RE: [NH] Please test CSS1 library

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 29, 2001
      > covers the subject. So I spent the weekend studying it and developed the
      > library that is now available. I hope there are no mistakes, or important
      > features missing, but I trust you will tell me if you find
      > anything that is
      > wrong.

      Boy are you a quick worker.

      I've just had a quick look.

      At the end of every rule place a semicolon ";"

      body{
      color: #006400;
      background-color: #FFFACD;
      font-family: Verdana,Helvetica, sans-serif;
      }
      If this semicolon ";" is left out the parser will ignore every property rule
      after .
      The only time you don't have to do this is in last rule.
      The ";" acts as a delimiter so you could go
      body{color: #006400;background-color: #FFFACD;font-family:
      Verdana,Helvetica, sans-serif}

      Lengths;
      All lengths must have a unit measurement or percentage value after it
      If you are going to use pixels as the default length unit specify px as the
      unit.
      margin-left: 3 /*wrong*/
      margin-left: 3px;/*right*/

      I've grown to like ems but that's another story.

      Don't mix case. Everything else seems lowercase except in the pseudos
      selector section.

      A:active {}
      is not the same as
      a:active {}

      When I first converted to xhtml, my uppercase css sheet ceased to style.

      Quoting string values;

      font-family: "Times New Roman, Times, Serif"
      I know you can quote a string value
      "Times New Roman"
      but I am not quite sure whether you can quote the whole comma delimited
      shebang.
      In any case it's not a requirement to quote anything so perhaps leave it
      out.
      font-family: Times New Roman, Times, Serif;

      Selectors;
      This is just a stylistic(no pun intended) readabilty scripty thing however
      when creating stylesheets, a common layout is

      body{
      color: #0000CD;
      background-color: #FFFACD;
      }

      The opening and closing brackets are clearly seen.
      Each property rule it's own line etc.
      If you use the w3c css validator , this is the format it reports in.

      so for the selectors section I suggest

      ^!InsertText ^?{Element name=^%Element%}^t{^&}

      Modified to

      ^!InsertText ^?{Element name=^%Element%}{^p^&^p}
    • Eric G.V. Fookes
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 30, 2001
        Hi everyone,

        Although several of you have created very good resources for CSS1, I still
        felt the need to develop a library from scratch for distribution with
        NoteTab. Although this new library is not as sophisticated as some, it has
        the look and feel of the others packaged with NoteTab. It also includes a
        CSS1 Clipbar. I hope no one has bad feelings that I haven't considered
        using their CSS library.

        You can download the "beta" version of the CSS1 library from the following
        link:

        http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/css1.zip

        To install, just extract the files into the appropriate folders. This
        library will work fine with NoteTab 4.83 (no need to use the beta of
        NoteTab 4.84).

        I must admit that I am no CSS1 expert, but I do have an excellent book that
        covers the subject. So I spent the weekend studying it and developed the
        library that is now available. I hope there are no mistakes, or important
        features missing, but I trust you will tell me if you find anything that is
        wrong.

        Thanks for your feedback.

        Regards,
        Eric G.V. Fookes

      • Grant
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 30, 2001
          > Good morning Eric,
          >
          > You wrote:
          > >Thanks for your comments Stephen and Michiel. So what's the best
          > approach?
          > >Double slash or not? What do others use?

          This thread is confusing.

          We are leaping between the style and the script tags

          I think Stephan confused matters when taking of putting style rules in
          script blocks.
          ><script type="text/css">
          ><!--
          >.prettyhuge{font-size:500px;}
          >-->
          ></script>

          This is a no no.

          Style rules go in style blocks

          Erics library Embeded Style clip produces
          <!--

          -->

          Actually comment blocks do not belong here and as far as I am aware there is
          no good reason the use them in style blocks.

          As far as script blocks go. Lotta's suggestion is the standard one,

          > <SCRIPT type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
          > <!--
          >
          > //-->
          > </SCRIPT>

          however using attrib language="javascript" is depreciated and therefore your
          documents will not validate as strict. html4 or xhtml

          If I'm not using external js files, as far as the comment blocks in script
          elements go, I don't bother and nowadays just go.

