Re: [NH] Where is "tidy.exe?"

  • Lloyd
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 29, 2001
      Hi Wayland,

      I don't see any way to make a thumbnail but you can resize to 18 x whatever
      to retain the ration or 18 x 18 if the aspic ratio need not be maintained.

      Lloyd
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    • belliott@conknet.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 30, 2001
        Wayland,

        You asked if Paint Shlop Pro 7 will make thumbnails. As Jody replied,
        yes it will. It does it easily and well, although it doesn't use the
        term "thumbnails" for the process; but thumbnails are simply small
        versions of larger images. Here is the way I do it.

        Load Paint Shop Pro
        Press Ctrl+B to open the program's thumbnail browser
        Navigate to the folder containing the desired image
        Double click the desired image to open it
        Press Shift+S to bring up the Resize box
        Choose "Pixel size" or "Percentage of original"
        I use "Pixel size" and specify 100 or 150 width
        Make sure "Maintain aspect ration" is checked (for normal results)
        Press F12 and save the resized image with a different name

        I hope this helps.

        Bruce Elliott
      • Eric G.V. Fookes
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 30, 2001
          Hi everyone,

          I've found an excellent Freeware program for making thumbnails. It's called
          All Thumbs. You'll find it at the following URL:

          http://slideshow-refinery.com/

          I've used it to create the thumbnails on my Portfolio and Screensaver pages:

          http://www.fookes.com/portfolio/

          Regards,
          Eric G.V. Fookes

        • thefrank
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 31, 2001
            Hello All,

            I have used irfanview. Nice utility, fairly robust for features.

            A while back I discovered XnView. Also free, many export filters e.g.
            PNG GIF JPG BMP WMF many others. What I really find useful is the
            batch conversion feature to convert filetypes from say, BMP to GIF.

            The other feature I really needed that my version of Irfan would not
            easily accomplish is cropping. With XnView you just drag a box and
            then pull the handles, similar to any good graphics app. The
            difference is the status bar which gives exact px for cropped size so
            you know what your getting before you hit the button.

            Also has a color saturation conversion to specify your palatte depth.

            Between XnView and Xara ($80US for transparent channel manipulation,
            built-in browser previews with load times per modem speeds, and the
            best anti-aliasing I've ever found, bar none) anything for the web is
            quickly accomplished.

            regards,

            tf
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
              > I have used irfanview. Nice utility, fairly robust for features.
              >
              > A while back I discovered XnView. Also free, many export filters e.g.
              > PNG GIF JPG BMP WMF many others. What I really find useful is the
              > batch conversion feature to convert filetypes from say, BMP to GIF.

              I confirm that VnView appears to be a very nice program. (Thanks for the hint,
              Frank!)

              Amongst it's many other features is automatic generation of an HTML thumbnails
              page, where you can define the number of rows/columns of thumbnails to appear,
              their size, file format (GIF, JPG or whatever) and even do batch format
              conversion of the full size images, which will all be placed in a user defined
              folder.

              It's only disadvantage is a total lack of documentation, so it can take a bit of
              finding your way around. There does appear to be a newsgroup
              news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview - though it could be all in French, the first
              language of the author.

              It's home web site is also a bit confusing as there are so many
              language/platform versions available. (http://www.xnview.com/)

              But if you can get through all that and it is well worth it!

              Greg
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
                Hi Gang,

                Earlier I said...

                > I confirm that XnView appears to be a very nice program. (Thanks for the hint,
                > Frank!)

                > There does appear to be a newsgroup
                > news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview - though it could be all in
                > French, the first language of the author.

                A single post to the newsgroup has produced this response. That alone is enough
                to convince me that my allegiance to Irfanview may change!

                Hello,

                2 NEW newsgroup :
                * news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview.english for english user
                * news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview.dev for GFL SDK developer

                news://news.zoo-logique.org/xnview is now only for french users !

                Regards. Pierre.

                Greg