach, then you can purchase
                whichever version suits your budget. From MindJet, both are available
                at http://www.mindmanager.com

                Lynda