Re: Thumbnail Programs

  • thefrank
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 31, 2001
      Hello All,

      I have used irfanview. Nice utility, fairly robust for features.

      A while back I discovered XnView. Also free, many export filters e.g.
      PNG GIF JPG BMP WMF many others. What I really find useful is the
      batch conversion feature to convert filetypes from say, BMP to GIF.

      The other feature I really needed that my version of Irfan would not
      easily accomplish is cropping. With XnView you just drag a box and
      then pull the handles, similar to any good graphics app. The
      difference is the status bar which gives exact px for cropped size so
      you know what your getting before you hit the button.

      Also has a color saturation conversion to specify your palatte depth.

      Between XnView and Xara ($80US for transparent channel manipulation,
      built-in browser previews with load times per modem speeds, and the
      best anti-aliasing I've ever found, bar none) anything for the web is
      quickly accomplished.

      regards,

      tf
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
        > I have used irfanview. Nice utility, fairly robust for features.
        >
        > A while back I discovered XnView. Also free, many export filters e.g.
        > PNG GIF JPG BMP WMF many others. What I really find useful is the
        > batch conversion feature to convert filetypes from say, BMP to GIF.

        I confirm that VnView appears to be a very nice program. (Thanks for the hint,
        Frank!)

        Amongst it's many other features is automatic generation of an HTML thumbnails
        page, where you can define the number of rows/columns of thumbnails to appear,
        their size, file format (GIF, JPG or whatever) and even do batch format
        conversion of the full size images, which will all be placed in a user defined
        folder.

        It's only disadvantage is a total lack of documentation, so it can take a bit of
        finding your way around. There does appear to be a newsgroup
        news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview - though it could be all in French, the first
        language of the author.

        It's home web site is also a bit confusing as there are so many
        language/platform versions available. (http://www.xnview.com/)

        But if you can get through all that and it is well worth it!

        Greg
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
          Hi Gang,

          Earlier I said...

          > I confirm that XnView appears to be a very nice program. (Thanks for the hint,
          > Frank!)

          > There does appear to be a newsgroup
          > news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview - though it could be all in
          > French, the first language of the author.

          A single post to the newsgroup has produced this response. That alone is enough
          to convince me that my allegiance to Irfanview may change!

          Hello,

          2 NEW newsgroup :
          * news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview.english for english user
          * news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview.dev for GFL SDK developer

          news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview is now only for french users !

          Regards. Pierre.

          Greg