          <script type="text/javascript">
          function blaBla(){
          alert('bla')
          }
          </script>

          This will work as browser default to js is the scripting language so using
          the language attrib is irrelevant for those browsers that don't understand
          the more modern 'type' attrib.
          I forget about comment blocks because they are to cater for browsers that no
          body in their right mind still uses. I think we are talking pre2 or
          something. We are not talking about users turning of javascript but those
          browsers that do not recognise the script tag,... so we place our javascript
          in comment blocks .... then we need to create a workaround for 'the bug in
          the browser 'I think ns2' that tries to interpret the html comment block so
          we put javascript '//' commentblock in front of the closing html comment
          block. Is this esoteric or what..
          Forget it
          'the revolution will be standardised.'
          http://www.webreference.com/programming/javascript/standards/
        • Eric G.V. Fookes
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 30, 2001
            Hello Grant,

            > > covers the subject. So I spent the weekend studying it and developed the
            > > library that is now available. I hope there are no mistakes, or important
            > > features missing, but I trust you will tell me if you find
            > > anything that is
            > > wrong.
            >
            >Boy are you a quick worker.
            >
            >I've just had a quick look.

            Many thanks for your expert advice. I've taken your comments into account
            and am now in the process of uploading a new version...

            Regards,
            Eric G.V. Fookes

          • Eric G.V. Fookes
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 30, 2001
              Hi Grant and all,

              > > > covers the subject. So I spent the weekend studying it and developed the
              > > > library that is now available. I hope there are no mistakes, or important
              > > > features missing, but I trust you will tell me if you find
              > > > anything that is
              > > > wrong.
              > >
              > >Boy are you a quick worker.
              > >
              > >I've just had a quick look.
              >
              >Many thanks for your expert advice. I've taken your comments into account
              >and am now in the process of uploading a new version...

              The new version is now available from the following link:

              http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/css1.zip

              Regards,
              Eric G.V. Fookes

            • Michiel van Minnen
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 30, 2001
                On 30 Jan 2001, at 15:41, Eric G.V. Fookes wrote:

                [something about the new CSS1 library]

                I know it has nothing to do with CSS, but I suddenly remembered that
                there's a tiny mistake in the standard HTML clipbook, the script clip.

                It generates something like this:
                <SCRIPT>
                <!--

                -->
                </SCRIPT>

                At least some versions of Netscape interpret the --> as javascript,
                and generate an errormessage, so you have to comment it out.

                If I remember to do so I correct this to
                <SCRIPT>
                <!--

                //-->
                </SCRIPT>

                when I install a new Notetab.
                ( '//' before '-->' )

                This only works with javascript, so if you use vbscript it should be
                a single quote, like this, but I haven't figured out how to adapt
                this clip so it goes automatically.
                <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="vbscript">
                <!--

                '-->
                </SCRIPT>

                Met vriendelijke groet,

                Michiel van Minnen, Software Engineer
                --
                Bit-IC 'Thought is Reality'
                Rivium 1e straat 35

                T (010) 2 350 350
                F (010) 2 350 399
                E michiel.van.minnen@...

                To make your Thoughts Reality: www.bit-ic.nl
              • stephen
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 30, 2001
                  Hi all,
                  Actually all javaScript interpretors should ignore the html-endcomment -->
                  unless it is preceded by the double slash //
                  But to make things even more confusing, those same agents need the unadorned
                  version of the endcomment while interpreting style tags:
                  <script type="text/css">
                  <!--
                  .prettyhuge{font-size:500px;}
                  -->
                  </script>
                  (Thanks for the new library, Eric)
                  Stephen

                  Michiel van Minnen wrote:

                  > If I remember to do so I correct this to
                  > <SCRIPT>
                  > <!--
                  >
                  > //-->
                  > </SCRIPT>
                  >
                  > when I install a new Notetab.
                  > ( '//' before '-->' )
                  >
                  > <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="vbscript">
                  > <!--
                  >
                  > '-->
                  > </SCRIPT>

                • Eric G.V. Fookes
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 31, 2001
                    Hi all,

                    >Actually all javaScript interpretors should ignore the html-endcomment -->
                    >unless it is preceded by the double slash //
                    >But to make things even more confusing, those same agents need the unadorned
                    >version of the endcomment while interpreting style tags:
                    ><script type="text/css">
                    ><!--
                    >.prettyhuge{font-size:500px;}
                    >-->
                    ></script>
                    >
                    >Michiel van Minnen wrote:
                    >
                    > > If I remember to do so I correct this to
                    > > <SCRIPT>
                    > > <!--
                    > >
                    > > //-->
                    > > </SCRIPT>

                    Thanks for your comments Stephen and Michiel. So what's the best approach?
                    Double slash or not? What do others use?

                    Regards,
                    Eric G.V. Fookes

                  • Lotta
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 31, 2001
                      Good morning Eric,

                      You wrote:
                      >Thanks for your comments Stephen and Michiel. So what's the best approach?
                      >Double slash or not? What do others use?

                      I believe this is a common approach for JavaScript. The "type" attribute
                      being the strict way, the deprecated attribute language said to have better
                      browser support and added to get those that doesn't understand "type".

