CSS level 2

  • Piotr Bienkowski
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2001
      Hi,

      What browsers support CSS Level 2?

      It'd be nice to have the { display: table } { display: table-row }
      and { display: table-cell } for XML data.

      Somehow could not get it to work in MSIE 5.5 and NN 6.0. Or maybe I
      was doing something wrong?

      Regards,

      Piotr BieĊ„kowski
    • Grant
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2001
        > What browsers support CSS Level 2?
        >
        > It'd be nice to have the { display: table } { display: table-row }
        > and { display: table-cell } for XML data.
        >
        > Somehow could not get it to work in MSIE 5.5 and NN 6.0.

        Hi Piotr
        >Or maybe I
        > was doing something wrong?

        Maybe but if you don't post a snippet we can't tell.
        I assume you were talking about xml documents
        Below is a well formed xml document. give it an xml extension something
        like tabletest.xml
        Line 2 is a processing instruction which tells the parser to use a style
        sheet to display the xml document.

        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
        <?xml-stylesheet type="text/css" href="xsheet.css"?>
        <document>
        test
        test
        test
        test
        test
        test
        </document>

        The example style sheet 'xsheet.css' is in the same dir. and is as follows.

        table{
        display: table;
        width: 100%;
        text-align: center;
        border: thin solid black;
        }

        tr{
        display: table-row;
        }

        td{
        display: table-cell;
        border: thin solid red;
        }

        Ok we now have a test xml document and a related style sheet.
        the good news
        ...does display correctly in ns6 and opera 5.
        the bad news
        does not display correctly in ie5.5
        Conclusion ie does not recognise the css2 table related values for the
        display 'property'
        However I don't think it would be too hard mimic table styles using display:
        block and display: inline property values
        Something like

        tr{
        display: block;
        }

        td{
        display: inline;
        margin-left: 2em;
        margin-right: 2em;
        }

        Would get you consistent table like style display in ie5 ns6 and opera5 in
        xml docs.
        This is no excuse as it seems ie5 is now falling behind in appropriate
        standards support. How long ago did css2 become a recommendation?
      • thefrank
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2001
          > What browsers support CSS Level 2?

          The short answer is many, and none.

          My guess is that the Xtreme programming mentality is what pushes the
          new browser versions into distribution and use before full
          implementation of CSS (1 or 2) can be accommodated by the
          programmers. My sincere gratitude to Eric for his consistent
          resistance to follow the Xtreme aproach. NTP is not only a great
          product, but is developed as software should be, with thoughtful
          consideration (IMHO).

          I know of no commercial browser that fully supports either
          specification, which is to say only some of the tags and selectors
          will work in any browser that claims CSS support. It seems the
          browser vendors lost interest in fulfilling CSS when work on XSL
          (Extensible Stylesheet Language) development was announced. See:

          http://www.w3.org/Style/ (the whole banana, lots of pertinent links)

          http://www.w3.org/Style/XSL/ (re XSL and why)

          As far as using CSS2, a couple of reference links may help:

          http://css.nu/pointers/bugs.html (for bugs and workarounds)

          http://www.webreview.com/style/css2/charts/selectors.shtml (for CSS2
          specific selector use)

          The trick (as usual) is to code your stylesheet to display adequately
          in the browser platform(s) your target audience will be using. For
          intranets this task is usually easier, since one browser should have
          common use. For public use the nightmare begins: IE, Netscape, AOL,
          WebTV, Lynx, and Opera seems to be the current list in order of
          numbers of users, although this order is certainly arguable and can
          change dramatically when one begins to restrict the userbase (eg B2C
          vs B2B vs acedemic vs newuser...etc)

          (The exception to all of the above may be Amaya, published by W3C,
          free download, to demonstrate standards implementation. But if 99% of
          web users don't or won't use it for daily activity, what good is it
          except for development exercises?)

          regards,

          tf
        • Piotr Bienkowski
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2001
            On 4 Feb 2001, at 23:47, Grant wrote:

            > > What browsers support CSS Level 2?
            > >
            > > It'd be nice to have the { display: table } { display: table-row }
            > > and { display: table-cell } for XML data.
            > >
            > > Somehow could not get it to work in MSIE 5.5 and NN 6.0.
            >
            > Hi Piotr
            > >Or maybe I
            > > was doing something wrong?
            >
            > Maybe but if you don't post a snippet we can't tell.

            Hi Grant,

            Thanks for helpful tips.

            > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
            > <?xml-stylesheet type="text/css" href="xsheet.css"?>

            should there be a space before the ?>
            Seen different things in different books

            > the bad news
            > does not display correctly in ie5.5
            So I could be testing it forever :)

            However I don't think it would be too hard
            > mimic table styles using display: block and display: inline property
            > values Something like
            >
            > tr{
            > display: block;
            > }
            >
            > td{
            > display: inline;
            > margin-left: 2em;
            > margin-right: 2em;
            > }

            But then I would need fixed width for inline elements. Do they have a
            "width" property? Sure I can look that up myself in my references.
            And then the inline elements could only have one 'row' of text or
            else they would have to be blocks. But that would be fine in most
            cases.

            Thanks

            Piotr