Thumbnail program

  • Jan McClellan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2001
      >I have an additional question for the group about thumbnails. Does anyone
      >know if PaintShopPro V.7 will make thumbnails?

      Not about html but one I can answer. I just bought PaintShopPro V.7 and it
      will create thumbnails. Just go to: file | browse and there you are.

      And thanks for the suggestions concerning my losing access to NTB - all is
      fixed and I save the suggestions in case I do what ever I did that time again.
      Jan

      <http://www.designjewel.com>
      Wonderful Gemstones set in unique handcrafted designs of silver or gold.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2001
        Hi Jan,

        Thanks Jan and all that contributed to the thumbnail thread -
        even you too Eric. <bg> Although it may borderline what is and
        what isn't an HTML topic in some people's mind, IMO, it is most
        definitely a NoteTab and HTML list topic. :)

        >> I have an additional question for the group about thumbnails.
        >> Does anyone know if PaintShopPro V.7 will make thumbnails?
        >
        >Not about html but one I can answer. I just bought PaintShopPro
        >V.7 and it will create thumbnails. Just go to: file | browse and
        >there you are.
        >
        >And thanks for the suggestions concerning my losing access to NTB
        >- all is fixed and I save the suggestions in case I do what ever
        >I did that time again.

        http://www.notetab.net

        The NoteTab and Html List...
      • Lloyd
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 30, 2001
          Hi All,

          I have been reading so much about validators etc. here lately that I
          finally decided I should look into some of them. The next question is where
          do you start.

          I downloaded Tidy and ran it. It opens up a window like DOS. No menus, a
          few icons. I grabbed an html file and copied it to the DOS like window. It
          didn't appear. As I moved the mouse, up/down/back and forth, the file
          copied a few words at a time. Mixed into the middle of the file, there were
          a few "Line 28 needs ............., I couldn't get back to the top to see
          what the first error was and where I was it just didn't like my <b> and
          </b>'s. I didn't have them where it wanted them.

          I then went to the HTML2 clipbar. I tried all the variations with Use Tidy
          program and Use NoteTab commands. NoteTab commands seem to be the same as
          the Change HTML Tags on the Modify menu. The Tidy program didn't seem to do
          anything.

          I then tried CSE HTML Validator Lite v2.01. It seemed to find some errors
          and told me to buy the $129.00 version if I wanted more. I could correct
          the errors and save them back to the original file. That seemed good to me.

          Last but not least, I converted a file to XHTML with the modify menu of
          NTP. Then I ran that file through Validator. It didn't like any line. It
          didn't like the use of the (/) anywhere the conversion left one. About 30
          lines down, it told me to fix the errors it had all ready shown me if I
          wanted to see more.

          That brings me to my next problem. I have been thinking of trying to
          upgrade what I have been building to one of the XML's. I don't know which
          one I should try. Perhaps XHTML??? I am looking for a free tutor to show me
          what how to build with it.

          Lloyd
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2001
            Hi Lloyd,

            > I downloaded Tidy and ran it.

            That was your first mistake! :-)

            Read the HTML Tidy web page and about half way down you'll find the section:

            =====================
            How to run tidy
            tidy [[options] filename]*

            HTML tidy is not (yet) a Windows program. If you run tidy without any arguments,
            it will just sit there waiting to read markup on the stdin stream. Tidy's input
            and output default to stdin and stdout respectively. Errors are written to
            stderr but can be redirected to a file with the -f filename option.
            =====================

            If all that is gobbledy gook to you, then take heart. It's easy, with NoteTab
            when you know how.

            The NoteTab Help file says:

            =====================
            The easiest setup is to copy the Tidy.exe program file to the NoteTab folder,
            but you may place it anywhere else if you prefer.
            =====================

            What that fails to say is that if you decide to place your copy of TIDY.EXE
            somewhere other than your NoteTab folder then you need to adjust the NoteTab
            .ini file which should include a line similar to:

            TidyExe=C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\tidy.exe

            to point to your selected folder instead.

            Once you have TIDY in place, make sure the file you want to tidy is the active
            file in NoteTab and hit CTRL+F7 or choose "Tidy HTML code" from the TOOLS menu.
            You can also double click on the "Tidy HTML code" item in the HTML clipbook, or
            click on the appropriate clipbar button (if you have added the line:

            "HTML","Tidy HTML code","TidyHtmlCode.bmp"

            to your HTML.clb file to make the button appear). The clipbook/button runs a
            wizard which allows a number of options about how to tidy your file. With
            experience, you could, of course, edit this to run further TIDY.EXE options or
            even create a TIDY.CFG file in the folder where TIDY.EXE is, and exert still
            more control on how TIDY operates.

            Having started TIDY....

            If your file doesn't include a <!DOCTYPE> line then HTML TIDY will add one it
            thinks appropriate, given the style of your coding, and validate the file
            against that.

            For example, if you use lots of attributes to your <BODY> tag and don't have a
            link to a .CSS file then it will normally pick HTML3.2. Typically, I use a
            stylesheet and upper case tags and it normally selects HTML4.01 Transitional,
            unless I have been very picky in the tags I use when it will decide I've been
            trying to use HTML4.01 Strict. Once, for a test, by using lower case tags I
            even got it to recognise I was using XHTML!

            After it's run you'll probably find it will launch a new file within NoteTab
            which contains its output. This will be full of "Warning" lines and other
            suggestions and information about what TIDY has done. When you use TIDY like
            this, all the changes warned about will have been corrected in your original
            file. Note that the line numbers it uses to tell you where these changes have
            been made assume you do NOT have word wrap turned on, so you may need to turn it
            off to track down exactly what its done.

            All in all it's a wonderful program and does a great job. The only thing it
            doesn't do, as it's produced by those involved in setting W3C standards, is
            anything to tell you whether it's new improved code will actually show as you
            intend it to in a browser you haven't checked personally.

            > I then tried CSE HTML Validator Lite v2.01.

            Haven't tried this one because TIDY "worked for me!"

            > That brings me to my next problem. I have been thinking of trying to
            > upgrade what I have been building to one of the XML's. I don't know which
            > one I should try. Perhaps XHTML??? I am looking for a free tutor to show me
            > what how to build with it.

            It's XHTML you want and you could just let TIDY do it for you. Place a !DOCTYPE
            line at the start of your file which specifies XHTML, use NoteTab's facility
            modify things to XHTML standards and try it. TIDY will soon give you the clues
            about what's not acceptable!

            Greg
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
              Hi Lloyd,

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
                Hi Greg,

                I have saved this message(and printed a copy). I will try it step by step
                this afternoon. Some of the things you mentioned, I had stumbled across but
                I will try them all again.

                Thank you,

                Lloyd
                >Hi Lloyd,
                >
                > > I downloaded Tidy and ran it.
                >
                >That was your first mistake! :-)
                >
                >Read the HTML Tidy web page and about half way down you'll find the section:
              • MCMAIER
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
                  My thanks to Lloyd, I believe, for the helpful links re: thumbnails. I
                  downloaded the program Mr. F suggested and there seems to be some good
                  explanatory material in there. Many thanks. MM