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 31, 2001
                        Hello Lotta,

                        > >Thanks for your comments Stephen and Michiel. So what's the best approach?
                        > >Double slash or not? What do others use?
                        >
                        >I believe this is a common approach for JavaScript. The "type" attribute
                        >being the strict way, the deprecated attribute language said to have better
                        >browser support and added to get those that doesn't understand "type".
                        >
                        ><SCRIPT type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
                        ><!--
                        >
                        >//-->
                        ></SCRIPT>

                        Thanks for the info. I've also found the double-slash usage in one of my
                        reference books. The HTML library will be changed appropriately.

                        Regards,
                        Eric G.V. Fookes

                      • stephen
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 31, 2001

                          > I think Stephan confused matters when taking of putting style rules in
                          > script blocks.
                          > ><script type="text/css">
                          > ><!--
                          > >.prettyhuge{font-size:500px;}
                          > >-->
                          > ></script>

                          Yes I did, sorry, my brain was dead. I'd need to reformat may hard drive was SO
                          excited about getting back on-line, but the same reason you want to put html
                          comment tags on script blocks goes for style blocks: older browsers will
                          interpret try to display code. Nothing really wrong with that, but why remind
                          some one that thier browser is not the latest and greatest?
                          The same being true of the 'language="javascript" attribute.
                          I know of at least two persons in their right minds who live in Silicon Valley,
                          aren't particularly un-wealthy and have access to computers at work, but still
                          use older systems at home. (I'd like to shout but I won't here.) Forgetting
                          about the comment coding is not a nice thing to do. It is so easy to include
                          them that not including them is insulting to any one who for any reason (and do
                          you want to really stand in judgement of thos reasons) is not using the latest
                          and greatest.
                          Nuff from me for now,
                          Love and light and all the good stuff,
                          Stephen
                        • Ken Brayton
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 31, 2001
                            Being on the digest version sometimes causes me to fall behind, but I want to comment on Grant's note.

                            When I first viewed the clip, my initial reaction was similar to Grant - put in semi-colons and put each option on a new line. Then I thought perhaps Eric did this intentionally because some people code styles on one line like this:

                            clsBlack {font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif font-size: medium color: black;}

                            Now, I prefer to do it Grant's way and would prefer you keep this format with the one additional enhancement: place a ^P after the ; so that the cursor is on the next line and I don't have to type a carriage-return. Anyone who wishes to place all the options on one line can easily do a Join Line command.

                            And since we're talking about personal preferences, I actually prefer a space before the {

                            This:
                            body {
                            color: #0000CD;
                            background-color: #FFFACD;
                            }

                            Not this:
                            body{
                            color: #0000CD;
                            background-color: #FFFACD;
                            }

                            But now we're really getting into personal preferences. The extra space helps me see the rule a little easier.

                            Great little clip. Thanks, Eric!

                            Ken Brayton
                            Albany, Oregon
                          • Lloyd
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 7, 2001
                              Hi All,

                              Well I picked up the free Netscape 6. Actually I paid $5.95 for a CD with
                              Netscape 6. I have been using a paid version of netscape since version 2
                              something. I figured load it and try it out.... wrong.

                              When I loaded it, the first thing I got was a notice: HTTP version not
                              supported
                              AdSubtract does not currently support HTTP/1.1. Please reconfigure your web
                              browser not to use it, or contact help@... for assistance.

                              What is AdSubtract? HTTP/1.1???? Is that what normal http is?? I am not
                              able to bring up anything. Tried yahoo.com. No, tried AltaVista. No.
                              Nothing. Reconfigure my web browser?? I just loaded theirs. I loaded
                              Netscape 6 for a web browser.

                              All this is way over my head.

                              Lloyd
                            • lloyd2
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 21 6:30 PM
                                Hi All,

                                I am working with a linked stylesheet. I want to change the color of
                                "link", "visited", and "active". I can change the colors but my problem
                                comes that I want to change it on some pages and not on others.

                                There must be a way.

                                Lloyd
                              • Robert Romberger
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 22 2:34 PM
                                  On 21 Jul 2003 at 20:30, lloyd2 wrote:

                                  > I am working with a linked stylesheet. I want to change the color of
                                  > "link", "visited", and "active". I can change the colors but my problem
                                  > comes that I want to change it on some pages and not on others.
                                  > There must be a way.

                                  Here is where the common.css and special style sheets comes into play.
                                  Remember that that styles cascade down, so that the last listed is the one
                                  that is used first.

                                  --
                                  Robert

                                  Thought for the day: By all means, let's not confuse ourselves with the
                                  facts! Anonymous