RE: [NH] Re: Question

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2001
      > ASP certainly has the benefit of a large MS userbase and plenty of
      > help in terms of books, usergroups, and online tutorials. The
      > drawback is the platform and fairly expensive software apps to begin
      > to utilize the complete technology.

      No ASP is a Microsoft technology however to create asp pages all you need is
      a text editor.
      To test your pages on a server it pays to install one on your local system.
      If you have Win2k pro , the iis5 installation is an optional extra on the
      disk.
      iis personal web server is also available for free download at ms site for
      me 95 and 98.

      Notetab has a setting which allows your pages to be viewed via the local
      server
      view/options/html Files -- preview server-side , where you can set the local
      path to your web site and server name.
    • Rayburn Taylor
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
        I am new to the NTB-HTML list and using NoteTab, but have been using HTML for a
        long time. My question has to do with ASP and if NoteTab will work with it. What
        do some of you think about ASP? Is it a better was to code some things?

        Thank you for your time and help.

        Regards,
        Rayburn Taylor

        --
        TAYLOR's BOOK PAGE
        Returns Policy: Returnable within 10 days Shipping within the Continental U.S.:

        the people or person to which it is sent.
      • thefrank
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
          Hi Rayburn,

          ASP certainly has the benefit of a large MS userbase and plenty of
          help in terms of books, usergroups, and online tutorials. The
          drawback is the platform and fairly expensive software apps to begin
          to utilize the complete technology.

          It is my understanding that ASP is cookie-based, and the ASP sites I
          have seen typically use URL passed variables which are difficult for
          engines to index.

          PHP may be installed on MS server platforms, but is usually installed
          on Unix, Apache, RedHat, etc. to take advantage of better features
          available with Unix. PHP does not require cookies when
          installed on Unix, although sessions may be run which will set
          cookies. The new (PHP) Zend optimizer actually compiles the script
          into C for even faster platform-generated HTML docs.

          My experience has been that PHP, when coded properly, delivers faster
          than ASP, although I may be noticing the difference between well-
          coded PHP and poorly-coded ASP. PHP works equally as well with
          MSAccess, Oracle, PostRes, MySQL, MSQL, and simple wrappers can be
          built to transpose content from one DB to another.

          www.php.net
          www.zend.com

          regards,

          tf
        • Britton, Stephen
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7, 2001
            > ASP certainly has the benefit of a large MS userbase and plenty of
            > help in terms of books, usergroups, and online tutorials. The
            > drawback is the platform and fairly expensive software apps to begin
            > to utilize the complete technology.

            >> No ASP is a Microsoft technology however to create asp pages all you need
            is
            >> a text editor.
            >> To test your pages on a server it pays to install one on your local
            system.
            >> If you have Win2k pro , the iis5 installation is an optional extra on
            the
            >> disk.
            >> iis personal web server is also available for free download at ms site
            for
            >> me 95 and 98.

            I don't want to start a war over server-side scripting technologies, but I
            have
            to agree that Microsoft's ASP is among the most expensive server
            technologies.
            A copy of Microsoft's Windows 2000 Server will set you back at least $495
            (educational
            price)and then you have to invest in some heavy duty hardware to get decent
            performance
            because the Windows 2000 Server is such a memory hog. In contrast, the
            license
            for a Unix style server using Linux or FreeBSD is $0, and the hardware
            requirements
            are much less than Windows. (Of course, the learning curve for Unix is much
            steeper than Windows, and if you consider the time it may take to learn
            Unix, then
            Windows might be cheaper.)

            I have also found that companies offering NT and Windows 2000 hosting
            services
            tend to be more expensive than hosts who use Linux and BSD. I have to work
            with both
            Windows and Unix and I personally prefer Unix hosting services because they
            seem to
            be more reliable, less expensive, and most offer PHP support, which is among
            my
            favorite scripting languages.

            - Steve
          • Mike McCallister
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2001
              >Greetings all!

              This is my maiden post. I've been using NoteTab for awhile now, but am just
              starting to use it as a web editor. I'm reading Laura Lemay's "Teach
              Yourself Web Publishing" to regain some of my rusty HTML coding skills. She
              suggests using some sort of storyboard to plan a site. I'm wondering if
              there's a decent free/cheap app that can help me to visualize how my site
              should look?

              If you don't know of any specific app, how did you plan your site? All
              ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!

              Mike McCallister ProTek Writing Services
              workingwriter@... "Translation from the Geek a specialty"
              Phone: (303) 554-7533 Fax: (248) 282-0532
            • psteeper@ns.sympatico.ca
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 8, 2001
                Hi Mike,
                When I plan a site I like to create an Outline in MS-Word. In Notetab
                you can create outlines but I like Word better for this purpose.
                I use the Outline view in Word as I can create several levels, move
                the levels around, click to open or close and add descriptions. Of
                course you print it out to present to your clients.
                Using this it is easy to plan the menu structure and navigation for
                your site.
                I use Illustrator to create the visual look of my pages. I can use
                the web pallette to choose safe colours and I can easily move items
                around the page until I'm satisfied with the results.
                Then I code in NoteTab.
                Thanks to Eric, Jody and group for an excellent product!

                Peter Steeper
                Halifax, Nova Scotia
                Canada
                www3.ns.sympatico.ca/psteeper
                www.velohalifax.ca

                ..suggests using some sort of storyboard to plan a site. I'm
                wondering if
                > there's a decent free/cheap app that can help me to visualize how
                my site
                > should look?
                >
                > If you don't know of any specific app, how did you plan your site?
                All
                > ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!
                >

                > Mike McCallister ProTek Writing Services
                > workingwriter@e... "Translation from the Geek a specialty"
                > Phone: (303) 554-7533 Fax: (248) 282-0532
              • Lynda H. Markwell
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 8, 2001
                  > ..suggests using some sort of storyboard to plan a site. I'm
                  > wondering if there's a decent free/cheap app that can help me to
                  >visualize how my site should look?

                  Here's a wonderful app that I've used for lots of different types of
                  projects, from character-building to website project planning. It's
                  called MindManager, and is based on a nonlinear thinking approach to
                  problem solving. I've found the "lite" version, called eMindMaps, to
                  be equally satisfying for brainstorming and working out flowcharts in
                  website projects. MindManager is $119 for a single license (trial DL
                  available), but eMindMap is only $30 for single license (but no trial
                  DL). So try out MindManager (which includes mapping function), and if
                  your brain clicks with this type of approach, then you can purchase
                  whichever version suits your budget. From MindJet, both are available
                  at http://www.mindmanager.com

                  Lynda