RE: [NH] Question

  • Britton, Stephen
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2001
      Hi Rayburn,

      To answer your question - yes! NoteTab is an excellent editor for ASP.
      Depending on
      the complexity of the project, I'll alternate between Visual InterDev 6 and
      NoteTab
      Pro (I'll use NoteTab for the more difficult assignments because I prefer
      hand coding).
      And yes, I have found ASP to be good server-side technology... if you are
      dealing with
      Microsoft databases and servers. ASP is straightforward and there are a lot
      of good
      books on ASP and web sites to support you ( www.4guysfromrolla.com and
      www.asp101.com ).
      If you know even a little bit of Visual Basic, you'll be cranking out pages
      immediately.

      Other server-side technologies to consider are:

      Cold Fusion - Most people find CF easier to work with because it is tag
      based like HTML.
      Last year I worked on a Cold Fusion project and we were able to hire HTML
      programmers
      rather than more expensive ASP programmers and saved a lot of money. On the
      downside,
      CF isn't as extendable as ASP or other server-side languages like PHP and
      JSP.
      You can write custom tags for CF, but if you need to do that, I suggest
      using one of the
      other languages. CF is a good choice for basic shopping carts and forums.

      PHP - If the site is being hosted on an Apache server running on Unix, this
      is the way
      to go. Like ASP, this language is straightforward and works great with open
      source databases
      like MySQL and Postgres. It also does a great job handling forms. The
      language is
      based on Perl and C so the learning curve is greater than ASP, but it is
      well worth
      learning. On the downside, PHP is a shade slower than ASP, but other than
      that it's hard
      to find anything wrong with PHP. Check out www.phpbuilder.com to more
      information. WebMaster
      Base also has a good tutorial on setting up a web site based on PHP and the
      MySQL database
      www.webmaster.base

      JSP - Java Server Pages are the current big Kahuna of web applications. If
      you need to
      develop an large sophisticated application, say a web frontend for an Oracle
      database
      for an online brokerage firm, you would use JSP because it is very
      extendable. You are
      able to create custom Java servlets which can do anything you can imagine.
      It is also
      the fastest web language because you are dealing with compiled objects as
      opposed to
      scripting. On the downside, you need to know Java, which has a steep
      learning curve. I
      think Web Review is running a series on JSP at www.webreview.com

      To compete against Java Server Pages, Microsoft is slowly introducing C# for
      it's .NET
      program. As the name implies, the code is based on C and C++. I haven't
      tried it yet, but
      it is worth watching.

      Hope this helps. Gotta go back to work.

      - Steve