RE: [NH] Re: Thumbnail Programs

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
      > I have used irfanview. Nice utility, fairly robust for features.
      >
      > A while back I discovered XnView. Also free, many export filters e.g.
      > PNG GIF JPG BMP WMF many others. What I really find useful is the
      > batch conversion feature to convert filetypes from say, BMP to GIF.

      I confirm that VnView appears to be a very nice program. (Thanks for the hint,
      Frank!)

      Amongst it's many other features is automatic generation of an HTML thumbnails
      page, where you can define the number of rows/columns of thumbnails to appear,
      their size, file format (GIF, JPG or whatever) and even do batch format
      conversion of the full size images, which will all be placed in a user defined
      folder.

      It's only disadvantage is a total lack of documentation, so it can take a bit of
      finding your way around. There does appear to be a newsgroup
      news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview - though it could be all in French, the first
      language of the author.

      It's home web site is also a bit confusing as there are so many
      language/platform versions available. (http://www.xnview.com/)

      But if you can get through all that and it is well worth it!

      Greg
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
        Hi Gang,

        Earlier I said...

        > I confirm that XnView appears to be a very nice program. (Thanks for the hint,
        > Frank!)

        > There does appear to be a newsgroup
        > news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview - though it could be all in
        > French, the first language of the author.

        A single post to the newsgroup has produced this response. That alone is enough
        to convince me that my allegiance to Irfanview may change!

        Hello,

        2 NEW newsgroup :
        * news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview.english for english user
        * news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview.dev for GFL SDK developer

        news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview is now only for french users !

        Regards. Pierre.

        Greg